Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 security system installation problems.  (Read 14391 times)

eppaconsulting

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 security system installation problems.
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »

I recently purchased an X10 PowerHouse security system (see attached PDF copy of the receipt.    I am VERY pleased with the features (e.g., dial out alerts, arm-away AND arm-home, etc.).   However, I continue to have problems.   

I hope I'm not rambling on and on here;  I'm only try to clearly explain the problem I'm having and avoid any "Have you tried . . . .?" questions, so . . . . .

From the beginning, per instructions on page 6 of the Owner's Manual, I slid off the battery compartment cover and clipped a 9V battery onto the contacts, slid the battery back into the compartment, and replaced the cover. The red battery LED on the front panel did *NOT* come on --- the green AC light came on even though I'd not yet plugged the cord in. I plugged the AC cord in and successfully installed the remote control, 5 door/windows sensors, and 2 indoor motion sensors.

Everything SEEMED to work well!

However . . . .

After approximately 5 - 6 hours, the red LED on the front panel of the security console came on.  The remote control no longer armed the system nor did the "arm" button on the console.  I replaced the 9V battery, re-installed the remote control, sensors, dial out alert numbers, etc.

After another 5 - 6 hours, the same thing happened.

I again replaced the battery and reinstalled the various components.

Again the LED light came on and the process was repeated.

I have used brand new 9V batteries, re-charged 9V batteries, and both were sufficiently charged to operate a portable radio.  All were alkaline batteries.
I contacted customer support, ordered a replacement security console (which arrived yesterday --- August 20 --- and returned the original console this morning. 

I experience with the replacement console has exhibited the identical problems as with the original console.

As I have installed --- and re-installed --- the system, I have meticulously followed the instructions in the Owner's Manual.   I've even installed the 9V backup battery before AND after plugging the console into AC power, but the problems persist.

What am I doing wrong?
Theo. R. Leverenz, Ph.D.
E.P.P.A. Consulting

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Re: X10 security system installation problems.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »

well the first question that most will ask is : Which red led is on.  What is sounds like to me is one of the door sensors are to far away from the console or the signal is being obstructed.  Every 4 hours or so the door sensors send a signal to the dialer unit to update the status of the sensor.  If the status of the sensor changes it will light the led.  example. ( if a door is open the light will come on and if you close the door it goes off. ) Sometimes something might mess with the signal reaching the console, so you could have an open door and no light on, in 4 hours though it will then notice the problem and turn the light on to let you know that the door is really open.  If a door or window is open you cannot arm the alarm. The unit considers this an unsecure situation and wants everything shut before arming.

The other thing that happens is the console wants to make sure all sensors that are programmed in the unit are still active and working.  So for this to happen they communicate, i believe they call this a heartbeat.  so after about 4-5 hours it is trying to communicate with all sensors to make sure they are functioning, so whatever light is coming on is the problem sensor.  Range is usually the first issue, since you just installed, I would hope the batteries are good.  try and reposition the consoles antenna, or just reinstall everything again but just do the remotes and 1 door sensor( the closest one would be best. ) then wait about 6 hours and see that all the lights stay off.  If so then do the other sensors and see if moving the antenna fixes the problem. 

hope this helps some.

eppaconsulting

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 05:53:03 PM »

The red light that comes on is the indicator that suggests the backup battery's charge is low and it needs to be replaced --- despite the fact that it's been just 4-5 hours since I put in a new battery.  When the red battery light comes on, the programming is all erased --- the sensors aren't recognized, the remote isn't recognized.   When the system is first installed, EVERYTHING works fine, so the distances aren't a problem.  I'm having trouble keeping the console itself operational.  As I initially indicated, I had one console, experienced the problem, got ANOTHER console, and am experiencing the same problem.   So. . . .  Am installing something incorrectly?  It works GREAT at first, but after 4-5 hours . . . . .
Theo. R. Leverenz, Ph.D.
E.P.P.A. Consulting

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »

You didn't do anything wrong from what I have read.
You may have two bad units in a row.
Where they New or Certified Like New sales?
Other users with the console may have added data for you. As we are a user to user forum and X10 hardly ever answers anything here.

eppaconsulting

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:50:48 PM »

Both the original unit and the replacement were direction from x10.  TWO bad units in a row?  Perhaps, but (IMHO) unlikely, I think. . . . .
Theo. R. Leverenz, Ph.D.
E.P.P.A. Consulting

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »

TWO bad units in a row?  Perhaps, but (IMHO) unlikely, I think. . . . .

Haven't been around x10 long, have you?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:51:50 PM »

As I have installed --- and re-installed --- the system, I have meticulously followed the instructions in the Owner's Manual.   I've even installed the 9V backup battery before AND after plugging the console into AC power, but the problems persist.

When you plugged in the unit without the battery installed, did the green LED come on?

Also if X10 replaces this unit take note of the date code.

I agree with Knightrider's last comment. X10 has made runs of product with bad or incorrect parts, incorrect assembly, etc....it happens. If the lot gets shipped from China without the problem being caught there, I believe that we, the customer, gets the honor of being the final quality inspector. So ask X10 to send a replacement from a different date code.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »

Yes we have seen runs of problem modules.

Someone here had two security consoles in a row. Not dial out correctly.

I also know there was a run of lamp modules that went to half bright when turned on.

I would not say you had two bad in a row but it could be possible.

eppaconsulting

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 01:19:44 PM »

As suggested, I tried installing the console WITHOUT the back-up battery.  Nope. Didn't work.  So I'm guessing (hoping?) that I've just gotten two bad units in a row (instead of something I've done wrong or in the wrong order or . . . .)
Theo. R. Leverenz, Ph.D.
E.P.P.A. Consulting

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »

If you tried it with no battery and it didn't work. It could be an AC power supply problem in the console.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »

If you tried it with no battery and it didn't work. It could be an AC power supply problem in the console.
That's what I was thinking also when I asked "eppaconsulting" if the green LED came on without the battery installed.

I assume "Nope it didn't work" from eppaconsulting means the green LED did not light, which would indicate a PS problem.

For some reason I get this mental picture of a little Chinese woman sitting in her home assembling consoles as fast as she can.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

eppaconsulting

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 08:13:27 PM »

Well, the control module is packed up (with phone cord, etc.) and ready to mail back to X10 tomorrow.  But I'll need to call them tomorrow for "approval" rather than this evening.  (Although one might think that a company that sells SECURITY equipment would be available for calls MORE than just "8-5 / M-F" . . . . )
Theo. R. Leverenz, Ph.D.
E.P.P.A. Consulting

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »

Well, the control module is packed up (with phone cord, etc.) and ready to mail back to X10 tomorrow.  But I'll need to call them tomorrow for "approval" rather than this evening.  (Although one might think that a company that sells SECURITY equipment would be available for calls MORE than just "8-5 / M-F" . . . . )

Rest assured that they are there 24/7, with very little wait time to TAKE your money...  Don't hold your breath waiting for a refund, either...   B:(

And I still love X10!    ;)
>!

eppaconsulting

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »

I'm sure SOMEBODY is there, but when I've tried to call on weekends (the number on my receipt that follows a phrase like, "if you have questions, call . . ."), I get a recording that says "our hours are 8:00am to 10:pm EST Monday through Friday".

Ah well....  I DID finally get ahold of "Janelle" at X10 . . . .
Theo. R. Leverenz, Ph.D.
E.P.P.A. Consulting

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.