Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Comcast and MyHouse Online  (Read 22354 times)

calldrin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Comcast and MyHouse Online
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:00:51 PM »

I sure hope that someone can shed some light on this problem.

After about 4 weeks of fighting REMOTE connect problems with MyHouse...
This is what I have been told.

Comcast says they don't block ports except #25.  But they also say they DON'T ALLOW port forwarding !!!!
So the issue is that according to X10, ports 80, 443, 8080, and 8888 need to be open for REMOTE access to work.

Also can't get X10 Commander to work using 3G .. WIFI works fine.

Anyone out there using COMCAST  and having success with MyHouse remote or X10 Commander??

PLEASE, please let me know how you got it to work.

Chuck

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: Comcast and MyHouse Online
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »

Hi Chuck,

I had Comcast up until the end of last month when I gave them the boot over their email blocking.
Sounds like you've got more than just their basic modem?

I took their basic cable modem and plugged it right smack into my Linksys wireless router (or any router for that matter) and thus I had complete control over ports.  I also did port forwarding too - again on the Linksys.

Any chance you can do the same?

So while I'm not a MyHouse Remote user, I had no problems w/ any port issues when I had them.

calldrin

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »

Hi Chuck,

I had Comcast up until the end of last month when I gave them the boot over their email blocking.
Sounds like you've got more than just their basic modem?

I took their basic cable modem and plugged it right smack into my Linksys wireless router (or any router for that matter) and thus I had complete control over ports.  I also did port forwarding too - again on the Linksys.

Any chance you can do the same?

So while I'm not a MyHouse Remote user, I had no problems w/ any port issues when I had them.

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried 3 routers, Linksys, D-Link and now a NetGear sent to me from Comcast.

I'm NOT doing email forwarding.  Only trying to do port forwarding.

I did succeed in getting port 6003 and 6004 working so now the X10 Commander for my iPhone works GREAT on my PC and Mac.

Still no luck with ports 80, 443, 8080, and 8888 that AHP seems to want to use.

Sooooo, if anyone has a idea how to get AHP MyHouse "remote" working, PLEASE send me your ideas.

Chuck

pconroy

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:33:13 PM »

Really???

I'm puzzled - I do Port Forwarding on my -- hang on lemme look -- Linksys WRT150N.
Port 22, for example, goes right to 192.168.0.11.

I'm looking at the screen right now:

Single Port Forwarding:
HTTP: 192.168.0.11
FTPS: 192.168.0.11
SMTP: 192.168.0.11
SSH: 192.168.0.11

and a few custom ports that I need for my own stuff.
It's there - I'm looking at it and it works!

This has not changed and was in place when I had Comcast.

Again - I just rented their basic Cable Modem and bought my own Linksys wireless router/gateway to put behind it.

I wonder if they have custom firmware in their routers that disable some things???

calldrin

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:15:20 AM »

Are you using MyHouse and accessing it using the remote from a off site computer?

If so you are the 1st person that I've talked to that has got it to work!

What is port 22 used for?

Chuck

Really???

I'm puzzled - I do Port Forwarding on my -- hang on lemme look -- Linksys WRT150N.

Single Port Forwarding:

Again - I just rented their basic Cable Modem and bought my own Linksys wireless router/gateway to put behind it.

I wonder if they have custom firmware in their routers that disable some things???

pconroy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:52:04 AM »

Nope - like I said - not a MyHouse user.
Just saying I've had Port Forwarding and Comcast working for over a year until I pitched Comcast for Qwest DSL.

Port 22 is my ssh port.
The only way to access the other PCs in the house is via an SSH tunnel to the Linux box.
From there you can jump off to any other PC in the house.

MichaelHlubb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:44:09 AM »

Really???

Single Port Forwarding:

The one Thing I learned this year with dealing with Comcast Techs on the phone. At best their level on knowledge is uneven.  THis was with several major changes to our Cable TV service here in our store.  The 'best' story was the guy who couldn't  speak English (well) and told me we weren't getting HD signals "because we weren't paying for it." he stuck to that line, even while I pointed ouot to him that 1. it was on our next bill, and the set top box from Comcast, which was giving the problem is indeed a HD box. I was working when installed just something later that day unset it. I hung up on him at that point and called back, you always get someone else. and I got someone very knowledgeable that time who fixed the problem, it was at they end in the programing.... whew....My poor blood pressure that week......

back to the subject at hand, While I don't use it. at my home, the AHP there is running myhouse and I have connected  to it. the cable modem there is a basic one ethernet connect which has a Linsys router as the next device, I did have to open some ports on the router to have it work. I use a remote Control program when I connect to that computer from the Store. so While it worked, I don't use the myhouse connection. I prefer more control than that gave me.

calldrin

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:03:48 AM »

Really???

Single Port Forwarding:

The one Thing I learned this year with dealing with Comcast Techs on the phone. At best their level on knowledge is uneven.  THis was with several major changes to our Cable TV service here in our store.  The 'best' story was the guy who couldn't  speak English (well) and told me we weren't getting HD signals "because we weren't paying for it." he stuck to that line, even while I pointed ouot to him that 1. it was on our next bill, and the set top box from Comcast, which was giving the problem is indeed a HD box. I was working when installed just something later that day unset it. I hung up on him at that point and called back, you always get someone else. and I got someone very knowledgeable that time who fixed the problem, it was at they end in the programing.... whew....My poor blood pressure that week......

back to the subject at hand, While I don't use it. at my home, the AHP there is running myhouse and I have connected  to it. the cable modem there is a basic one ethernet connect which has a Linsys router as the next device, I did have to open some ports on the router to have it work. I use a remote Control program when I connect to that computer from the Store. so While it worked, I don't use the myhouse connection. I prefer more control than that gave me.

Thanks for your information.

What router ports did you have to open and where did you direct them to? (location)

If I don't get this working soon, I'm going to give up trying on the remote function ;-(

Chuck

pconroy

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:44:19 PM »

Again - I'm not running MyHouse - so the actual port numbers I use are immaterial.
You can see them there: HTTP would be port 80, SMTP would be port 25 and so on.

With port forwarding - you give it an IP address of the machine that's going to receive traffic on that port.

In my case - you can see that one machine, 192.168.0.11 is the recipient of all of the forwarded traffic.

In my case - I told my Linksys that I want DHCP -- except for a handful of machines.  These I use static IP addresses.
The 192.168.0.11 box is such an animal.  It gets the same IP address from the Linksys every time it boots.
That's what makes port forwarding work.

So - perhaps we can work towards a solution.
What model router or routers are in your configuration?
When you type "http://192.168.0.1" in a browser, what do you see?

MichaelHlubb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »

Older quotes removed

Thanks for your information.

What router ports did you have to open and where did you direct them to? (location)

If I don't get this working soon, I'm going to give up trying on the remote function ;-(

Chuck

I no longer remember my setup for myhouse, my current setup is using windows xp pro's built in remote desktop. a better solution over all for you may be logmein see link for more info. https://secure.logmein.com/

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 11:25:58 AM »

Logmein is the way to go if you want reliability and quick access to your computer.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »

Logmein is the way to go if you want reliability and quick access to your computer.
One of the main problems with MyHouse is that relies on the X10 servers being up and running in tip top shape. This is not something you can or should do. Logmein.com is far more reliable. I've even used it from my iTouch to access AHP.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

pconroy

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »

Just chiming in - that's what I use.  The free grandaddy to Logme In, Citrix, WTS etc - "vnc".

I like VNC since it works for Windows and Linux and I can tunnel the connections over SSH for that extra sense of security!  :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.