Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decorative Wall Switch  (Read 7007 times)

adamsdaddy

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Decorative Wall Switch
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »

I've been having fun adding to my x10 system.  I have a few things here and there, mostly external plug in things.  I'm ready to start switching out outlets and light switches but I have a question.  I am going to switch out my normal switches with some decorative x10 wall switches, both the dimming and on/off types. I occasionally plug in a device or 2 that messes up my x10 signal.  I'm still tracking down which ones mess up the system.  I need to know if the wall switches manually turn on/off the lights when physically pressed.  I need to know that if the remote doesn't do the job that I can go to the switch and physically turn it on and off.  I am not sure if the switch is manual or if, when pressed, broadcasts the signal to turn things on/off.  I am specifically looking for the answer to the decorative wall switch but it would be nice to know the answer for both styles of wall switches.  On a similar question, how does this apply to the 3 way companion switches.  Do they broadcast a signal or are they physical devices? 

Thanks for the help.

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
Re: Decorative Wall Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:15:28 PM »

Yes, the decorative wall switches turn on/off your lights at the switch (with a clunk on the fluorescent-compatable on/off type).

The companion switch is merely a momentary pushbutton that activates the main switch...

There is a post here somewhere that gives instructions for turning a regular on/off decorator switch into a (momentary) companion switch.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:14:39 PM by nybuck »
>!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:59:03 PM »

X10 switches do not send any signals on the power line. They are receivers only. So locally turning a switch on and off will not send a signal back on the power line to update things like AHP.

Some other brands like the Insteons do send an X10 signal back on the power line if an optional X10 address is added to them from a local actuation.
Though they don't send the proper X10 dim signals as X10 chose one method to send dims and Smarthome the other.
They do send a proper X10 on and off.

There are X10 Keypad switches that are a controller mounted in a wall switch socket.

Also the On/Off relay type switches need a neutral power wire to work.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »

What adamsdaddy is referring to is a WS12 Two Way Wall Switch.   AHP will recognize them if you use the WS13A-A.   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »

WS12 is not a two way switch it does not transmit back any data when actuated.
It can be used with a WS14A companion switch in two way applications.
If you call it a WS13A; which is a relay type switch; I doubt you could dim it through AHP.
Since none of them send a signal back on the power line. AHP will not see a local paddle activated change.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:43:47 PM by Brian H »

adamsdaddy

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 04:55:19 AM »

I have the normal appliance and dimmer boxes that plug in the wall.  I have a transmitter that plugs in the wall that has a manual on/off switch.  I like this.  When I first setup my system I had a window fan plugged into the transmitter box set on A1.  Occasionally (when I plugged my laptop into the wall) the fan would not turn on or off.  It was nice to just push the button and make it work manually.  I was still stuck with the other appliance box the other fan was plugged into not working properly since it only works through the signal in the wall and not RF.  The fan was in a difficult place to reach. I would either have to climb over furniture to turn it off or unplug it from the wall since it wouldn't see the signal with the laptop plugged into the wall.  Now that I am considering replacing wall switches I just want to make sure that if I have another issue with a laptop messing up my signal that I can still walk over to the switch and KNOW that it will turn off.  I have never seen one yet except online so I have not had a chance to play with them.  X10.com has some on sale at 6 for 30 bucks.  Thats worth the $5 each investment to try them out.  So if I am reading the previous responses correctly, they work manually.  They receive a signal just like every other x10 device but when the switch is manually turned on/off it it's just like the manual on/off switch on my transmitter.  Push it and it will work no matter what.

Thanks for all the help.  This is a great place for a newbies to learn their stuff.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:38:59 AM »

Getting an X10 power line filter for the Laptop would help that problem.
Many devices are known for X10 signal problems. Computer and laptop power supplies are many time a problem.

The X10Pro XPPF is a good filter for small loads like a laptop power supply.

Yes the WS477{Toggle style dimmer} WS12{decorator style dimmer} WS13{Decorator style non dimming} should all turn on and off from the local control

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »

If you are looking for decorator style wall switches that will update AHP, the XPT switches are very nice.  They are a little pricey though and you have to buy 2 parts, the transmitter module, and a switch plate.  The XPT switches do not control a light/appliance locally from the switch itself.  It is an X10 transmitter that mounts in a wall switch box.  You need either plug in lamp modules, wired in modules or SuperSocket wall outlets for this to work.  The nice thing is that you can get switch plates that give you up to 4 switches for different devices.  I have one in my living room that has 3 unit on off with dim control with 3 lamp modules controlling the different lamps in the room.  AHP gets updated whenever I turn on a light.  One nice thing is that if I choose to move the room around and change the placement of the lamps I can just move the lamp modules to wherever they work best.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.