Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 Transceivers on same house code?  (Read 3162 times)

rdolmat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2 Transceivers on same house code?
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:34:18 AM »

Hi folks!

Complete X10 newbie here...in fact, my system hasn't even arrived yet!!

But...just a quick question here: would there be any advantage to have 2 transceivers assigned to the same house code, but plugged into different rooms to help extend my remote 5-in-1 range? If you know what I mean?  ???

thanks!!!!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: 2 Transceivers on same house code?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:58:08 AM »

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  That worked very well at our last house with a transceiver at each end.  Since the center of the house was entry, stairwells and bathroom, we never used a remote there.  So we didn't have the issue with both transceivers picking up the wireless commands.  (One transceiver was a beta CM14A controller, and the other was a RR501).

If two identical transceivers pick up the command simultaneously so they relay those commands to the powerline in perfect synchronization, then they will work well together.  Since RF commands are repeated several times, it is possible that one unit will pick up a command before another.  If that point straddles a zero crossing of 60Hz, one transceiver can begin transmission a half cycle before the other.  In that case, the two transmissions will collide with each other and the command will be corrupted.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

rdolmat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: 2 Transceivers on same house code?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  That worked very well at our last house with a transceiver at each end.  Since the center of the house was entry, stairwells and bathroom, we never used a remote there.  So we didn't have the issue with both transceivers picking up the wireless commands.  (One transceiver was a beta CM14A controller, and the other was a RR501).

If two identical transceivers pick up the command simultaneously so they relay those commands to the powerline in perfect synchronization, then they will work well together.  Since RF commands are repeated several times, it is possible that one unit will pick up a command before another.  If that point straddles a zero crossing of 60Hz, one transceiver can begin transmission a half cycle before the other.  In that case, the two transmissions will collide with each other and the command will be corrupted.

Jeff

Jeff!! Why are you so smart?!  ;)

Thanks for the perfect explanation...I'll prolly end up getting one of your X10 booster things anyway!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.