Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: CM15A triggers timers earlier & earlier each day  (Read 26137 times)

bvw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A triggers timers earlier & earlier each day
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:26:35 AM »

Hello X10 Community. Please help.
My AHP System had been working fine for years, until recently.
The CM15A began to trigger my timers earlier and earlier as each day would pass.  Now, after a “Clear Memory” and new download, on Day 1 – timers generally trigger as programmed; on Day 2 – timers trigger 10 minutes early; on Day 3 – 40 minutes early; Day 4 – 90 minutes early, etc..
To date, I have installed a new CM15A, performed numerous “clear memory” and fresh downloads, ran the CM15A on each of the house phases, ran two CM15A’s simultaneously with one on each phase, installed filters on all noise generating gear, deinstalled AHP 3.228 and installed AHP 3.271, and built a new ahx file from scratch.  Same result.
I’m still thinking it must be software related somehow. (Running XP SP2).
I had experienced a few AHP software hangs recently and perhaps corrupted a file.
(BTW, When I began to build a new ahx after the new AHP version install, I was surprised to see that my old Hardware Config settings were still in place – I expected them to be deleted during the deinstall).
The only other change that I made to my X10 network prior to this problem, that I can recall, is that I replaced a WS467 wall switch with a XPS3 so that I could run a CFL without putting noise on the line, but the timers continued to run fine right after that change. 
I’m stumped. I would really appreciate your advice and direction.
Thank you,
BVW

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: CM15A triggers timers earlier & earlier each day
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 01:46:22 PM »

Post one of your timers that is running earlier and earlier so we can see what's going on?  Also do any of your timers have offsets like "30 minutes before dusk"?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

bvw

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »

Hi, Every single timer triggers earlier and earlier by day, both fixed timers and those with dusk+offsets.

(Sorry, couldn't figure out a better way to post timers here - can I attach screen shots?).

Here's a copy/paste from the general report:
LIVING ROOM
Module Name Code / Trigger Model
Lamp by Steps H1 RR501
T I M E R S
# Dates             On Time Dawn Offset Dusk Offset Off Time Dawn Offset Dusk Offset Security Repeat Enabled Days
1 01/01 to 12/31 6:45 AM                                   7:45 AM                                               Yes     Yes      Weekdays
2 01/01 to 12/31 Dusk                       00:10         12:10 AM                                              Yes     Yes      Daily

Radio H2 AM486
T I M E R S
# Dates             On Time Dawn Offset Dusk Offset Off Time Dawn Offset Dusk Offset Security Repeat Enabled Days
1 01/01 to 12/31 8:00 AM                                   4:45 PM                                               Yes     Yes      Weekdays

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:28:55 PM by bvw »

jmanley

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:01:42 PM »

It sounds to me like the internal clock of the CM15A is wonky.

If it were the dusk/dawn offsets, then it would change by no more than a minute or two a day... 10 minutes shift on the first day, an additional 30 minute shift the second day, and an additional 50 minute shift on the third day is much more than dusk/dawn shift.

Do you happen to have another CM15A that you could try in its place?

bvw

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:30:47 PM »

This is the third CM15A that I have tried (I just received this one from X10 the other day).
That's why I believe that the problem lies within my downloads some way.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:34:56 PM by bvw »

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »

It may sound odd, but have you tried going to Tools/Hardware Configuration and manually enter your longitude and latitude?
If not, try this and then download to the CM15A and test your timers again.
It also might not hurt to try different dusk/dawn resolution settings.

bvw

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 04:52:14 PM »

J.B., Thank you for your idea. Believe it or not, I actually did that exact thing today, as well as changing the dawn/dusk resolution just to see if changing the Hardware Config download would make any difference. School is still out. I plan on leaving my PC running for now in order to capture a more comprehensive history of commands sent in the Activity Monitor.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:02:31 PM »

bvw,

From what you posted above, it appears you have "Security" checked on the timers.  Uncheck it.

The purpose of "Security" is to make the timers drift so they don't always happen at the same time and gives your house a more "natural" lived in look when you're away.

The variation is to make it appear that a person is controlling the lights and not a timer.  ;)
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:31 PM »

just to throw in a suggestion:

It's been posted that noise on the powerline can cause a disruption in the counter on the cm15a that tracks time.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17586.0
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:15:59 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »

J.B., Thank you for your idea. Believe it or not, I actually did that exact thing today, as well as changing the dawn/dusk resolution just to see if changing the Hardware Config download would make any difference. School is still out. I plan on leaving my PC running for now in order to capture a more comprehensive history of commands sent in the Activity Monitor.

Here's another thought:
I've seen a number of reports that running with the CM15A disconnected from the PC can cause the time to drift, because of variations in the 60 Hz on the power line.
From what I can tell, most people were able to correct that by keeping the CM15A connected to the PC, with the PC on (AHP doesn't need to be open).
You might want to see if that helps at all.

Have you added anything else in the house recently, that might be cause noise on the line?
What about any neighbors on the same transformer? I had noise problems created by a faulty CFL bulb that my neighbor was using across the street. You never know where noise can come from, or what havoc it can cause.

bvw

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »

Thank you all very much for your thoughts, very interesting reading.
I have always kept my CM15A plugged in to the same receptacle but I don't run the connected PC 7x24.
Current Status:
Yesterday I modified the lat/long and the dawn/dusk resolution settings in the Hardware Config.
I left my PC running overnight to populate the Activity Monitor.
Results so Far: All of my overnight and morning timers triggered as programmed.
Now is this because the PC was left on or because some corruption was corrected by modifying the Hardware Config?
I will shut down my PC today and see what the timers do this evening.
(I sure hope it isn't a powerline issue because I don't believe that it is noise generated from within our house).
Thanks again.

bvw

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 12:30:03 PM »

Bad news. Last evening the timers were triggering 10 minutes early and by this morning they were triggering 20 minutes early.
Based on your feedback so far, it must then be a powerline issue that is causing a disruption in the CM15A time counter.
Unfortunately, we are not able to keep a connected PC running 7x24, and we certainly don't want to abandon AHP after all these years.
So now what is the best method to identify and correct this powerline issue?  And/or how does one correct variations in the 60 Hz on the powerline?
I have already installed XPPF filters on all our electronic equipment, and nothing new has been brought into the house recently except a Washer/Dryer set. I can try removing all the CFLs as well.
Also, as a note, all my timers always go through (ie., none are being blocked by noise), so apparently, only the CM15A time counter is being impacted.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »

Is the CM15A the ONLY thing whose clock is drifting, or do you have other devices (various clocks, microwave or oven timer, etc.) that are also drifting with respect to actual time?  If everything is drifting, then the 60Hz coming from the power company is off slightly.  If only the CM15A is drifting, then there must be some sort of powerline noise that is interfering with its 60Hz reference.

In the first case, there really isn't a practical solution.  In the second case, the offending noise source must somehow be blocked.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

bvw

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 12:13:54 PM »

Hello Jeff,
The CM15A is the only clock in the house that apparently is drifting with respect to actual time (and always in one direction).
Jeff, does it make sense to you that an offending noise source could impact only the CM15A clock and nothing else regarding the X10 network of devices? And would you think that the offending noise source is most likely within our house?
Thanks,
Bill

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »

When you have the CM15A disconnected. Is the USB cable hanging loose on the interfaces connector?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.