Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starting Macros  (Read 2137 times)

Rocket321off

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Starting Macros
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »

Why cant other things trigger macros to start? Like time of day.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: Starting Macros
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »

OK, now, you do have to read the AHP manual.  It doesn't explain everything, but on Page #27 it does list 4 ways to trigger a macro, one (trigger) of which is a timer.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 10:12:02 PM »

OK, now, you do have to read the AHP manual.  ........on Page #27

Years ago.. at work.. I bought software that allowed me to covert PDF files to a word file (it was just an OCR software). It could make us all look so cleaver... if we just copied and pasted the information already in the directions/instructions/manuals.

But I think what happens is the manuals can seem to make no sense or be imposable to understand when you don't understand the product. (I couldn't understand the instructions when I first read them.) Then as users start to understand X10... they rarely think to re-read the manuals/directions.

JMac I think your gentile reminder (see page 27) is the HELPFUL and solid advice that makes the community forum work as well as it does. (A Helpful from me).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »

But I think what happens is the manuals can seem to make no sense or be imposable to understand when you don't understand the product. (I couldn't understand the instructions when I first read them.) Then as users start to understand X10... they rarely think to re-read the manuals/directions.

I agree - manuals are often written by technical people who come to the task with a lot of knowledge. I know I've struggled with manuals and I'm a nerd.  I'm the type that, when confronted with a issue, I want to open the manual and have it direct me as quickly as possible to an answer.

Others don't mind reading a manual as they would a book - cover to cover.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »

I agree with JMac's advice also. This forum is littered with questions that could have been answered by looking at the manual (most X10 instructions are a half page in length...whats the excuse not to read it?).

How many times have we had to tell users that an xxxxEye will send Dawn/Dusk commands on the 'Eye's next sequential address, after they write in whining about modules mysteriously turning on and off.

I think from now on I will just paste the link for the instructions in the Reply and let the OP figure out that the answer is "in the reading"....or is that too "jerky"?

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Mel99

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:31:47 PM »

Not everybody has the ability to read a manual and instantly comprehend what the writer is saying.  Especially if the reader is new to the product.

I know I can't.  It takes time, experimenting and with luck, some help from understanding people who have been down that particular path before.

I've been told that people envy me because of how quickly I pick up things techy.  If they only knew... all of the wrong directions I go off in, the reams of notes I write and discard, the laying awake at night mulling it over, etc, etc.  Eventually, I start to get it.

Maybe an example of a macro of yours (that works) that uses time as a trigger.  Just sayin'...

BTW, I don't have any.  I use timers but have not had a need to write a macro triggered by time.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.