Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2 Socket Rockets / 1 Switch  (Read 16095 times)

Squirrel1162

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
2 Socket Rockets / 1 Switch
« on: September 10, 2010, 10:49:16 PM »

I have 2 outside lights (garage & Porch) that are wired to one switch.  I know I can use a wall switch to control them.  However, I want to have them come on/off independently.  I currently use a socket rocket to operate another light.  However, I can't seem to get it to work on any other combination other than A1.  Is it possible to program the 2 socket rockets using let's say B1 & B2 to get the desired effect I am looking for?  If so, how?  I have tried unplugging the other socket rocket, plugging back in, and running it using like B1 to no avail.  All suggestions will be appreciated.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: 2 Socket Rockets / 1 Switch
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:52 PM »

What kind of transmitter do you have? A maxi controller? AHP?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 06:12:39 AM »

To reprogram a Socket Rocket it has to be sent the wanted address three times in thirty seconds. From when power is applied.
So you can put on in a table lamp near the controller for easier programming.
Turn the local lamp on and sent the desired code three times. Within thirty seconds.

So for B1.
Turn on the lamp. Send B1 on three times. It should then use the B1 address for its control. It can then be moved to where you want it used.
If it does not work in that location. You would have to do some X10 signal troubleshooting.

What are you using to control the modules now?

Squirrel1162

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »

I gave up on trying to program each Socket Rocket to work independently on one switch.  I read, re-read, and re-re-read instructions given me on how to program them.  I followed them to the letter, to no avail.  When I can, I guess that I will have to invest in a wall switch instead of using 2 Socket Rockets.  The down side is, I won't have the control I want.  Thanks to all who tried to help me.  I really did appreciate it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »

I gave up on trying to program each Socket Rocket to work independently on one switch.  I read, re-read, and re-re-read instructions given me on how to program them.  I followed them to the letter, to no avail.  When I can, I guess that I will have to invest in a wall switch instead of using 2 Socket Rockets.  The down side is, I won't have the control I want.  Thanks to all who tried to help me.  I really did appreciate it.
1. What are you using to program the socket rocket?
2. What ever it is, the controller and the socket rocket must be on the same circuit.

Screw a socket rocket, with a 60 watt bulb,  into a "socket to plug" adaptor and plug that adaptor into a wall receptacle or extension cord. Plug the  controller that you intend to program the socket rocket with into the same receptacle or the extension cord. (I use a Maxi Controller or a Mini Controller). Within 20 seconds of plugging in the Socket Rocket, send it three ON commnads for the house code - unit code you want to program the Socket Rocket with. The Socket Rocket will turn ON on your third command. If you use this setup and the Socket Rocket does not light the bulb on the third command, it is probably bad.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »

Squirrel,

Please don't give up so quickly.  We can walk you through this.

First, answer what transmitter you have, from there we'll walk you through the procedure.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Squirrel1162

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »

I am using AHP with a CM15A unit.  I plugged both the CM15A and the Socket Rocket into the same outlet.  Then, using the code I wanted for the rocket, sent 3 on/off commands within 30 seconds of plugging it in.  Alas!, no luck.  Am I missing something?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »

yep
you need 3 on commands. try setting up a chime module on the desired HC/UC and chime it (click on it) 3 times.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »

I am using AHP with a CM15A unit.  I plugged both the CM15A and the Socket Rocket into the same outlet.  Then, using the code I wanted for the rocket, sent 3 on/off commands within 30 seconds of plugging it in.  Alas!, no luck.  Am I missing something?

I use a lamp with the Socket Rocket screwed into it, send the code (like D 7), I use a MC460 controller set to Housecode D to send it, if the lamp lights, the Socket Rocket is set.   You then can move it ANYWHERE in the house to use it.  I've set up 15 Socket Rockets that way.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 07:53:34 AM »

sent 3 on/off commands within 30 seconds of plugging it in.  Alas!, no luck.  Am I missing something?

I don't think it works if you send on/off commands. It needs to be 3 consecutive on commands.

Like Mr Knight says, set up a chime module in AHP to the code you want the socket rocket to be, get everything ready to go in your temporary lamp plugged into the same outlet as the CM15A and hit the chime icon 3 times in the 20 second period. The chime module in AHP only has an on command which is why this works.

After you've completed the programming you can move the socket rocket to its final resting place and delete replace the chime module in AHP with your socket rocket module.

Repeat as often as desired :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:09:13 AM »

Correct. Three On commands with no Off in between.

Squirrel1162

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 01:58:14 PM »

This is what I have done.  I plugged the CM15A into the same outlet that I am trying to program the socket rocket on.  Then, I set an appliance module to the code I want the rocket to use, and plugged it in. Within 20 seconds of doing all the above, I sent the 3 on commands from the chime unit in the AHP program.  Still, no luck.  I know the rockets themselves are good.  I installed then in lamps and both came on using the A1 socket rocket command.  I also tried plugging the lamp directly into the wall outlet as the CM15A is plugged into.  Then sent the 3 chime on commands.  Once again, no luck.  I don't want to give up, but I am becoming very frustrated.  Once again, my most sincere thanks for all who are trying to help me.  You have no idea how much it means to me.

Squirrel

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 02:49:08 PM »

OK Lets rehash this.
You can control them on the Default A1 and they are not stuck On.
You created a Chime Module in AHP on the address you wanted to use.
You plugged a light with the socket rocket and bulb into the same outlet as the CM15A.
Within thirty seconds of turning the light On. You chimed the module three times.
The socket rocket still is on A1.
If above was done and it still is stuck on A1.
You may have a defective socket rocket.
Though the most common problems are.
Will not go On.
Will not go Off.
We have seen stuck at about 50% Even though it is not a dimmable type module.

Not sure why you had a appliance module on the wanted address, but did it go On when you rang the chime?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:51:54 PM by Brian H »

Squirrel1162

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 04:07:55 PM »

I didn't mean to say appliance modue.  I meant lamp module.  Is that still wrong?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.