Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tracking down "extra" commands  (Read 10910 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Tracking down "extra" commands
« on: October 06, 2010, 04:22:05 PM »

As some of you may remember, a few months back I had a terrible problem with noise coming from a CFL bulb across the street.
In the process of trying to track that down, I installed an XTB-IIR, and plugged my primary CM15A into it (I have a second one on another PC, just for monitoring).

Well, ever since I installed it, I have noticed some "extra" commands showing up in my Activity Monitor, that I never seemed to have before. Since they are all on Housecodes I don't use, they don't (at this point) mess up my system at all. However, I was wondering how I'd be able to track them down better.

Since they are only showing up on my primary CM15A (which is plugged into the XTB-IIR and connected to a dedicated 220V outlet next to the breaker panel), and not on the secondary one (which is down at the end of a circuit), I am guessing they are coming over the powerline from a neighbor, get picked up by the primary CM15A next to the breaker box, but are too weak to be picked up by the secondary CM15A further down the line.

I'm seeing two types of commands.
1) I'll see pairs (usually) of "Receive RF A Unknown". sometimes (but not always), these will follow immediately after some of my timers firing on schedule. However, that is not consistent.

2) I'll see a pair of "Receive B All Lights On", followed a minute later by a pair of "Receive B All Units Off".
this happens a few times during the day, nearly every day.

Now, I know that I don't have anything on HouseCode B. If I did, I would think the secondary CM15A would pick these up.

I'm thinking a neighbor has something, but this is the ONLY set of codes I see.
As I recall, the X10 security system sends those codes when it trips. Perhaps a neighbor has one, but isn't using any of the modules with it? The times COULD be consistent with people coming home from school and work at different times.

What other devices would send those codes, spaced a minute apart? Can any of the motion sensors be set that way?
A while back, I'd tried to "bait" the system, by sending a flood of "on" and "off" commands all across that housecode, to see if that caused any more activity on that housecode (like them trying to turn off lights that were "magically" turned on). However, I never saw any other activity.

Any ideas where these might be coming from?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Tracking down "extra" commands
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:37 PM »

Sounds like you need to politely ask neighbors (especially those whose electricity comes from the same transformer as your house) if they have X10. If any do. ask what they have and what housecodes are they using or X10 security equipment.  If they do, you have to agree which housecodes are you and he going to get.

Oddly enough I have a B1 showing up under Find other computers in RED. B1 is a code I use in the Winter for our electric blanket.   No other RED shows up.  I wonder what it will show after the Winter and Christmas ahx files are in use, both have B1 in them.

I've had x10 since the middle 1980's and NOBODY else on my transformer has X10 in any form.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:46:57 AM »

Oh, of course I have to ask them. However, I was hoping to gather as much information as I could before doing so.

I think the "Receive RF A Unknown" has something to do with the USB connection and the CM15A.
I think my PC was putting the USB ports to sleep to save power, so waking them up caused the CM15A to be rediscovered, and it interprets that as the "Receive RF A Unknown", or something like that.

Other than the "B All Lights On / All Units Off" pairs, I am not picking up any other stray codes.
I would think if any of my neighbors is really using X10, then I would see a lot more activity.

Does anyone know which devices (security system, motion sensors, PowerFlash modules, etc) generate those codes, spaced 1 minute apart?

Since I'm not using HouseCode "B", it doesn't really affect me at all, I would just like to track down the source of the signals, if I could.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »

PJ's $0.02

Since updating from 228 to 286, I am also receiving RF 00TV, and RF M Unknown. On one CM15A only (I have two and they're within 10' of each other.)  If it's really a true RF signal, I would think the 2nd CM15 would pick up at least one, but it has zero. 

And the M unknown comes every time after I get a particular MS10 detect or reset.

I was getting NONE of these RF signals prior to updating the software - so I find it unlikely that a neighbor started transmitting on the day I upgraded the software, and doubly so that only one CM15 picks it up.

I feel a weekend AHP wipe & reload coming this weekend.   B:(
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:24:46 AM »

I also updated AHP when I received a package with the cm19.  I'm not using the cm19 though.  I am using the cm15 with a v572 plugged into a XTB-IIR.  I also received  a DS7000, with 7 DS10's, 2 MS10's, 2 keyfobs, 1 security remote.  This security system was used.  Picked it up for 40 bucks.  Saying that:

After installing the DS7000 system and the new AHP software (can't remember which version it think it was 3.271) Some of my timers didn't work, even the remotes didn't work.  I went to the pc and started investigating.
I looked in the log of iHouse and blasting away was "a" command.

I started to disconnect items one at a time.  If I unplugged the v572 it quit, so I figured it had to be RF from somewhere so I plugged the v572 back in, away the "a" commands went again.  Went to the all the door and motion sensors and took out the batteries, still "a" blarin away.  Went to the DS7000 took out battery and unplugged from the wall, still "a" firing away. 

Last thing was the cm15 or the AHP software or  iHouse software (I really don't think iHouse anything to do with this though)  I shut down iHouse and AHP and rebooted.  When the pc came up I just started AHP only,   Within a couple of seconds here come the "a" commands.

I couldn't figure it out so I reprogrammed the v572 to disable the "a" house code.  Hooked everything back up and got my system working again.

So in the long run I really still don't know what caused the "a" flooding.  Just some troubleshooting  that I did that did not fix it!  One thing on AHP, I only use AHP for the DS7000  so nothing else is installed in it.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

PajamaGuy

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 11:19:17 AM »

I know all about those "A"'s - I had to write a macro that trapped them, then cycled the power to the V572 to stop the flood. - You're correct, once the flood starts, the only way to stop it is to cycle power to the 572.

My brain's gettin old, but I'm sure the trigger to start the flood came from the MS10's - and I "think" flipping the trigger to "2" is what stopped them.

I know I'm going to hear that it's my repeaters causing my current issues, but until updating the software this past weekend, I did NOT have the problems:
When my DS10's do fire either Motion detected, or Reset, I get upwards of 10 of each received by my CM15, each one follower by a Received RF M Unknown and/or a Received RF A 00TV. - neither of which trigger a flood.  And yep, I put in fresh batteries.

Like I said, I'll try re-installing everything DS7000 and AHP this weekend - my gut is telling me it has something to do with the new OnAlert/OnAlertMobile.  And oh by the way - OnAlertMobile installed double macro commands and it worked BEFORE I got and used the registration code.....

One last thing - I was sure I installed 3.285 on the 2nd, but the ABOUTs show 3.286 installed on the 4th??? for all modules??

Arrrrgh.
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:30:59 AM »

I'm also using a V572RF32, XTB-IIR, and CM15A.
I was also seeing A 00TV, A Unknown, and M Unknown in AHPs activity monitor.
It appears this would happen when a DS10A was triggered.
I had mapped it in OnAlert and used it to trigger a macro.
I removed the sensor from OnAlert and directly mapped it with the V572RF32 and find I am not seeing it as frequently now.
My V572 does not transceive HC A or B, these are transceived by 2 DS7000 consoles.

PajamaGuy

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:37:28 AM »

Geez - I have the same setup - and in my previous post I said I cycled the 572, - I meant to say I cycle BOTH the 572 & the XTB.

I think I like your idea of not installing the MS10's in OnAlert, but rather using the 572's transceived commands instead! 

Are you transceiving anything in AHP?
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »

Nothing is being transceived by the CM15A.
I have 2 DS7000 consoles, one on A the other B, and the rest are handled by the V572.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »

thanks.
Since I don't have any of the security components, nor do I have any motion sensors, can someone tell me if either one can be set to send a "All Lights On", followed by an "All Units Off" about a minute later?

Short of that, could a remote  with dying batteries (or with something on top of it) do the same thing?

Thanks.
--Noam

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »

The security console. When triggered sends an All Lights On All Units Off to trigger the lights on the security house code and powerhorn sirens.
Though it is on a one second cycle.

Low batteries could possible do strange things with remotes.
We have seen motion sensors do that, but you don't have any of those.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 03:35:37 PM »

OK I did a few tests with my modified CM15A.
Where I added a switch to switch the RF receiver in the CM15A Off; with the receiver ICs disable signal pin.
Cleared the Activity Monitor Screen.
Verified an RF remote was not being received or processed at all.
Close AHP.
Start AHP. Activity Monitor still clear.
Close AHP. Unplug the USB Connector for the CM15A. Reconnect the USB Connector for the CM15A. Restart AHP. Activity Monitor now shows two entries. Receive RF A Unknown. Yes the receiver in the CM15A is still disabled.
Clear Activity monitor and close AHP. Turn OFF X10nets.exe. Unplug and plug in the CM15A a few times. Activity Monitor shows no Received RF A Unknown entries.  ;D

Changed Monitored House Code but the Received RF A Unknown was the one still the reported message.

I wounder since the CM19A was added to AHP as a controller. If connecting and disconnecting the USB cable with X10nets.exe running triggers something? I have not tried anything with a power saving mode where maybe a USB port is turned on and off.

MichaelHlubb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »

I'm also using a V572RF32, XTB-IIR, and CM15A.
I was also seeing A 00TV, A Unknown, and M Unknown in AHPs activity monitor.
It appears this would happen when a DS10A was triggered.
I had mapped it in OnAlert and used it to trigger a macro.
I removed the sensor from OnAlert and directly mapped it with the V572RF32 and find I am not seeing it as frequently now.
My V572 does not transceive HC A or B, these are transceived by 2 DS7000 consoles.
I too saw the A 00TV & M unknown RF Received showing up after I updated AHP. I thought I'd traced it to DS-10s. Alarm system RF for sure. I do not have a V572 or XTB-IIR. I do use a CM-15A and DS7000 console.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 10:26:33 AM »

OK I did a few tests with my modified CM15A.
Where I added a switch to switch the RF receiver in the CM15A Off; with the receiver ICs disable signal pin.
Cleared the Activity Monitor Screen.
Verified an RF remote was not being received or processed at all.
Close AHP.
Start AHP. Activity Monitor still clear.
Close AHP. Unplug the USB Connector for the CM15A. Reconnect the USB Connector for the CM15A. Restart AHP. Activity Monitor now shows two entries. Receive RF A Unknown. Yes the receiver in the CM15A is still disabled.
Clear Activity monitor and close AHP. Turn OFF X10nets.exe. Unplug and plug in the CM15A a few times. Activity Monitor shows no Received RF A Unknown entries.  ;D

Changed Monitored House Code but the Received RF A Unknown was the one still the reported message.

I wounder since the CM19A was added to AHP as a controller. If connecting and disconnecting the USB cable with X10nets.exe running triggers something? I have not tried anything with a power saving mode where maybe a USB port is turned on and off.

Brian -
Thanks for doing the research. I recall something from years ago (I'd have to use the "less-than-excellent" search tool here to try and find it) where a user reported all of the "status" commands that the CM15A sends when booting up, connecting to the PC, etc.
I haven't really paid attention to the Activity Monitor is a while, so I don't know if the "RF" commands I'm seeing are really from the CM15A or not.
They clearly aren't REAL RF commands, or my other CM15A would have seen them (AND your "deaf" CM15A wouldn't).
I think this is similar to the "P16 On" that we used to see at power-up, which was never usable to trigger anything from what I recall.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »

I believe P16 ON RF is sent on start up by the CM15A.
Reason escapes me at the moment
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.