Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10-PRO switches do not respond to AHP  (Read 4424 times)

davidathome

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10-PRO switches do not respond to AHP
« on: August 28, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »

I thought I was upgrading my x-10 installation (5 wall switch modules running outsides lights) by replacing after 10 yrs of operation the retail wall dimmer switches with Active Home PRO appliance wall switches (didn't need the dimming).  I have a passive phase coupler installed on my clothes drier. None of these new switches are responding to AHP on/off commands. I have a Radioshack manual control in the system and it still controls the switches without problem.  The bother here is all I did was replace the switches and AHP no longer controls them!  I have a few lamp controls and they work great with AHP and always have. Now I am running the latest AHP on a Win 7 platform but the program seems to run OK and have upgraded the driver etc. Remember AHP still controls the lam modules!

Give it a shot folks!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: X10-PRO switches do not respond to AHP
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »

All the X10Pro modules are in AHP.  Are you now running AHP 3.271?   If you are you may want to downgrade back to 3.228 if you don't have the CM19A USB unit.   Here's how you do the downgrade: Go to http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/ and look for /ahp_updt_204.exe   Save that and apply it over what you have now.  When the install is done, open AHP and use the flashing "Update Available" on the right side of the AHP window to update AHP to version 3.228.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

davidathome

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »

I am running AHP 3.228 with CM15A and latest drivers on Windows 7 platform. The switches are XPS3 and that's how I have them set up in AHP. I know the receivers are working correctly because my Radioshack PlugnPlay controller operates them remotely.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »

Will the Radio Shack Controller, control the switches, when connected to the same outlet where the CM15A is?
Maybe you have a marginal power line signal from the CM15As location and the XPS3 maybe just slightly less sensitive.

Is there anything changed electrically in the home besides the switches? Even something like a new cell phone charger or you moved something around the time you exchanged the switches?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »

Since your old wall switches worked and the new non dimming switches (in the same boxes I assume)  do not, just for giggles, in AHP try re-installing one of the non-working XPS3 as an Appliance Module, AM486.

PS You DO have a neutral connected to each of the new switches, right?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:00:14 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 10:08:21 AM »

I am running AHP 3.228 with CM15A and latest drivers on Windows 7 platform. The switches are XPS3 and that's how I have them set up in AHP. I know the receivers are working correctly because my Radioshack PlugnPlay controller operates them remotely.
I would suspect a signal propagation or noise issue first, before suspecting a software issue. Did anything else change in your setup at the time you changed the switches (new bulbs, new fixtures, etc)?
If you turn the switches on (either manually or using the RadioShack controller), can you turn any of them off using the software?
Are the new switches on the same Housecode/UnitCode combination as each of the switches they replaced?
Is the rest of your setup (other than the new switches) working properly from the software?
Does the problem only happen during certain times of day?
Can you try swapping one of the old switches back in, and seeing if that works correctly?
I would try Brian H's suggestion of making sure you are using the RadioShack controller in the same outlet as the CM15A. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the RadioShack controller puts out a stronger signal on the line than the CM15A, so you might not get a true answer from that test (unless it DOESN'T work from the same outlet).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »

I saw a test of the CM15A and the tests showed the CM15A had a higher power line signal than most of the other X10 controllers.
Though as we know. X10 likes to change things and the later unit could be different.  ???
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:14:41 AM by Brian H »

davidathome

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »

Thanks for the hints folks. One thing I need to try is unplugg all the various i-phone, i-pad and blue tooth chargers in the house.

UPDATE: I moved the Radio Shack controller to the outlet where the CM is connected and it did not work on the switches either, but it still controlled the lamp module in the same room. It also did not work in any other outlet I tried in that room. Previously I had moved the CM to the outlet where the Radio Shack was located (and worked) but timers downloaded to the CM did not work from that location either. I  moved around the house to find a different outlet where the Radioshack unit worked, then I plugged in the CM in its place. Tonight's the test to see if the timers work.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 08:58:58 PM »

You may need a phase coupler.  Most houses eclectic power is delivered as 220 volts and house wiring is 110 so half the house is on one phase and the other half is on the other phase.   X10 signals cannot cross the phases without a phase coupler of some kind. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.