Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Active Phone Tips & Tricks  (Read 93877 times)

Netropy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Active Phone Tips & Tricks
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »

Why, if my iPhone will connect using http://192.168.0.x:8777/ahp won't it connect using http://bobs1150:8777/ahp like the other computers that are on my wireless network?

I think I got it now. My guide suggests using the computer name, when other devices can "resolve" that Computer Name. That means taking the NetBIOS Computer Name, talking to the router, and figuring out what IP Address it belongs to.

Regular computers can do this without issue, but mobile devices (like our iPhones) don't recognize this by default. Some Routers will take care of doing the "translation" of Name to IP Address for you (for example, mine does this, and so do several others). Some models don't....

It works on the Windows machine because it knows how to resolve the NetBios name to a particular machine on a Windows network.  The iPhone doesn't.  There's no native NetBios (or Samba-type translation as used by Unix and Mac machines) built into the iPhone (at least unlocked).

You'd need to either set an internal static IP for the AHP machine and use that as the URL on the iPhone, or set up some other translation service like Active Directory, an internal DNS, or run a proxy.  The static IP is easiest.

tybirdtybird

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »

Thank you anthonylavado  for your post going to try setup to use 3g . I hate have to turn on wifi just to use ActivePhone.  Its going to be cool mess with the family  turn on Xmas tree and light outside on my Iphone.

bookm

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »

anthonylavado

Thanks very much for a valuable thread. I have a question which may be very basic for you but, I have Time Warner cable as an internet provider, and their Motorola modem terminates in my home office. From there, I am hardwired to a Belkin wireless G router which hardwires to my desktop which is running my AHP, and provides the signal for my wireless home network. I’ve had no success in port forwarding the wireless router, as their help info asks for two inbound ports and, for some reason, won’t allow me to enter a complete IP to be accessed at my desktop. I’ll figure that out.

My question is, does the cable modem play any role in this setup, or am I only concerned with the wireless router which is probably blocking access to AHP from outside? When I enter an email address in the “invite a cellphone” window, AHP sends out an email with both 3g and Wi-Fi addresses, but when clicked, the site is “not available.”

I have not, yet, tried using a computer name, rather than an IP. That’s next.

Thanks

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 12:23:44 AM »

My question is, does the cable modem play any role in this setup, or am I only concerned with the wireless router which is probably blocking access to AHP from outside? When I enter an email address in the “invite a cellphone” window, AHP sends out an email with both 3g and Wi-Fi addresses, but when clicked, the site is “not available.”
TWC only blocks Port 80 (regular webserver) and 21 (FTP Server). Since running AHP uses neither of these, it shouldn't be a concern.

You'll want to visit http://www.portforward.com and see the guide available for your model router. From there, ensure that Port 8777 is forwarded to your computer running AHP :)

edit: Wrong port typed in my tiredness
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:04:59 AM by anthonylavado »
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

bookm

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 12:45:33 AM »

I'll visit that site. To be clear, is it 3777 or 8777 I'm trying to pass through? I follow your threads as closely as possible.  Your advice to all is very much appreciated. Thanks, much. 

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 01:05:39 AM »

To be clear, is it 3777 or 8777 I'm trying to pass through?
8777. I must be more tired than I think  :)%

FrGuido

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 02:23:13 AM »

YES!!!! Anthony! 

Thank you. That's the trick. And the old laptop didn't need the Apple software. The iPhone immediately handled it as did the laptop and now we just wait to see if wandering IP addresses don't bother it but with the name as an address, I don't see how we can miss.
Thanks!!!!
Bob Mansfield

tybirdtybird

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »

My belkin router F5D8235-4v23 under virtual server where i forward the ports is not show the right ip address its showing 192.168.2.*** There the pic. At http://www.whatsmyip.org/ its not showing that ip address at all. What do i do ?

This is what i have to fill out Description ,Inbound port ,Type  what is listedTCP OR UDP or both ,Private IP address ,Private port   

I would love to use 3g so idon't have to use WIFI on my Iphone

Ty

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:51:20 PM by tybirdtybird »

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »

My belkin router F5D8235-4v23 under virtual server where i forward the ports is not show the right ip address its showing 192.168.2.*** There the pic. At http://www.whatsmyip.org/ its not showing that ip address at all. What do i do ?

This is what i have to fill out Description ,Inbound port ,Type  what is listedTCP OR UDP or both ,Private IP address ,Private port   

Enable -> Check
Description -> ActiveHome
Inbound Port -> 8777-8777
Type-> Both
Private IP Address -> The one that you see from ActiveHome Pro, for your AHP Computer
Private Port -> 8777-8777

The IP address you see on WhatsMyIP.org is your Internet Connection's External IP, like an address for the outside world to reach it.
Think of it this way: Your Router is like an apartment building. There's an address, like 123 Fake Street for the outside world (WhatsMyIP), then there's an apartment number (your Private IP 192.168.x.x), then a room in that apartment (Port 8777).

Hope that helps! :)

tybirdtybird

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 10:32:54 AM »

Hey thank you. I just tried it and no luck. B:(

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 10:54:48 AM »

Hey thank you. I just tried it and no luck. B:(
Sorry, it was so late that I forgot to mention: after you make that change on the router and click "Apply Changes", it will save the info you've put it.

Then, on your phone, you would isit your ActivePhone link in the form of:
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8777/ahp
where x is the IP address you get from What's My IP. Of course if you have a security key (like ?xid=abcd12345), it goes in there too.

Just a quick question though: turning on WiFi does save you bandwidth on your data plan, and if it's just lights so far, most routers should reach outside your house. At any rate, give it another shot. If course, you get any of the "Pro" mobile apps, X10 lets you use their reflector server so you don't have to set up port forwarding. It's only a one time purchase, and any of them (iWatchMobile Pro, MyGarage Pro) will do it.

tybirdtybird

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 04:38:54 PM »

The WiFi doesn't.t go to far outside. I have unlimited date plan with my Iphone 3gs love the phone best cell i ever had. I have to get iWatchMobile Pro. Wish i had garage i would get that app. Now onalert mobile and active mobile stop working both pages load fine but thats it. The only thing is i don't have any cameras would that still work ? X10 is sell iWatchMobile Pro for  $29.99 . with name your price how low would they go ?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:54:38 PM by tybirdtybird »

tybirdtybird

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »

anthonylavado

Thanks very much for a valuable thread. I have a question which may be very basic for you but, I have Time Warner cable as an internet provider, and their Motorola modem terminates in my home office. From there, I am hardwired to a Belkin wireless G router which hardwires to my desktop which is running my AHP, and provides the signal for my wireless home network. I’ve had no success in port forwarding the wireless router, as their help info asks for two inbound ports and, for some reason, won’t allow me to enter a complete IP to be accessed at my desktop. I’ll figure that out.

I have not, yet, tried using a computer name, rather than an IP. That’s next.

Thanks

I'm only getting one address . You said your getting to 3g and WiFi ?

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 01:36:52 AM »

I'm only getting one address . You said your getting to 3g and WiFi ?
You get a 3G address provided using X10's Reflector Server when you have one of their Pro Plugins like iWatchMobile Pro or MyGarage Pro.

tybirdtybird

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 10:14:07 AM »

Now both of them are not loading up.  B:( I hate to go and spend the ex money when those two are not working at all. I use x10 commander it works good. Would be nice to have at least onalert mobile working so i can arm and disarm.

I'm thinking of uninstill everything and then go back and instill again. Tech surrport sent me an email tell me how to make sure everything is removed.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Here in Indiana it rained all day then turn into lite snow now its 23 outside its 10am now. Winter here  :(
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:20:33 AM by tybirdtybird »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.