Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: New ActivePhone application (formerly PhoneMote)  (Read 144604 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: New ActivePhone application (formerly PhoneMote)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »

Since I have good RF coverage (finally), and a ton of PalmPad remotes scattered around my house (turns out the ScanPad remotes are exactly the same, just a different color), does this plugin really buy me anything?
Only if you are a phone phreak.   :D

Other than having the interface look like a PalmPad (which I probably could figure out at some point), I was able to do the same thing using the server portion of X10 Commander, which is free.
I wasn't able to get any of the "X10der" web pages to work on the Blackberry, but I built my own using VERY simple HTML (it is just a bunch of links, each URL sends a complete X10 command).
It also has the advantage for me that AHP doesn't need to be running for it to work.

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 03:39:13 PM »

Exactly. The advantage here is that it's a one button push and purchase for those who don't feel like setting up a webserver or have no technical knowledge.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

Day Dreamer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »

Now that I've had a little more time with the ActivePhone a few more advantages, for me anyway:

1  Since I generally carry my phone with me (although I don't think I'm a "phreak") I don't have to look for an X10 remote.
2  I can access any house code easily with out the dime or screwdriver needed with the PalmPad.
3  When I change house code or number the labels change too.  PalmPad can't do that of course so for me is really only useful for one code.

I am semi-tech savvy but, about the security concern with my Wi-Fi network, wouldn't someone need to know my network name and password to get in?

Thanks, Dale

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 06:57:46 PM »

I am semi-tech savvy but, about the security concern with my Wi-Fi network, wouldn't someone need to know my network name and password to get in?

Also want to thank Anthony for a fantastic writeup.

DD - from what I can infer - you access the app via a URL.  That URL is an IP address/Port Combo.
When I'm on WiFi, my internal boxes are 192.168.x.x. 
One of those boxes is running my webserver and it's also 209.177.x.x.

I'd guess that if you never want to access your AHP remotely -- only use it when you're at home and connected via WiFi to your own network, then sure, set up the embedded webserver to be your internal address.

When instructions usually talk about opening up ports in your firewall, you're then exposing an internal host to the public internet.  Hence the security concerns.

In my house there are precious few ports open to the internet.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »

anthonylavado,

I'm embarrassed to say that after our discussion last night and your very informative post, I didn't even think about clicking you a "Helpful", until now!   :-[

#:)
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »

count me in on the +1 wagon.  I tagged it this morning.

Very good job!
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

cybersherrif

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »

I purchased this new app Monday. Thus far I have spent 12 person years trying to get it up and running. I had a  previous version of Active Home Pro and downloaded the update sent in an email after purchase. The Active Phone download apparently installs a new fresh copy of Active Home Pro. This caused my old version to become unregistered. I couldn't register it using the old registration code and they didn't send a new one in their email. I had numerous chat sessions with no success. Today I was snootily told by a phone rep that the reason my app didn't work is because I was using an old version of Active Home Pro. The version I had was released 9/20/10 V3.278. I guess I should have known that they plan to have a new release every two days. The new release is dated 9/22/10 and is release v3.279. Comparing the two versions the only thing that appears to have changed is that they disabled the "invite a cell phone" tab in the pull-down menu under "tools" in the new release. It was active in Monday's release. This still left me without the ability to register my "old" or "new" version of Active Home Pro. After several more phone calls I was able to reach Mike who eventually was able to issue me a new registration code after having it placed on their servers. So now I am finally registered. Now I can invite my cellphone, I get an email on my iPhone 4, but when I click on the link to install/link with the handheld remote, I get a small box with a question mark in it using my Safari iPhone browser. In attempting to debug the error I find two 1.) an HTML error on line 448 and 2.) a JavaScript error on line 120. So there you have it. So much for the quick five minute installation and it still doesn't work.

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »

Now I can invite my cellphone, I get an email on my iPhone 4, but when I click on the link to install/link with the handheld remote, I get a small box with a question mark in it using my Safari iPhone browser. In attempting to debug the error I find two 1.) an HTML error on line 448 and 2.) a JavaScript error on line 120. So there you have it. So much for the quick five minute installation and it still doesn't work.
Don't worry cybersherrif, we can help you work this out.
A few important questions:
  • Do you have any Antivirus/Anti Spyware/Firewall/Internet Security software on your AHP PC?
  • Knowing that you have a wireless router, what make and model is it? You can usually find this on the bottom or back of the router.
A step at a time and we'll get you the rest of the way.
Right now, AHP w/Active Phone is telling me 3.278 is the current version, but I'm downloading 3.279 now to try it out and see if there is indeed an error that I can replicate.
I keep archived copies of AHP with and without Active Phone, so we can rollback if this is the case.

cybersherrif

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »

Yes, I have McAfee anti-virus software and use the firewall integrated into their security suite. I use a 2-Wire wireless router that is connected via Ethernet to my desktop. The model appears to be 27701HG-B.

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 04:23:38 PM »

I've just installed 3.279 as updated on the X10 Software Page, no issues for me, my iPhone 4, or other computers to use Active Phone.

Yes, I have McAfee anti-virus software and use the firewall integrated into their security suite.
Okay. This is where to start.

Solution: How to configure McAfee Personal Firewall to allow inbound connections on specific ports
Summary: This article will help you configure your McAfee software to allow remote connections to your system.
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100887

That procedure should allow you to open up Port 8777, which is the default for Active Phone.
Let us know how it works!

cybersherrif

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »

OK. My McAfee security suite is a little different than what is included in these instructions. However, I checked and my X10nets.exe has full internet access. I invited my phone again received email, clicked on it but still don't receive the handheld view. Still the same two error messages.

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 06:06:39 PM »

Still the same two error messages.
I checked mine with my Mobile Safari debug console on, I see that HTML error, looks like bad design on the programmer's part. No JavaScript error. There must be a problem with the PalmPad.HTML page.

I'd like for you to uninstall AHP and reinstall with this link: ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/applications/activehomepro/sw44a_activephone.exe
It's the exact same version I used a few hours ago, confirmed working on my iPhone 4.

Before you reinstall, make sure you go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\X10\ and delete both the WebApps and Art folders.
It also wouldn't hurt for you to clear Mobile Safari's Cache. This is found in Settings > Safari.

cybersherrif

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »

Anthony, OK. I'll do what you recommend. I cleared cache earlier today, but that didn't help.

calldrin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 10:07:18 PM »

Hello,
I just installed ActivePhone on my iPhone tonight and it works great.
I did have to turn off windows firewall.
I also setup port forwarding for 8777 as well.

After looking at ActivePhone and X10 Commander I like the visual display better on the X10 Commander, it is easier to read with the larger fonts used.

At this point, I will use both and see which one I like the best.
There is not much information as to the abilities of ActivePhone.
Lets hear from other users ;-)

Chuck
Chico, CA

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »

ActivePhone sounds like a good addition, except that it only works with the iPhone and others of that type, not with all cell phones.   :'(
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.