Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15a USB connection problem  (Read 6039 times)

TomHF

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15a USB connection problem
« on: November 17, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »

HI all - I'm new to this forum but have been an X10 user for many years. I just reluctantly replaced my old CM11a with a CM15a because the old unit bit the dust.

I had no problems setting up the CM15a yesterday and I tested it with several light control modules overnight - all worked well.  Yesterday, I unplugged and replugged the USB cable multiple times to "tweak" the timer settings with out any problems.

This morning, after a computer shutdown and reboot, I tried to plug in the USB cable and got an error message saying that the CM15a was an "unknown USB device".  The only way I could get the CM15a to reconnect was to do a battery out reset.

Is this a problem with my computer or is there something I failed to do when I did the initial setup? This is not a major problem, rather than a minor inconvenience but I would like to try to resolve it anyway.

TIA for any advice and I apologize if this subject has already been covered in previous posts

Tom

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: CM15a USB connection problem
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »

I presume you have Active Home Pro as the CM15A will not work with Active Home.  Also, do you have AHP version 3.236?  Be aware it is a known buggy release.  There are instructions here on how to backdate to an earlier version of AHP, do a search for it.   You should not have to unplug the usb cable for any timer/macro  "tweaking".
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TomHF

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »

I presume you have Active Home Pro as the CM15A will not work with Active Home.  Also, do you have AHP version 3.236?  Be aware it is a known buggy release.  There are instructions here on how to backdate to an earlier version of AHP, do a search for it.   You should not have to unplug the usb cable for any timer/macro  "tweaking".

Yes Dan - I do have the 3.236 version of Active Home Pro.  I was unplugging the CM15a because I was trying to find a location that would work with one module that was problematic. I worked the problem out by relocating the module to a different location and now everything is fine except for the minor glitch that I mentioned in my original post.

You say the latest software version is buggy -  then maybe I should try one of the earlier versions as you suggested.  Could you at least give me a hint as to what version I should be trying and maybe a link to the instructions that you referred to.

Thanks for any help you can give me - Tom

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:43:44 PM »

Surely. Go to http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/ and look for ahp_updt_204.exe.  Save that and install it over 3.236.  It will not affect your .ahx files (where timers and macros are stored on your hard drive.)   When the install is complete, open AHP and use the update link to update AHP to 3.228, which is the last good version of AHP.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TomHF

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »

Surely. Go to http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/ and look for ahp_updt_204.exe.  Save that and install it over 3.236.  It will not affect your .ahx files (where timers and macros are stored on your hard drive.)   When the install is complete, open AHP and use the update link to update AHP to 3.228, which is the last good version of AHP.

Thanks again Dan - it seems that the system has stabilized and is now working flawlessly. I will look into the downgrade if I have any problems in the future.

I initially hated the thought of giving up the old CM11a/AH that I had used for so many years, but the new CM15a/AHP has a lot more to offer than the old setup.   But I guess you knew that!!  Makes you wonder - why doesn't everyone have one of these ?

Tom - and have a good Thanksgiving

schnurro

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »

Doesn't matter which driver.exe version or ahp_204 plus 64bit stuff don't work either, that I try on Windows 7 the VA12A and CM15A won't work.  They both look like they are installed correctly in device manager with no exclamations but when I open Active Home Pro it says the USB VA12A is not connected. #:)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »

schnurro As to date all your posts are complaints! >*<
Not once have you asked for help from this community ::) :' which we as volunteers are here to do!  ;)
There are several reasons why you could be having trouble. One is your version of AHP (not designed for the VA12A or Win7)
Instead of ranting try asking some of the users here for help! You'll find more then one who is willing to help and many more that are more knowlegeable with AHP then x10 staff!!
 >!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:13:23 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

schnurro

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:34:43 AM »

I finally figured it out my problem for Windows 7 on my new computer and the problem was I needed to have both the CM15A and the VA12A on the computers USB as well as my Sierra Wireless Internet stick on the computers USB as well.  A powered hub did not work as X10 suggested which I went out and bought one to no avail to try on my old computer.  Never did get AHP installed and working properly on my old XP Home computer. 

Now the Active Eye and Eagle Eye sensors were the next problem.  The sensors needed to be a lot closer to the CM15a and not through the wall of the house but within line of sight through a window to the CM15a instead.  If you are having trouble with your macros not working try carrying around your sensor to see where it chimes at.... thats where you can mount it!  I suggest you don't mount your sensor first.

schnurro

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 03:49:37 AM »

Whoops ... I spoke too soon... I probably should not have tried the older version of AHP on windows 7 .... I got the VA12A white out video screen trying to view the video on my computer even though the CM15A and VA12A look installed properly in device manager so I went back to try the newer version 3.236 again!  The macros probably were working and I just thought they weren't due to my motion sensor not being close enough to the CM15A.  I upgraded to 3.236 and now I can see my Sentinel cameras live video in AHP.

wkc

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 06:08:43 PM »

This morning, after a computer shutdown and reboot, I tried to plug in the USB cable and got an error message saying that the CM15a was an "unknown USB device".  The only way I could get the CM15a to reconnect was to do a battery out reset.

Wow!  This thing sure is buggy.  I searched around and found this thread and still nothing could get it work.  Finally tried the "battery out reset" and it worked!!  Thx TomHF!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.