Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sudden failure of modules/control in one leg of electrical system  (Read 2121 times)

CharlieB2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I've been using Active Home Pro for several years, with control modules all over the house and outside.  There is an active phase coupler in the circuit breaker box. Also have several boosterlinc units, and also use filters.   All has worked fine.  But the other day, installed a new TV, and in the course of changing wires, got a huge hum.  Turned off everything and found disconnected wire.  But found that at least 4 control modules were burned out on one leg of the house electrical circuit on the opposite side of the room.  I replaced them and verified that they worked when controlled from that leg, but they will not work when controlled from the computer or a controller on the other legs, as they did before.
I figured that perhaps the phase coupler burned out, but when looking at it, the red led responds when I send x10 signals.  Could it still be burned out even though led responds?   How do you tell?
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do?   

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Sudden failure of modules/control in one leg of electrical system
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »

It sounds like that one circuit was hit with higher than normal voltage, perhaps due to an open neutral.  Depending on what the disconnected wire did, there might be a surge protector in your coupler that saw excessive voltage too, possibly popping a fuse.  Or it is possible that something else was damaged, and is now sucking down the X10 signal.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.