Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Extending CM15A with a TM571 for my Security  (Read 7479 times)

talk2bks

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Extending CM15A with a TM571 for my Security
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »

I have the large security system in a wide house. The CM15A is setting on one end of the house. I would like to connect my DS10A's to my ActiveHome, but the distance is too far. (Not too far for the security console but too far for the CM15a).

Is it possible to hook up my TM501 to the opposite end of the house and use that to send the DS10A's signal to the CM15A on the other-side of the house?

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
Re: Extending CM15A with a TM571 for my Security
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:41:07 AM »

Is it possible to hook up my TM501 to the opposite end of the house and use that to send the DS10A's signal to the CM15A on the other-side of the house?
I am guessing you mean your TM751.  One thing to note about the TM751 which is talked about in the forum quite often is the fact that the TM751 is not polite when it comes to PLC transmissions.  This means that it has no regard for other transmissions that may be on the power line and may walk all over them.  You can try placing the TM751 at a point furthest away from your CM15A, but any DS10As that are mid way between the CM15A and the TM751 may give you some trouble.

I don't know how comfortable you are with a soldering iron to perform a mod on your CM15A, but there are different antenna mods out there that will increase your range on the CM15A.  One of them involves exchanging the antenna with one from , ironically, a TM751 shown here.  Another mod involves removing the antenna and adding a coax f-connector and making an external antenna.  This link has the instructions for adding the coax connector, but it is an old link and the pics are missing.  This is a link where someone recovered the pics for the F-connector mod..  Then the last step is making an antenna.  I myself have found that the F-connector mod with the antenna is the best.  You can mount the antenna almost anywhere.  Many have mounted them in their attics.  I simply put mine close to the center of the house in the basement.  It covers all of my house and about 70 to 80 feet into my back yard. 

Performing one of the mods should improve your range to where you wouldn't need the TM751 at all.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:32:25 AM »

I believe the DS10As RF signal is what the CM15A is looking for and a TM751 would use a power line signal.
Antenna mod is best. Even it you just trying a longer piece of wire wrapped around the CM15As antenna.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:11:55 AM »

DS10's don't work with the TM751.  (at least not in my world) 

As Brian H pointed out, RF and PLC are like apples and oranges.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Kiteloop

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:34:14 AM »

I just bought an CM15 to work with a 7000 and had the exact same issue - it would not reach ANY of my sensors or typical locations for arming the system either.  I put in the antenna from the 751 and it is all good now.  Use the step by step listed in these forums.  I used the copper foil from the 751 and just stuck it to the plastic in the CM15 in the same manner - was quick - just need to solder one wire.
Bruce

talk2bks

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:00:54 PM »

I saw the mods for the antenna. Looks like that is the way to go.

I will probably go with the coax now that I have plenty of that stuff around.
Thanks so much for your help.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.