Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Active Home and Commander  (Read 6226 times)

raykaluski

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Active Home and Commander
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »

I have purchased X10 software for installation on my iPhone (X10 Commander) and on my desk-top PC (Active Home).

X10 turns lights and plugs on and off by remote (wired or wireless) control. An add-on called Active Home permits the PC to control and timer-control the same electrical functions. The iPhone part of the package is X10Commander which will permit me to control devices by iPhone when in the house, and, using Wi-Fi by internet, from anywhere in the world.

I am not a techno-whizz. The software asks for the HOST IP and the PORT used by the desk-top. I do not know how to find them (especially the PORT.) When I approached the software company I was told that others had managed and that they (company) would not "do it for me". The X10 people have been helpful but the software is not theirs.

Can you help me? I have had this installed on my iPhone and have been unable to use it for a few months now. What I need is someone who will lead me to connectivity in slow, detailed steps. As of now I think I have the HOST-IP, I do not know what or where a PORT is. When I fire it up I get this message:

Server Error: Server disconnected. Check host ###.###.2.3 and port #### are correct in main Setting application.

The COMMANDER I refer to is NOT the VCR COMMANDER

The COMMANDER
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:09:31 PM by raykaluski »

tybirdtybird

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: X10 Active Home and Commander
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »

Have you been to there website ? http://forum.melloware.com/ I know the port you set that up in your router.

Dr.Fiero

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »

Presumably you've got it to work locally (ie, when you're in the house) right?

What's the make & model of your router.

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:44:52 PM »

If you'll go to the melloware forum for X10 Commander by clicking this link  http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6423
you'll find a "connection issues FAQ" that will walk you through all the things you've asked about except configuring your router to open the required port.  As someone else has already mentioned, to help you with that we'll need the make/model of your router.

FYI, it looks like the Commander software defaults to port 6003.  Step four of the FAQ explains how to find your host I.P. address using the ipconfig command.

ITguy

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 04:10:15 PM »

I have purchased X10 software for installation on my iPhone (X10 Commander) and on my desk-top PC (Active Home).

X10 turns lights and plugs on and off by remote (wired or wireless) control. An add-on called Active Home permits the PC to control and timer-control the same electrical functions. The iPhone part of the package is X10Commander which will permit me to control devices by iPhone when in the house, and, using Wi-Fi by internet, from anywhere in the world.

I am not a techno-whizz. The software asks for the HOST IP and the PORT used by the desk-top. I do not know how to find them (especially the PORT.) When I approached the software company I was told that others had managed and that they (company) would not "do it for me". The X10 people have been helpful but the software is not theirs.

Can you help me? I have had this installed on my iPhone and have been unable to use it for a few months now. What I need is someone who will lead me to connectivity in slow, detailed steps. As of now I think I have the HOST-IP, I do not know what or where a PORT is. When I fire it up I get this message:

Server Error: Server disconnected. Check host ###.###.2.3 and port #### are correct in main Setting application.

The COMMANDER I refer to is NOT the VCR COMMANDER

The COMMANDER

Active Home or Active Home Pro?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

tybirdtybird

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:42:27 AM »

I have belkin router its under Virtual Servers where you setup the port. under  DDNS is where you setup your hostname. If your setup hostname throw dyndns.com Don't have the updater running on your pc someome told me that at there forum. I'm the same way not it guy i had to call someone out to get mine setup. do you have Static IP ? You might have to call your ISP for that i did.

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:38:54 AM »

Well, assuming you are using a router and not a direct-connect to the internet, you can do the following:

1.  Go to dyndns.com and get a free host name for dynamic DNS. For this example, let's assume you get something like www.mycommandersite.dyndns.org. Be sure and download the "DynDns updater" utility and install it on the HA pc.  That's the piece of software that lets dyndns.org know when/if your outside (Internet) i.p. changes.
2.  On the HA pc, change that pc to a static i.p. address in the same subnet as the rest of your network.  You do this from ControlPanel => Network Connections. 
3.  In the router, set up "port forwarding" so that requests that arrive on port 6003 (the Commander port) are sent to the static i.p. address of the HA pc.

Now when you're outside your network, you should be able to connect to www.mycommandersite.dyndns.org:6003 and be routed right to Commander on your HA pc. 

Make sense?

ITguy

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.