Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Multi directional antenna modification  (Read 33780 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Multi directional antenna modification
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »

Two of the pots adjust the highest and lowest frequency.
The switch adds different 1% resistor combinations to the VP voltage.
What resistors are on the board is determined to which frequencies are allowed for the country in question.

Ch 1 VP=1.6V
Ch 4 VP=4.6V

No crystal. Voltage variable capacitor diode in the oscillator.

The Baseband adjustment takes the 1Vpp Video/Sync from the video sensor board and lowers it to .4 Vpp for the modulator.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »

No xtal uh?
So do you think they are just using an L-C oscillator to develop their fundamental? Doesn't really matter, the fact that users making the mod to an omni antenna has not lost their video transmission indicate to me that TX freq is stable (continuing the WAG). I'm still looking for that naked antenna pix.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »

I've never cracked one of the paddles open, but would be interest to know if there's a "Fractal Antenna" plate inside. 
Found a pix.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17716.0

The plate looks solid to me.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 12:42:20 PM »

Yes it does.
Some of the construction plans on RC-Cam also seem to show the antenna as a solid plate patch antenna.

http://www.rc-cam.com/index.htm

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »

Yup, I think the Knight was giving too much credit to X10 when thinking X10 might be working with fancy high tech antennas. That would take extra parts and cost a few cents more.   :'

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 03:09:44 PM »

Darn.  The Sad thing was that Chins and I worked over email on that mod before it was posted.  I should have known. 

You are right.  Hi-tec thingies like fractal antennas excite me, and I was giving too much credit to the company.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 04:08:25 AM »

And why can't x10 make improvements like this it would only result in INCREASED sales, heck I would have bought more cameras if the antenna on the receivers were multi directional.

Tom j.
$0.02
I think X10's original design called for the paddle antenna because their camera transmitters are VERY low power out, and a directional antenna (the paddle) provides signal gain in the direction the paddle faces. Maybe when they decided to get in the video business they didn' invision the Ninja, so they did not contemplate the effects of the pan when the camera is mounted to a Ninja P&T unit. I think us old "RF geezers" has many times scratched our collective heads, wondering "why did they do that".

If me, I would try the router antenna on the video receiver first. Receivers are less sensitive to antenna mismatch that transmitters. Then move on to the camera mods if the receiver mod does not fix your problem. Several regulars have modded their cameras with great results (i.e Dave X10).

Thanks Dave! say why do you think the reception is better just seems like a piece of plastic and wire.Apparently it worked but I'm curious as to why the reception actually improved., And it would be nice if X10  could update thing now and try to improve the reception when you have have multiple cameras it's very difficult to adjust that directional receiver so everything comes in clear.

Tom j.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 06:03:03 PM »

And it would be nice if X10  could update thing now and try to improve the reception when you have have multiple cameras it's very difficult to adjust that directional receiver so everything comes in clear.
Tom j.
If both camera and receiver paddles were aimed exactly at each other, then I would think the paddles would produce a slightly stronger picture than the "Omni" stick antenna. These paddles at 2.4 GHz *begin* to resemble the directional sensitivities of microwave dishes. Even a few degrees off center will degrade the signal.

As far as X10 switching to omni antennas, Yeah, it would nice, but to change the antenna design would force X10 to go through a new "Type Acceptance" with the FCC. That costs a bunch, so I don't expect to see it unless they come out with a new camera and would have to go through testing for the new design.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 01:26:08 AM »

And it would be nice if X10  could update thing now and try to improve the reception when you have have multiple cameras it's very difficult to adjust that directional receiver so everything comes in clear.
Tom j.
If both camera and receiver paddles were aimed exactly at each other, then I would think the paddles would produce a slightly stronger picture than the "Omni" stick antenna. These paddles at 2.4 GHz *begin* to resemble the directional sensitivities of microwave dishes. Even a few degrees off center will degrade the signal.

As far as X10 switching to omni antennas, Yeah, it would nice, but to change the antenna design would force X10 to go through a new "Type Acceptance" with the FCC. That costs a bunch, so I don't expect to see it unless they come out with a new camera and would have to go through testing for the new design.

Oh I see I was wondering why they hadn't changed the design, and I agree completely just a minor shift in direction can make a significant difference. Think it would be a worthwhile project if you're using multiple cameras? Thanks

Tom j.

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »

I think we need to put our heads together and build a 2.4GHz yagi.
20dB gain... let's end this problem  :)
relax, I'm just kiddin'
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:49:16 PM by troll334 »
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »

I think we need to put our heads together and build a 2.4GHz yagi.
20dB gain... let's end this problem  :)
relax, I'm just kiddin'
Ya know troll....I have a bunch of Roomba's (another story for another day) and at least two ebay vendors have made a nice little cottage industry out of reworking the Roomba brush box to install shielded ball bearings to help prevent dust and hair from gumming up the brush box gear works (the main weak link in the Roomba...a vacuum cleaner who's nemisis is dirt, go figure).  Maybe one of us should consider the "X10 Video Camera Rework Shop"...or team up, after todays snow and tomorrows sub zero cold, I am ready to be your neighbor.

"Have Weller - Will Solder".  (nobody will get that.. I don't know why I said it).   :'

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »

"Have Weller - Will Solder".  (nobody will get that.. I don't know why I said it).   :'

What? You mean someone might not remember Richard Boone's greatest part as Paladin. Paladin was a gun slinger and his biz card read "Have gun will travel". Also the name of the show. This Video should jog a rusty memory.

And of course Weller is the name [brand] of soldering irons.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:55:17 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 08:00:28 PM »

What? You mean someone might not remember Richard Boone's greatest part as Paladin. Paladin was a gun slinger and his biz card read "Have gun will travel". Also the name of the show. This Video should jog a rusty memory.

And of course Weller is the name [brand] of soldering irons.

Way cool!! But Dave, we are both dating ourselves as "old geezers". As far as jogging a rusty memory...mine is past rusty...more like petrified.

I pulled this thread way off course, but it was closing anyway.

So who came first, Festus or Chester?  :'

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »

First of all, I'm not a geezer, but I well know "Have Gun Will Travel".  I'm not a fan of the Weller guns for electronics though.

Darn, now how am I going to get that song out of my head?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »

So who came first, Festus or Chester?  :'

I can't remember when  Dennis Weaver [playing Chester Goode] finally decided to leave the show. But I may have graduated high school by then. Festus was Chesters replacement.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.