Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DIRDC X10 Infra-Red Transmitter  (Read 4268 times)

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
DIRDC X10 Infra-Red Transmitter
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:41:59 PM »

I am wondering if anyone has any technical information/schematics/etc... on the DIRDC Infra-Red Transmitter.  This device which uses the european X10 RF frequency will not work in the US.  I am wondering if this uses a daughter card RF receiver similar to the ones in the TM751 such that it may be possible to swap a TM751 daughter card into this unit and make it useable for US based X10 equipment.  I have several TM751s in the old parts box that are collecting dust and if I can use them to mod something  else and get use out of them, that would be nice.

Ultimately it would be nice if someone would manufacture a device like this for US X10 equipment.  The IRLinc was one that was similar for US based X10, but that is a discontinued device and is extremely hard to find.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: DIRDC X10 Infra-Red Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:52:18 PM »

....daughter card RF receiver similar to the ones in the TM751 such that it may be possible to swap a TM751 daughter card into this unit and make it useable for US based X10 equipment.

AWESOME IDEA!!!!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbemowsk

• PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »

I saw what this thing could do and I wanted one.  The ability to have my X10 system perform 16 IR on/off (32 total) commands that can be learned from any of my remotes, how cool is that.  I could get one for my living room upstairs, and one for my bar/home theater room in the basement.  It would be TRUE universal remote control.
Dan Bemowski

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 03:23:08 PM »

One _major_ problem in trying to automate appliances by emulating a remote with an IR transmitter is that very few (if any) have true Power_On and Power_Off controls, only a Power_On/Off toggle.  So unless you have some sort of feedback (either visual or via external circuitry), you can never be positive about the On/Off state of the appliance.

(One possible external circuit might be a current transformer in the appliance's line cord which is connected to an X10 Powerflash module.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »

I saw what this thing could do and I wanted one.  The ability to have my X10 system perform 16 IR on/off (32 total) commands that can be learned from any of my remotes, how cool is that.  I could get one for my living room upstairs, and one for my bar/home theater room in the basement.  It would be TRUE universal remote control.

I grabbed a Harmony some time ago and didn't play around with it that much - but isn't what you described perzactly what the Harmony does?

dbemowsk

• PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »

I grabbed a Harmony some time ago and didn't play around with it that much - but isn't what you described perzactly what the Harmony does?

What I am looking to do is have a device that is like the IR Commander that has IR transmitters that attach to the front of my equipment so that I can run my AV equipment using AHP or any other X10 controller.  This way I can do things like set up macros to ready my home theater with one button press.  I do realize that the harmony will learn another remotes commands, but I cannot send an X10 RF signal and have it turn on my TV or cable box. 
Dan Bemowski

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:52:02 PM »

I use the IR543 and a Harmony remote in my Home Theater. It allows me to have a one button [play movie] that does everything... lights included.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.