Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: URGENT ..need help to connect with remote!  (Read 35347 times)

calldrin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
URGENT ..need help to connect with remote!
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »

Boy do I need help .. pulling out what little hair that I have left ;-)

Details:
XP Pro on both computers. IE 8, AHP with all plugins.

Have followed all of the online help articles from X10 and any other source that had info.

Took the router to my ISP and they checked for all the proper ports being open.
80, 443, 8080, 8888 and port forwarding set. These are the ones that X10/AHP need.

Problem:
When I try to log in using the "Remote" MyHouse Status program says "connecting,  authenticated, waiting for system "ACE******" and never goes  past the step on both the computers.

X10 support is sending this to level2 techs.  So far no help yet!

Does ANYONE have this program running and if so what did you do to get it going?

Please let me know what I can do ..... don't tell me to use Logmein ... I have it already installed but I really want to use "MyHouse".

Thanks,  Chuck

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: URGENT ..need help to connect with remote!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »

any chance you have windows firewall on or something else that's preventing a connection?

calldrin

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »

All firewalls and virus programs are disabled...

After talking to Dlink, it may be that the port numbers are not correct.

I need to verify that 80,443,8080,8888 are correct!  Can anyone verify this?

These don't work for me ...and Dlink

Chuck

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »

calldrin

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:45:24 PM »

Not sure if you found the knowledge base information on MyHouse

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/MyHouse_Online_Port_and_Protocol_Information
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/MyHouse_Online

Thanks but I have read this info ... seems that my router is not passing info on port 80 and 443.
Have been on tech support with D-link for hours!
Still no go ;-(

Chuck

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »

Chuck,

Are you able to access anything at all on the Web using a browser from the PC in question?  Example:  can you see the IBM webpage by typing http://www.ibm.com into your browser?  If you can, then the router is allowing traffic on port 80! 

I have a couple different Dlink routers, so if you'll let us know which model you have, maybe I can help.

ITguy 

calldrin

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 05:23:06 PM »

Chuck,

Are you able to access anything at all on the Web using a browser from the PC in question?  Example:  can you see the IBM webpage by typing http://www.ibm.com into your browser?  If you can, then the router is allowing traffic on port 80! 

I have a couple different Dlink routers, so if you'll let us know which model you have, maybe I can help.

ITguy 

Thanks for the reply.

Status as of today: 

Got the router to open port 80 and 443.
I had to set port forwarding to go to a static IP address that I set in the computer (tcp/ip).
Now the Network Gateway Analysis show that all is good.
AHP runs fine but .. My House won't connect to the remote.
Status shows that it is logged in and is waiting for the remote.
The remote computer shows the same condition... waiting :-(

I have been waiting for several days for X10 support to call me ... but as expected THEY won't respond!!!
Using Comcast internet, XP Pro, IE 8 and a D-link WBR-2310 router.
It seems that their servers are not getting the information from my computers..

Even another ISP owner/operator can't login either ...

Does this shed any light on the subject?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chuck

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:56:27 PM »

Chuck,

Glad you're making at least a little progress.  My House has a really lousy reputation for reliability, so it's hard to say at this point whether the problem is yours or theirs.  I'm betting that since the Network Gateway Analysis says all is well, that it's something on their end.  But good luck on getting them to admit it or help you with it!  B:(

I wish I could give you some more ideas, but I'm now at the end of my "My House" knowledge.  You might want to do a forum search for alternatives to My House.  I think some folks have had good luck with using VNC or logmein to achieve the results without having to depend on the X10 servers or software.

Good luck!

ITguy

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:23:01 PM »

You state you're running XP Pro.
I use Remote Desktop Connection built in to XP Pro and higher versions of Vista and Windows 7 to connect to my AHP software and control modules.
I've never bothered using my house since shortly after the first time I tried it. It's always been buggy for me.

Just something else that may help.
Have you tried using a free dynamic DNS service? You say you have a WBR-2310 and under the tools menu in the router there is an option to setup DDNS. This would make it easier to connect from other locations if your WAN IP is not static. It will resolve your IP to a domain name instead of always having to remember your current IP address.
Also, try using the virtual server function instead of port forwarding. Set it up like you would with the port numbers and the internal LAN IP of the system you want to connect through those ports.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:31:40 PM by J.B. »

calldrin

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »

Chuck,

Glad you're making at least a little progress.  My House has a really lousy reputation for reliability, so it's hard to say at this point whether the problem is yours or theirs.  I'm betting that since the Network Gateway Analysis says all is well, that it's something on their end.  But good luck on getting them to admit it or help you with it!  B:(

I wish I could give you some more ideas, but I'm now at the end of my "My House" knowledge.  You might want to do a forum search for alternatives to My House.  I think some folks have had good luck with using VNC or logmein to achieve the results without having to depend on the X10 servers or software.

Good luck!

ITguy

Thanks for the help.
I have a tele call scheduled for tomorrow at 5pm to chat with level2 tech. support.
Will see what happens then.
I have Logmein but I like the features of MyHome.... if it works  ;-)
When I get a answer, I will post the results so maybe it can help someone else.

Chuck

Fixed quote.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:05:57 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

kilo

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 02:35:01 AM »

Its probably port blocking by your ISP (comcast)
My ISP blocks port 80 and I think 443 for non business accounts.
That keeps regular folk like us from running any kind of web servers which keeps our machines and routers from being able to use those ports for anything useful.

Later

calldrin

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 11:33:37 AM »

Its probably port blocking by your ISP (comcast)
My ISP blocks port 80 and I think 443 for non business accounts.
That keeps regular folk like us from running any kind of web servers which keeps our machines and routers from being able to use those ports for anything useful.

Later

I have Comcast as my ISP and they said the ports are not blocked.

It appears that the routers are at fault.... I have tried 3 different brands and none of them will work.(all using port forwarding)

When talking to X10 level 2 support We we able to get it to work when I took the router out of the circuit and went direct from Comcast's modem .. no router..

I can't run my system without a router as I have 3 ether net cables going to different computers.

I have all but given up on ever getting this software to work ;-(

Don't know what to doĦ

Chuck

Rocket J Squirrel

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 12:32:53 PM »

It appears that the routers are at fault.... I have tried 3 different brands and none of them will work.(all using port forwarding)

When talking to X10 level 2 support We we able to get it to work when I took the router out of the circuit and went direct from Comcast's modem .. no router..

All routers support port forwarding. The fact that you've tried 3 types with no success is, um, strange. My suggestions:

• Update your router's firmware to the latest from the manufacturer's site.
  • If you've been getting your routers from Comcast, stop doing that. Go buy yourself a router off the shelf.
  • Hire someone local to come to your house and help you.

cj4

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »

Calldrin,

Hope you're still there because i'm having the same problem.  There are too many people having this problem.  It's got to be something simple.  I've had these cams for 3 yrs and couldn't get them running, gave up and back to trying to figure it out.  Hope if someone finds the solution they will post it and better yet, I wish X-10 would service there customers!!!!!!!

calldrin

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »

Calldrin,

Hope you're still there because i'm having the same problem.  There are too many people having this problem.  It's got to be something simple.  I've had these cams for 3 yrs and couldn't get them running, gave up and back to trying to figure it out.  Hope if someone finds the solution they will post it and better yet, I wish X-10 would service there customers!!!!!!!

Yes, still having problems... spent a long time on the Phone with Andrew in level 2 support. He got it working with my 2nd PC as a remote and thought it was fixed ... WRONG .. can't connect with any other PC. Tried 3 other computers at different locations.

There seems to be MAJOR problems with almost all X10 software . $%&(@#^^&*()+. 

TOO much spent time on the advertising HIPE and not enough fixing the products they sell.

Sure wish I could get my $$$ back and find a system that works.

Chuck .. very unhappy camper!!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.