Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camera Interference?  (Read 8846 times)

rlcohen7

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Camera Interference?
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:06 AM »

I just installed the XX20A camera and after playing with it for a while was able to get a video on my computer. However, now a day or so later I only get horizontal flashing white and black lines and  no discernable picture. I suspect that interference is the cause but can't identify the culprit. My two cordless phone systems are 900MHz and VTech Bluetooth Dect 6.0. I tried disabling Bluetooth but that did not help. Based on info from another post, I even disconnected my two SonicCare toothbrush chargers. We have no video games or devices other than a cable broadband router that might cause interference. I tried using channel codes A, B and D to no avail. During the time when I was able to get a video I was using Channel D. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Camera Interference?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:23:30 AM »

Wireless networks can cause interference with X10's 2.4GHz signals.
Is you router doing wireless networking?
Some microwave ovens have also been reported, but that was intermittent. Depending on if the oven was on.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »

If you don't find a noise problem, this is something you can try.

Do you only have one camera? If so, and if your using AHP/IWatchout setup another "dummy" camera within the same group of four. (cam1 is c1, dummy cam is c2)  then try switching cams and see if that helps to get your video back.  If that doesn't work you might try unplugging the camera and plugging it back in.

I have this problem every once in a while, a camera will just show flashing lines like it lost a signal.  Normally switching cameras will straighten it out.  Why it does it I don't have a clue though.

Another idea, is to unplug the va11/va12 and plug it back in.  But be advised that doing this sometimes it will go through the driver install again.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

rlcohen7

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:12:32 AM »

I tried unplugging VA12A and the camera - no change. I unplugged the router - no change. I unplugged to Blackberry chargers - no change. The microwave oven is not on. Then with router off I also unplugged the camera momentarily - no change. I unplugged Va12A momentarily - black screen. The lines still appear even if the camera is unplugged! The screen goes black if the video transceiver is shut off. What is this saying?

I do have two cameras but have only set one up so far. I tried the second camera in place of the first but got the same result. I have not tried setting both up at the same time.

rlcohen7

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:21:11 AM »

I set up the second camera and get the same interference pattern on both.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »

So the second camera is not on at the sametime the first one is.

Only one camera can be on at a time.
They are controlled by an X10 power line signal.
In groups of four. Same House Code and Unit codes 1-4,5-8,9-12 or 13-16.
Turn one in the group on the other three go off.

When first powered up the default is on. So if you plug more than one in and didn't yet command one to go on. More than one could be on and inter feering with each other.
Another problem sometimes seen. Is the On command to one cameras addressable power supply does not get received by a different cameras addressable power supply and it does not go off. Again more than one on can interferer.

rlcohen7

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »

The cameras are set up as D8 and D13 in the same room, not anywhere near TVs etc.
The VR36A, set to channel D, is about 10 feet away from both of the cameras. When I turn one of the cameras on (green dot on icon) the other turns off (black dot). I get the same interference pattern on both as I switch from one to the other.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:53:31 AM »

You say that the receiver is on channel "D" but what about the cameras?  The cameras also have a channel selector under the rubber plug in front.  Make sure they are set to "D" as well.  Also I would change the house and unit codes to something like "D1 and D2" or "D5 and D6".
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

rlcohen7

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »

The cameras are also set to channel D. I was finally able to get video from both cameras by momentarily unplugging the Transformer for VR36A. Previously I had only unplugged the VA12A USB connector, the jacks in the Va12a line and turned the VA36A switch off and on. I had ot touched the transformer before. The video is fuzzy but it is there.

Thanks for everyones help. Now that the video is working I want to be able to access AHP from a remote computer. I have not been able to do that and I'll post a new note on that subject.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.