Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: New Nstinct Remote  (Read 164046 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: New Nstinct Remote
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »

•Most of the buttons are smaller and not where I'm used to finding them.  I guess time will tell whether that's better or worse.     
•I find the white buttons with smaller black print harder to read and IMHO makes it look "cheap".
•The new positions of the volume and channel buttons are uncomfortable.  If I hold it with my fingers on the bottom in the indent that appears to be made for them, I have to bend my thumb nearly backward to hit the volume buttons.  I can see it needing two-handed

Well I have to agree it does make it look a little cheap. Also this s my first thought this thing would be smaller, seems kind of large compared to my Harmony which like I stated earlier I accidentally sat on.  :( anyone else feel it's kind of big. They make it seem much smaller in the picture. On the plus side I like the resolution seems sharp enough, and I really like the RF for my x10 stuff. Well for the money I guess it's OK will have to complete the programing first and give it a try.

Tom j.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:12:05 PM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »

Well got a few things programed not really to bad but a dedicated UBS would be nice that is if it worked  ;)  :D but saying you can program this thing in a few minutes is really a stretch. I do have a question though thinking the batteries I put in might be a little weak so I want to replace them if I take out the batteries will it retain all the programing I hope there's no mention of this in the manual. Actually this thing really has potential but I think it needs to be a tad smaller what do you guys think?? rally like the key lay out much better thinking I like the icons so much might get a more refined version in the Harmony of course if all works out I'll definitely keep this one not bad for thirty bucks, looking forward to your help Thanks!!

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »

Well I never looked at the manual in the box. Just the on line one I downloaded. Maybe they are different.  ;D
Page 8 under the battery information. It says it has permanent memory and will not forget during a battery change.
Only a master reset should clear all the data out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:05:07 PM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »

I ordered mine the day the pop up showed on the web site. 07/26/2010

I guess now we know why they use the pop-ups.... they work.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 10:49:12 PM »

Well I never looked at the manual in the box. Just the on line one I downloaded. Maybe they are different.  ;D
Page 8 under the battery information. It says it has permanent memory and will not forget during a battery change.

Yeah, the Nstincts and the older Icons both use nonvolatile memory for storing user setup.  One big plus for them!
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

tom j

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 11:01:06 PM »

I ordered mine the day the pop up showed on the web site. 07/26/2010

I guess now we know why they use the pop-ups.... they work.

Yep  rofl  :)%

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »

Thanks Brian! say what do you think about the size maybe I'm being just to picky. Thanks  ;D

Tom j.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »

... say what do you think about the size maybe I'm being just to picky. Thanks  ;D

Tom j.

Hey!  For a universal remote that does X10 and serves as an emergency flashlight, it couldn't be much smaller!   rofl
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

calldrin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2010, 12:10:08 AM »

Hey!  For a universal remote that does X10 and serves as an emergency flashlight, it couldn't be much smaller!   

Bill what do mean a flashlight.. did not see anything about that feature :-(

Chuck

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2010, 12:41:01 AM »

Hey!  For a universal remote that does X10 and serves as an emergency flashlight, it couldn't be much smaller!   

Bill what do mean a flashlight.. did not see anything about that feature :-(

Chuck

As stated by one of the Icon RF beta testers:
If you happen to have a hallway or stairwell that isn't lit by an X10 product...

The Icon Remote's backlight makes a great nighttime flashlight to get you to your destination...

:)%
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2010, 02:00:33 AM »

Okay, so, to sum up (and repeat myself a little)...

In comparison to the previous Icon Remote RF (my Icon RF being the last beta version before the public release):

• Most of the Nstinct buttons are smaller and not where I'm used to finding them.  I guess time will tell whether that's better or worse.    ???
  • I find the white buttons with smaller black print harder to read and IMHO makes it look "cheap".
  • The new positions of the volume and channel buttons are uncomfortable.  If I hold it with my fingers on the bottom in the indent that appears to be made for them, I have to bend my thumb nearly backward to hit the volume buttons.  I can see it needing two-handed operation more often than the Icon model did.
  • There are some new icons for TV channels, and maybe some new ones for X10 devices.
  • I haven't noticed any new additions to the IR code library, but I haven't really taken the time to step through every code for every brand, so it's entirely possible they've added some I've missed.
  • The RF range for X10 control seems to be slightly less than the Icon RF.  Maybe a foot or two.  Probably due to the new RF board.

Mostly, the Nstinct appears to me to be a repackaged Icon RF with slightly worse X10 RF range and a modified key layout.

Don't get me wrong!  It is still a great universal remote, with the ability to learn IR codes it doesn't already include, and the best support for X10 devices I've ever seen in a universal remote!   8)

It is a worthy replacement for the Icon RF, which IMHO was a pretty darned good remote.

My wish list for the next version:
  • Put the volume and channel buttons back up to the sides of the "ring".
  • Provide a connector and software to allow the end-user to apply firmware upgrades, add / remove custom channel icons, and generally program and back up all user settings with their computer.

That's my two cents... less tax where applicable.   :'
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

tom j

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2010, 02:22:37 AM »

Say Bill what about back lit keys that would be nice don't you think and of course make it a little smaller.  ;)

Tom j.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2010, 09:16:01 AM »

I had ordered another Icon IR32A RF remote, but they substituted the new IR34A.  At first I thought the buttons were better positioned, but their smaller size and closer spacing makes them slightly harder to use.  That is particularly true for the fast forward and rewind, which we use a lot for the DVRs.  However, I think the navigation, channel, and volume buttons are better positioned on the IR34A.  I agree that the white buttons do make the IR34 look cheap compared with its predecessor.  I would have preferred to receive what I actually had ordered.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:10:38 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2010, 04:47:05 PM »

Hey guys!  >!

I'm thinking of getting IR34 too, although can't come up with good justification. But do have a couple of questions about the new IR34 if someone can help.

1. Are the buttons on the IR34A made from that soft elastomer foam? Every cordless phone I have that uses that material, the button marking wears off fairly quickly.

2. Those of you that have the IR27 (or IR32) do you think the IR34 has better RF range?

Ya know Bobby Janovich during the beta test of the IR27, said there was "strong talk" about adding a PC interface so the ICON could down load new remote control code libraries. Apparently the development costs was too much, but personally I think X10 would have made it back since PC interface is a good selling point. Yeah, I know I'm preaching to the choir, I just like to "bump" the thought every so often in hopes someone at X10 might read.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2010, 11:52:40 PM »

1. Are the buttons on the IR34A made from that soft elastomer foam? Every cordless phone I have that uses that material, the button marking wears off fairly quickly.
I don't know what they are made of specifically, but they're not hard plastic (except for the "side keys" next to the LCD display).

2. Those of you that have the IR27 (or IR32) do you think the IR34 has better RF range?
As I posted above, it seems to have about a foot or two shorter X10 range than the beta version of the Icon RF.  The RF range to the Powermid seems about the same though.
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.