Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: i picked up around 20 board n dual bord cameras,can anyone offer advise  (Read 10587 times)

DWOLF

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

I have around 20 single board cameras and 4 dual board cameras.i bought them at an auction without any paperwork,how can i find out info. as to how each type is to be wired?4 of these came with power supplies 12 and 24volt as well as short cables with BNC connectors.I've never seen this type set up,I've always used a/v cables.how can i tell which power supply goes to which camera?2 have 4post terminals as well as a connector that the BNC wiring plugs into.Would this terminal be 4 an alternative wiring configuration?2 of these cams have wiring going to the lens housing,what would this be?3have 2 adjustment on the lens housings.I assume these are for manual focus and telephoto settings.These 3have a lot larger lens housing the any board cameras i've seen.Any advice would be appreciated.If it helps,i can post pics of any or all or a specific part of the boards.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: i picked up around 20 board n dual bord cameras,can anyone offer advise
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »

Any part numbers or manufacturers data?
Photos may help also.
Google maybe your friend.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:34:57 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »

I have around 20 single board cameras and 4 dual board cameras.i bought them at an auction without any paperwork,how can i find out info. as to how each type is to be wired?4 of these came with power supplies 12 and 24volt as well as short cables with BNC connectors.I've never seen this type set up,I've always used a/v cables.how can i tell which power supply goes to which camera?2 have 4post terminals as well as a connector that the BNC wiring plugs into.Would this terminal be 4 an alternative wiring configuration?2 of these cams have wiring going to the lens housing,what would this be?3have 2 adjustment on the lens housings.I assume these are for manual focus and telephoto settings.These 3have a lot larger lens housing the any board cameras i've seen.Any advice would be appreciated.If it helps,i can post pics of any or all or a specific part of the boards.
Pretty hard to guess from your descriptions.  You don't provide any board identification, any nomenclature like makes, models, etc.

Maybe no more information is present but the description is kind of like saying: "I bought this PC board with parts on it, what do you think it is??" 

Wires going to the lens housing could be for: apeture control, focus control, or zoom control, etc). Large lens housing could indicate image intensifier (old technology), a mechanical apeture, a large high quality fast lens, or a power telephoto lens, etc. BNC connectors would indicate something above consumer grade.

Here let me put some coal in the ole crystal ball and see if I can get it warmed up.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

DWOLF

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:24:13 AM »

I'VE LOOKED EVERY WHERE ON HERE TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW TO POST PICS. I HAVE PICS OF THE BOARD CAMS IN QUESTION BUT I GUESS I'M ATE UP,CAUSE I CANT SEEM TO FIND ANYTHING ABOUT POSTING OR UPLOADING PICS. ALSO,AS FAR AS INFO. ON THE CAMS,IF IT WERE ON THE BOARDS SOMEWHERE I'M SURE I COULD FIND OUT WHAT I NEED ON LINE SEARCH.SOON AS I'M ABLE TO UPLOAD PICS. I'M SURE SOMEONE CAN STEER ME IN RIGHT DIRECTION

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »

I've not uploaded a image to this board, but on others it's a 2 step process:
1) I upload the images to my Google Picasa Web spot (other people use Flicker, Photobucket). Then copy the pictures URL
2) Hit reply, the the Image button and paste in the URl from step 1

DWOLF

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »

THAT SEEM LIKE A PAIN IN THE BUTT JUST TO UPLOAD PICS.  THE 1ST SET OF NUMBERS I'M LISTING,I GOT OFF THE CAM BOARDS.THE SECOND SERIES OF NUMBERS I'M LISTING ARE FROM BAR CODES THAT CAME WITH THE CAMS ATHOUGH I DO NOT NO WHAT GOES TO WHAT.IF I COULD POST PICS. ALONG WITH THESE,MAYBE SOMEONE COULD OFFER ME ADVICE. SOME OF THESE CAMS LOOK TO BE EXPENSIVE THEREFORE I WANNA MAKE SURE I NO WHAT I'M DOING, I WOULD HATE TO DAMAGE THESE.IF IT HELPS,SOME OF THESE CAMS WERE PERVIOUSLY USED AS PART OF WAL MARTS STORE SERVAILANCE,THEY ARE THE ONES THAT HAVE BNC CONNECTORS.HOW DO I DEAL WITH THIS,CAN I CUT THIS OFF,REPLACING THEM WITH RCA'S OR BETTER YET, WIRE STRAIGHT TO A WIRELESS TRANSMITTER?HOW CAN I TELL TYPE OF POWER EACH REQUIRES?THERE ARE 120VAC 60HZ 12VDC 500MA AC/DC ADAPTERS AS WELL AS 24VAC 20VA TRANSFORMERS.EVERY FEW YEARS,WAL MART STRIPS ALL ELECTRICEL EQUIPMENT FROM THEIR STORES,LIGHTS,CAMERAS,COMPUTERS, CEILING FANS ECT,REPLACING WITH ALL NEW WHAEN THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THE OLD,I PURCHASED THE WHOLE LOT.IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE PICS. I COULD E MAIL THEM TO YOU UNLESS I FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST PICS HERE     

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »

DWOLF;
Please use lower case letters in you responses.
All CAPs is considered shouting and harder to read.

You can get fairly inexpensive BNC to RCA adapters so you could preserve the cameras as bought.
To find the power they use. The model number or photo of the board would be needed. So the specifications for them maybe found.
There is no magic formula on what camera uses what power.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »

HOW CAN I TELL TYPE OF POWER EACH REQUIRES?THERE ARE 120VAC 60HZ 12VDC 500MA AC/DC ADAPTERS AS WELL AS 24VAC 20VA TRANSFORMERS.
Like Brian said. There ain't no magic formula....however

It sounds like you have two types of cameras and two types of power supplies. If that is the case, there might be a clue on the camera's PC board. One type camera runs on DC the other runs on AC. First off I assume the board power connectors on both cameras are identical otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

The cameras running on AC will have a more elaborate power supply, capable of changing the AC to DC, than the DC run camera. Look for four black diodes placed together (usually in a row) on the PC board or a bridge rectifier IC. There is likely to be a few large capacitors near by also.  The DC cameras will likely not have these componets in that configuration. I can't explain it any better than that, it's like telling a banker how to do an engine valve job over the phone.  Too complicated for the old geezer to do.  I believe this has been stated several times before, but with some good PC board pictures, and some one here could probably recognize which are the AC cameras and which are the DC cameras.

Or take samples to the local TV repair shop. They should be able to guess which is which.
I will take a WAG: The 24V AC transformer will go to which ever camera is older and larger and has a larger PC board. BTW If it smokes, I guessed wrong.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.