Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blinking and Chiming Won't Stop  (Read 9773 times)

carlbarry

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Blinking and Chiming Won't Stop
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:21:21 AM »

Hi.  I have my console for several years now.  Suddenly, the console LED for one of my window sensors started blinking slowly, and about every half hour the console chimes 5 times.  I've replaced the batteries in the sensor, but that didn't solve it.  Oddly, the console still arms, and it chimes when I open that window (when I have it set for chiming).  In the past when this happened, I reset the console and ALL my sensors, which is a pain the neck.  I hope you experts have a better solution.  Thanks.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Blinking and Chiming Won't Stop
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:32:48 PM »

.... I hope you experts have a better solution.

I'd replace that sensor.... then reset and reload. Sorry.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

carlbarry

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »

I'd agree, excpt I've had this same problem with other sensors.  I then shut all of them down, re-set the console, and re-register each sensor.  Everything can be fine for months, and then this problem re-appears.  So I don't think it's the sensor; I suspect it's a problem with the firmware of the console.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »

Recently while replacing some windows with newer ones I discovered the same issue with one of my windows. Simply opening and closing the window fixed the issue (for a short time)I later realized that the sensor placement was the issue as both sides weren't lining up 100% and the spacing wasn't  as close as it should be.
I install some plastic spacers to get the sensors closer to each other. So far the issue hasn't reapeared! ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

carlbarry

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »

I just took the batteries out of all my sensors, unplugged the console, took out the battery.  Then I just re-connected the console, and re-entered everything.  That solved the problem, as it has in the past when I had this issue.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »

I just took the batteries out of all my sensors, unplugged the console, took out the battery.  Then I just re-connected the console, and re-entered everything. 

Isn't there a process that actually clears the console memory [that would be helpful]?

carlbarry

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:28:20 PM »

Yep.  The process is: 1. disconnect the battery, 2. unplug the console, 3. wait thirty seconds.  That clears it.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 09:56:52 PM »

Yep.  The process is: 1. disconnect the battery, 2. unplug the console, 3. wait thirty seconds.  That clears it.

Your right... (I had to re-read the manual to be sure). Trying to figure why your problem would occur.

carlbarry

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »

It happens about twice a year, a different module each time, I believe.  The only way I can resolve it is by re-setting the console and re-entering all the sensors.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »

It happens about twice a year, a different module each time, I believe.  The only way I can resolve it is by re-setting the console and re-entering all the sensors.

Yeah... Ive read and even re-read the posts. It could be... that at a certain time (or times) of the year something is put in a place that disrupts the RF signal. Like... a window AC might disrupt the RF from a door/window sensor (DS10A) during summer months. Or maybe the console is moved during warmer weather.... which causes a large metal object (or even duct-work?) to be between your console and a sensor.

I have a nice little tower fan I set in my living room in summer months (I can turn the temperature up on the AC and save a few bucks by adding a small fan in hot weather). I haven't had any RF problems... but the fan will trigger the motion sensor if left on. And the remote electronics in the fan messes with the X10 PLC... so I have to filter it or a light in a different room doesn't work.

It took me a while to figure out what was going wrong.

Your problem.... could even be something as simple as who is dusting and/or cleaning around the equipment. Pushing the consoles antenna down or letting or causing the antenna to touch metal objects... can cause sensors near the edge of reception to drop off. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:59:02 PM by Dave_x10_L »

carlbarry

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 07:43:51 AM »

Huh. Very interesting.  I'll keep this in mind next time it happens.  Thanks.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »

Huh. Very interesting.  I'll keep this in mind next time it happens.  Thanks.

I had a somewhat similar problem with a unit I installed for a friend turned out to be the console. If you going to use this as your main system BUY TWO you're going to need backup equipment and if something fails you don't have to wait a week to get replacements. My buddy bought another console a while back so all he had to do was swap the defective one out thankfully he had the extended warranty as I suggested  x10 is having the defective unit Fedex back to them so even though it failed he's still happy. I'm also currently having another problem with an install I did for a friend going to ask you guys to put  on your thinking caps, will post the problem shortly. I'm thinking it's the console again ever notice the absence of QC stickers on the x10 stuff.  ;)  :D

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.