Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X-10 Camera Reception Problems  (Read 6571 times)

Phil45680

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X-10 Camera Reception Problems
« on: October 03, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »

I have an X-10 camera system with 4 cameras on Ninja Pan and Tilt Bases. 2 Color (XCam2), 2 B/W (XCam2 NightWatch ). My problem is this. I can get all 4 working perfectly. If the weather changes, the signal changes. If someone walks into the room, the signal changes. If someone moves position in a chair, the signal changes. I have tried moving the receiver (Model VR31A), repositioning the "antenna", repositioning the antennas on the cameras themselves but nothing seems to keep the system working without interference all the times.

I have a microwave which interferes when it is running and I understand that. I use a 5.8ghz telephone system that I've unplugged, a wireless router, also tried unplugging and neither seems to help.

I have thought that if the antennas on the cameras could be mounted and not rotate with the base, then a good signal could be maintained. However that is a different subject.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to keep a constant picture quality, I would appreciate the help. Also, if more info is needed, please advise and I will try to supply any info needed.
Be Careful! For the toes you step on today may be connected to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X-10 Camera Reception Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 04:57:09 PM »

I have thought that if the antennas on the cameras could be mounted and not rotate with the base, then a good signal could be maintained. However that is a different subject.
If anyone has any suggestions as to how to keep a constant picture quality, I would appreciate the help. Also, if more info is needed, please advise and I will try to supply any info needed.
You are on top of most sources of interference to the 2.4GHz signal from the cameras (router,etc). Your description certainly points at very marginal signal.

There is information on the forum for replacing the directional paddle antennas with omni sticks. I have no experience with them, although it would seem to me that an omni stick will have worse range than a directional paddle, as long as the camera paddle is pointed at the receiver paddle. But as soon as you pan the camera this "ideal signal" changes. I think a search for "omni" should turn up something. I think several forum camera experts are using omnis.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Phil45680

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »

Thanks DaveW! I will look into the omni sticks you advise. In the meantime, if there are other suggestions, I would sure like to hear them.
Be Careful! For the toes you step on today may be connected to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 08:26:41 PM »

..... Your description certainly points at very marginal signal.

I'd say that hits the nail on the head.

I think I might explore trying two receivers (if it was my setup). It may be possible to find a better position to place the receiver(s) if two receivers are used. Of course that opens up that other can (of worms) when you have to recombine the signal... by putting the receivers on appliance modules.

You could also replace or convert a camera or two to wired. All the needed info is here at the forums.

There is also the tip/trick of positioning the cameras patch antenna to send the signal to a mutual corner (like the corner of a room). Then direct the receiver antenna to same corner (instead of towards any cameras). This method of reflecting the RF... can be more effective than it might sound.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.