Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't get macro to work right!  (Read 6781 times)

calldrin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can't get macro to work right!
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »

From a newbie   dumb question.

What I want to do:

use MS14A "D1" to trigger several actions.
turn on video monitor "C5" for 5 min.
turn on front door light  "M10" on for 5 min.. ONLY from dusk to dawn.
turn on chime SC546A for 10 sec.

What I have done:

Macro: Front door light

trigger conditions D1 ON and the time is between dusk and dawn
end trigger conditions
turn M10 On
wait 5 min
turn M10 OFF

Problem:  This works all the time  day or night when triggered.

--------

Macro: video monitor "C5"

wait 1 sec
turn video monitor ON
wait 5 min
turn video monitor OFF

Problem:  None.. this works
-----------

Chime: have not figured this out at all.
--------

I'm very kunfused about this .. I have read every post I can find and tried several different ways to get this to work... but .. no success :(

Please help me :)

Chuck

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Can't get macro to work right!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »

It has been my experience that any macro that can actually be made into two [or more] macros... will work better.

If your MS14A motion sensor was to trigger D1.... and all that D1 was to do would be trigger two more macros... (say D2 and M3). No devices... just trigger macros.

D2... could run with its delays and turn on/off the device required that has NO condition.

M3 (I assume M is the Monitored code) that would function as the condition. Of course... that condition would require ANOTHER macro that would set and remove the required conditional "fake" module for the desired times.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

calldrin

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »

It has been my experience that any macro that can actually be made into two [or more] macros... will work better.

If your MS14A motion sensor was to trigger D1.... and all that D1 was to do would be trigger two more macros... (say D2 and M3). No devices... just trigger macros.

D2... could run with its delays and turn on/off the device required that has NO condition.

M3 (I assume M is the Monitored code) that would function as the condition. Of course... that condition would require ANOTHER macro that would set and remove the required conditional "fake" module for the desired times.

Dave,
Thanks for your reply.

I have spent many hours trying to understand and make this work.

Now I'm at the point of giving up on this project :(

So I ask you, PLEASE, can you make a macro that will do the "Front door light" for me that I can copy and put it in my system?

If I had any possibility that I could do it myself, I would not ask for this favor!

Also what is the monitored code and what it is it used for?  my code is set at "A" at this time

Thanks,
Chuck

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:59:22 PM »

I have spent many hours trying to understand and make this work. Now I'm at the point of giving up on this project :(

I feel your pain! Learning isn't always a linear process. Sometimes taking a break from a project can allow you to restart fresh later.

.... can you make a macro that will do the "Front door light" for me that I can copy and put it in my system?

I don't know... if I start writting macros for the 19,127 Members here at the forum... that could cut into my fun-time.

If I had any possibility that I could do it myself, I would not ask for this favor!

Of course you can do this! I KNOW YOU CAN.

Often you really bright guys have trouble with macros.... simply because macros are easy to over-think. Keep the commands simple. Don't try to do too much with a macro. One macro... one task is a good rule. Read through the user created macros... and that little booklet that came with the CM15A. You (said for all readers of this post) will learn to understand this.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

calldrin

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »

I feel your pain! Learning isn't always a linear process. Sometimes taking a break from a project can allow you to restart fresh later.

----------------------------

Thanks for your help.. I guess I will just live with I have for now. UNTIL I can find a step by step instruction manual ... Macros for Dummies .. If there such a thing ;-)

Chuck

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:04:44 PM by calldrin »

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »

hi. a couple basics:  day and nite statements do not work in macros on at least latest version.  period.  u will not make them work. 

my work around is to make a lite switch, say M1, and set timer to turn it on at say 7am and off at 7pm.  then make a macro to trigger when it sees this turn on and sET flag 1 (turns it on).  Make an else or just another macro that triggers on M1 OFF, have it CLEAR flag 1.  Now where you want on aduring day, use IF flag 1 is ON;  where you want off at nite, use IF flag 1 OFF (cleared).  THIS WORKS. 

Next, your chime has a house code & number too, say C1;  it chimes when you send that code ON; ie., send C1 on and it chimes.  sending C1 o0ff does nothing.  it chimes 1 time per C! ON sent.  Period.  So0 you dont say 'turn it on for 10 sec.  u send C1 On, it chimes, if you want more longer chimes send C1 ON, delay 2 seconds, C1 ON, delay 2 sec, C1 ON, delay 2 sec etc etc etc...

Hope this gets you started  :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.