Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Love hate  (Read 10019 times)

Elfmaze

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Love hate
« on: October 08, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »

:-\ :-\Well back at it.   i took a year off after becoming frustrated.  but still love the potential.   plugged in my ahp module,   fired up computer,  hit a key on my keypad......   and nothing.     comp registers a code was sent but nothing happens.      remind me again its worth going thru the pain to get this debugged again.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Love hate
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »

MORE info needed.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 04:19:33 PM »

windows home automation stinks :P

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »

comp registers a code was sent but nothing happens.      remind me again its worth going thru the pain to get this debugged again.

Listen for the little voice saying : "this could be fun". If you don't hear it, take another year off.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:01:03 PM »

No.
Home automation with AHP stinks.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »

....  i took a year off after becoming frustrated.  .......
..... remind me again its worth going thru the pain to get this debugged again.

There are a few people that [just naturally] passionately hate... many of them hate Microsoft But windows has worked fine for me [and most everyone on planet Earth] for what is close to a couple decades now.

Many people don't like AHP... and it's many versions, add-ons, and quirks. I actually think AHP is almost too simple for most people. Don't think too deep when using AHP and you should be OK. More macros are almost always better than well thought-out and carefully planned macros.

Follow the directions that came with your product(s). Answers to most questions are actually in the tiny printed instructions. Read here at the forum. And if needed CALL tech support at X10.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:42:10 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »

No.

Do you REALLY mean that?   AHP does for me what it should do, timers work correctly as programmed and my single keypress macro works every time.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »

I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 08:49:21 AM »

"Invented in 1975?  Why doesn't everyone have it?"

That's easy!!  X10 has NEVER done mass marketing!!!!   The only reason I got into X10 in the middle 1980's was that a friend of mine "turned me on to it".  I in turn have turned 2 friends onto X10.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »

X10 has NEVER done mass marketing!!!! 

Oh come on. X10 was at Radio Shack (during the shacks hey-day) as well as at Sears (when Roebuck was still there). And I used to be able to buy X10 at the big box building supply place too. That's as "mass marketed" as it gets. I would think X10 should be as comman as toothpicks. But... for reasons I challenge anyone to explain... very few people have even heard of X10 [or any of the several flavors of automation products].

I myself.... have AHP and computer control, that not only allows me to Voice Control my home... but lots more. I have to admit... I am baffled at why so few people see the benefits of advanced Home Automation (let alone just some automation). Even you Dan... often point out what products you don't care to use... or don't need.

Maybe Knightrider hit the nail on the head with the one liner:
I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:58:54 AM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 01:45:52 PM »

No.

Do you REALLY mean that?   AHP does for me what it should do, timers work correctly as programmed and my single keypress macro works every time.
I'm happy for you Dan, but you seem to think just because something works for you, that it must work for everyone. As far as ease of use, AHP with it's drag and drop programming is great, but it is not the most stable of software.

Brandt said, (tongue in cheek I believe) that "windows home automamatio stinks" because he is a Linux expert and loves that platform. I don't think it is a "Windoze" problem, I think it is a AHP problem.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 02:10:44 PM »

Let's see if Elfmaze ever comes back, if the poster never comes back, then this topic should be deleted. It serves nothing.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 08:19:44 PM »

........... Brandt said, (tongue in cheek I believe) that "windows home automamatio stinks" because he is a Linux expert and loves that platform.

Well.... that makes no sense what so ever!

I love my wife and know her very well. But I don't think other women stink. Should I? Or... wouldn't that be somewhat... less than rational.

I believe... many Linux users are attracted to that platform because of their hatred of Microsoft. I also think the hatred of Microsoft has nothing to do with the Operating System. This.. and most forums are crammed packed with posts from people that hate American "profit stealing corporation's". It's really pretty sad. But the posts are easy enough to recognize.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »

Let's see if Elfmaze ever comes back, if the poster never comes back, then this topic should be deleted. It serves nothing.

I would really like to help Elfmaze! But even if we don't... or don't receive any feed back to know... ether way. Its OK. This isn't a collection of problems and solutions. This is a Community Forum. We are a loosely knit group of users of X10 products. Yes... we do help people with X10 problems. But mostly we share our ideas, concerns, and know how.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 02:27:21 PM »

I believe... many Linux users are attracted to that platform because of their hatred of Microsoft. I also think the hatred of Microsoft has nothing to do with the Operating System. This.. and most forums are crammed packed with posts from people that hate American "profit stealing corporation's". It's really pretty sad. But the posts are easy enough to recognize.

True... But... :)

Many of us older f*rts, grew up on UNIX platforms and are just more comfortable there.
Linux is a more pleasant place for us.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.