Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help me automate my thermostats  (Read 3705 times)

synthsis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help me automate my thermostats
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »

Hi. New to the forums, been reading about X10 stuff for years, just haven't taken the plunge yet. Basically, I'm looking to control 4 (or more) different thermostats in my house. It's not that I live in a mansion, I have radiant electric heat in the ceiling (yup, you read that right) in each room. This is actually a great system since it allows me to set the temp of every room in the house. The only problem is, I need to keep remembering what temp each is set at and go around adjusting them throughout the day. Right now I have analog thermostats in each room and I'm looking to replace them with something more accurate and something I can control remotely. From what I've found by pulling one off the wall it's actually a rheostat since it runs the full juice from the breaker box up to the ceiling.

I guess my question is, can I put a system in place to control everything remotely from a computer so that I have the ability to set each rooms temp to go up and down as desired.

thanks  >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Help me automate my thermostats
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:18 AM »

The thermostats are line voltage type and not the low voltage controls most of us maybe familiar with?

synthsis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:32:25 PM »

correct, i believe. meaning that high voltage actually runs through these thermostats, thus making them essentially a rheostat. Digital ones are available for applications like mine, I'm just looking for a tied together system I can control all at once.

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »

You could still wire in a thermostat with a wiring block and a 24VAC transformer I beleive.

You should contact RCS and see if they have a solution for you.

http://www.resconsys.com/contacts/index.htm

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.