Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Compatible phones  (Read 26707 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Compatible phones
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:55:12 PM »

My experience with MyHouse online from my desktop pc has been flakey at best, so I really don't think iWatchMobile could be much better...yet still I wonder....would it be compatible with my phone?

x10 has advertised ANY smartphone as being compatible, but could anyone be more specific about this...like I have a Nokia with data capabilities and web surfing but it's based on symbian and I don't know if that would work.

I would have called customer service about this B:( but I find the people here in the forum seem to know more about these things and to be more helpful.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Compatible phones
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »

If your phone is not a "Smart Phone" it will not work.   This is an add-on that many X10 users cannot use.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10 Dev

• Helpful Post Rating: 19
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:31:59 PM »

x10 has advertised ANY smartphone as being compatible, but could anyone be more specific about this...like I have a Nokia with data capabilities and web surfing but it's based on symbian and I don't know if that would work.

iWatchMobile requires a phone with web browser that supports HTML, JavaScript and AJAX (dynamic HTML).  In addition, your phone must either support WiFi, or you need to be technical enough to set up port forwarding on your home's router.  There might be some compatibility hiccups, but we will fix any such issues.

Which Nokia phone do you have?  A brief web search indicates many Nokia phones should work just fine.

birdzeye

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »

iWatchMobile requires a phone with web browser that supports HTML, JavaScript and AJAX (dynamic HTML).  In addition, your phone must either support WiFi, or you need to be technical enough to set up port forwarding on your home's router.  There might be some compatibility hiccups, but we will fix any such issues.

Which Nokia phone do you have?  A brief web search indicates many Nokia phones should work just fine.

I have the Nokia 5130 XpressMusic, which uses the Nokia browser. It has Operamini browser installed with it but I haven't been able to get Opera to work; just the Nokia browser works.

X10 Dev

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »

I have the Nokia 5130 XpressMusic, which uses the Nokia browser. It has Operamini browser installed with it but I haven't been able to get Opera to work; just the Nokia browser works.

The Nokia browser on the 5130 should work just fine. 

kevinwheeler

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:20:09 PM »

I don't have a smartphone yet, but can I just use a PC running Windows (XP or 7) with either IE or Firefox or something else? Also, since I also haven't had much luck with MyHouse (X10's web server), doesn't this now move the server back to my home PC? This would be a great value to me if it can work with my PC. Also, would this also be true for ActivePhone?

Thanks. If the answers are yes and yes then I will be ordering immediately.

Kevin

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 01:44:50 AM »

@kevinwheeler
Yes, and yes. The web service is handled directly from your PC, with the backend program that helps run AHP. You can access the ActivePhone and iWatchMobile pages from any thing that has a web browser supporting JavaScript. For PCs, that's pretty much every web browser.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

birdzeye

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »

@kevinwheeler
Yes, and yes. The web service is handled directly from your PC, with the backend program that helps run AHP. You can access the ActivePhone and iWatchMobile pages from any thing that has a web browser supporting JavaScript. For PCs, that's pretty much every web browser.

Wait a minute I don't get this...you mean even if I can't get MyHouse to function properly on my PC I can get this new fangled iwatchmobile thingy to install on my PC and it will function the way MyHouse is supposed to function?
This thing actually works on a PC for the purpose of remote viewing??

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »

I can get this new fangled iwatchmobile thingy to install on my PC and it will function the way MyHouse is supposed to function?
This thing actually works on a PC for the purpose of remote viewing??
I read and wrote the post late from my iPhone, so let me clarify for both kevinwheeler and yourself: iWatchMobile and ActivePhone are not intended to be replacements for MyHouse Online. MyHouse aims to give you an actual AHP window, with modules, macros, and more that you can control.

ActivePhone presents you with a PalmPad on your phone, so you're limited to turning modules/macros on/off and using bright/dim commands. At the moment it's no different than a PalmPad, except that it's on your phone; convenient and usable on all your web browsing phones/computers.

iWatchMobile allows you to view any cameras you have connected to AHP with the iWatchOut plug in, and allows you to control those cameras for Zoom, Pan, and Tilt. It does this for up to four cameras at a time.

What I meant to say is that ActivePhone and iWatchMobile do run off of your own AHP PC. They require talking directly to AHP in order to work. It is indeed a webserver as part of AHP, but it does not replace or affect any of the MyHouse Online functionality.

Being a local server on your home network, you can forward the port that it uses to the outside world, so if you know your external IP, you can access ActivePhone and iWatchMobile from other networks. Right now they are not password protected, so this can pose a security risk. Regardless, if you want some direction on getting that set up, see my ActivePhone Tips & Tricks thread.

Sorry for the confusion   :-\
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:06:10 PM by anthonylavado »

X10 Dev

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »

iWatchMobile allows you to view any cameras you have connected to AHP with the iWatchOut plug in, and allows you to control those cameras for Zoom, Pan, and Tilt. It does this for up to four cameras at a time.

#:) That's a great summary.  A small correction: iWatchMobile now allows control of up to 16 cameras at a time.  The camera chooser will display as many cameras as can fit on the cell phone screen -- it depends on the cell phone and whether it's being held in landscape or portrait mode, usually between 4 and 8.  Plus there is a page down button to view more cameras if you have more than will fit on one screen.

kevinwheeler

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »

Thanks - I did understand the first reply and have in fact ordered and downloaded the software. I had some problems initially which are now mostly resolved and have posted my issues in the "New iWatchMobile" thread. But yes, this thing actually works on a PC for the purpose of remote viewing!

Kevin

birdzeye

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 10:11:44 AM »

Would iWatchmobile work with Speakout wireless carrier's data plan?

anthonylavado

• anthonylavado.com
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 12:43:45 AM »

Would iWatchmobile work with Speakout wireless carrier's data plan?
Can't find much on what options Speakout offers for their data plan. If it's just "Mobile Internet" only, ie. Facebook/Twitter/Other Social media, then no. If it lets you browse just about anywhere you want to (as in, you can enter any web address you'd like), then it will do the trick it seems.

cactusjack99

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Compatible phones, and...????
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »

I just cannot resist asking this and branding myself a total idiot,,,, but here goes:

I searched iphone/ipad/ipod app store for an x10 app, and not much shows, although there are a couple that claim x10 compatibility.

Then I sorted through some links on AHP (running on my home PC) and found the iwatchmobile wiki pages, and finally I got here,,, I am gathering from reading this that iwatchmobile and pro, are not apps, they are instead links from ahp to the phones, using wifi or 3g, etc.  ok, enough background.

Here's the question,,, is there any reason then that this would not work on ipad/ipod?  assuming of course, one has the wifi connection?

I have AHP, have had for years, and have solved the myhouse online issue using radmin and port forwarding, only issue is I have to lug my laptop around to get access remotely.  Suddenly this iwatchmobile pro info sounds like a way out of that miasma,,, and my ipod is a heck of alot easier to drag around than my laptop.... yes/no/maybe???

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Compatible phones, and...????
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 05:22:35 PM »

I searched iphone/ipad/ipod app store for an x10 app, and not much shows, although there are a couple that claim x10 compatibility.

Should have found this one:  http://melloware.com/products/x10commander/

As I understand it... X10's app is for android phones.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.