Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM11 wan't talk with Windows 7 PC  (Read 20509 times)

Cybirian

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM11 wan't talk with Windows 7 PC
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »

Hi All,

I got a new laptop and want to use my X10 stuff, now is this still with RS-232 port.
I use standard softwarewith a hardware USB to RE-232 converter.
Hardware is reconginized and i'm sure that COM3 is not in use for anything else.
Is there an option to get my CM11 to talk to my laptop an vice-versa i do i need a newer control unit with USB?

Thnx,
C.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: CM11 wan't talk with Windows 7 PC
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »

Hi All,

I got a new laptop and want to use my X10 stuff, now is this still with RS-232 port.
Hardware is reconginized and i'm sure that COM3 is not in use for anything else.
Is there an option to get my CM11 to talk to my laptop an vice-versa i do i need a newer control unit with USB?

Thnx,
C.

The converter you have should work.  Check it's documentation to see what COM ports it has.   Install the software and see if recognizes the CM11A.   Active Home is so old,  the software may not run under 7, you may have to use the XP emulator to run it.     
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:28 PM »

Also, not all USB to RS-232 dongles are created equal.

I have read a few posts on this forum stating that some don't support all the signal lines like they should and will prevent communication with the CM11A, no matter what OS you're running.
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »

Could be.
The serial cable has RD {Receive Data};TD {Transmit Data};Signal Common and RI {Ring Indicate}.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 01:16:24 PM »

Hi All,

Thnx,
C.

another thing to try might be another X10 product.
Like EasyX10.

If it's able to see the CM11A, then you know there's nothing wrong at the hardware level and you can work from there.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 02:11:58 PM »

As long as EasyX10 uses the RI signal that the CM11A outputs and AH seems to need. Then it maybe a fair test of the hardware.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »

Good point.

In the end my experience has been:
- the prolific PL2303 chip seems to be prevalent in the low cost USB-Serial converters
- there are a few versions of that chip
- one (version) didn't work for me, under Linux, one did
- all of them worked fine for me under XP

I don't have '7' to try.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »

I looked at EZX10's site and according to it, support is only through XP so Cybirian is still stuck with XP mode in 7 or replacing the CM11A with AHP and the CM15A. 

jimpster

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »

I've had mixed success with CM11 with windows 7

1. Worked on a fresh install of 64bit, real com port
2. Works on a 32bit Virtual machine on windows 7 64 bit host thru USB/Com (different computer than above).
3. Doesn't quite work on the win 7 64 host via usb/com above.

Now I'm using a CM19a

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »

The CM19A is not like either the CM11A or the CM15A.  It needs a transceiver to put signals on the power line.  So, you are stuck with the CM11A or convert to AHP and the CM15A.

Cool Javelin

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 02:12:45 PM »

I know this is an old topic, but one thing to consider...

I found a whitepaper on things that can cause the CM11A to lockup. Some have to do with attaching the serial cable incorrectly.

The whitepaper can be found on the old free software called heyu on their documentation page. I cannot post a link, but search for heyu.org, go to their documentation page, and click the CM11A_Reliability.txt link.

I personally have caused mine to lockup a couple of times. Recently, I think I ran into a type 4 lockup. Too bad too, as otherwise the CM11A is a pretty good device. I prefer serial ports over USB for stuff like this but I can't tell you why (maybe I am old fashioned, or maybe I am just old.)

Anyway, try unplugging the CM11A, removing the batteries for an hour, then attaching the serial cable before plugging in to the wall.

Good luck.

Mark.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 04:40:20 PM »

I know this is an old topic, but one thing to consider...

I found a whitepaper on things that can cause the CM11A to lockup. Some have to do with attaching the serial cable incorrectly.

The whitepaper can be found on the old free software called heyu on their documentation page. I cannot post a link, but search for heyu.org, go to their documentation page, and click the CM11A_Reliability.txt link.

I personally have caused mine to lockup a couple of times. Recently, I think I ran into a type 4 lockup. Too bad too, as otherwise the CM11A is a pretty good device. I prefer serial ports over USB for stuff like this but I can't tell you why (maybe I am old fashioned, or maybe I am just old.)

Anyway, try unplugging the CM11A, removing the batteries for an hour, then attaching the serial cable before plugging in to the wall.

Good luck.

Mark.

The findings you refer to in the Heyu white paper are not quite that simple. Have you ever used Heyu with the CM11. Remember Heyu is a reverse engineering attemp at interrogating the inner workings of a CM11 and doesn't necessarily reflect the full implementation of its firmware.

The solution you provided for a locked up CM11 can also point to symptoms of a slowly failing CM11. If you're finding that you need to resort to this solution more regularly that may be the cause of your issue.

Using a CM11 in Linux requires that you wipe the EEPROM clear of any macros or timers that may reside on the EEPROM and removing the backup battery completely as it will no longer be needed with HEYU and usually causes symptoms you outlined. Clearly if using Windows and I assume AHP you'll do all your clearing up in the GUI.

You haven't mentioned if you are attaching your CM11 via serial to serial or serial to USB. Again this introduces a whole new set of considerations in itself. By all means if that workaround works for you use it but don't be surprised to see a non functioning CM11 one of these days.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.