Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiple (isolated) CM11A’s For Alternate Timing Programs  (Read 10965 times)

Dave4720

• Helpful Post Rating: 13

Hey, I’m working on my wiring closet.  There are auto races here three times a year, and I want a different ‘program’ running in my CM11A during those days. I also want a vacation or away ‘program’ with different timings of events. I don’t want to program the temporary ‘program’ and then have to reload the standard ‘program’ each time I want to use any alternate ‘programming’.

So I want to run multiple CM11A’s with the different program scenarios.  I want to filter-isolate all unused CM11A’s with one or even two (in series) of the XPPF filters with an Enable Switch in parallel.  If the Enable Switch is OFF, the filter(s) are in series with the CM11A and no power line commands will make it to the house wiring, but the AC will power the CM11A (and run the clock) just fine.  Only the CM11A with the Enable Switch ON (bypassing the filters) will be “on-line” and have command access to the house wiring.  Yeah, I could just switch the CM11A off the AC and run on battery or an external power supply, but the clock timekeeping is HORRIBLE off the AC mains.

To enable one of these temporary programming schemes, flip OFF the current CM11A’s Enable Switch (inserting filter), and flip ON the temporary CM11A’s Enable Switch (bypassing filter).

As long as only one CM11A is “on the buss” at a time, there will be no stepping on each other.  Yeah, I love a complicated wiring closet, so that won’t be an issue.

What do you think?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Multiple (isolated) CM11A’s For Alternate Timing Programs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »

Pretty smart. Should work. Obviously you can have no "conditionals" taking place as the "off-line" CM11A will not see any powerline traffic taking place. There are also other automation program that will do this without the need of second  parrallel programmed CM11 (Homeseer, etc). 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dave4720

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 01:03:39 PM »

From the “in case anyone gives a flip” department, I thought I’d update my status.

I have four CM11As running on a console.  This console is a 14” x 14” hinged access panel.  Inside the wall studs, I have an XTB-IIR Transmit Booster, and a “plain” AC source with two XPPF 5A Filters in series.  I have DPDT AC switches (both hot and neutral) to switch the common input to the CM11As to either the XTB-IIR Transmit Booster or the 120kHz filtered “plain” AC source.  If in the XTB-IIR Transmit Booster position, the CM11A is ‘on line’; if in the filtered AC position, the CM11A is ‘off line’.

Everything works as planned.  If a module is ‘on line’, the programmed macros respond.  If a module is ‘off line’, it is deaf to the world.  I have alternate programming that I can select with the on line / off line switches.

It is well documented how the internal CM11A timeclock is a poor long-term time keeper.  With the off-line CM11As still connected to AC, the timekeeping is accurate.

Before I receive the flood of “you can do that with CM15 AHP”, I see so many ‘buggy’ posts and problems, so I’ll just stick with my 8-track-tape-CM11As.  And sometimes, the joy is just to do a thing and make it work.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »

Thank you for sharing you installation information.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 04:36:30 PM »

pictures!

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »

my 8-track-tape-CM11As

rofl

"Foghat" was the first 8 Track I owned. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.