Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: new lense sees green as white?  (Read 8476 times)

DWOLF

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
new lense sees green as white?
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »

what would cause the leaves on the trees to show up white as snow on monitor?I replaced lense on a wireless setup,to one that can b adjusted,has 3.5-8mm F1.6 with what looks like an 8 on its side on left and N on right,on outer part adjustment and inner adjustment has t-w,which i assume is tele- wide,i took this off of another board cam that i have no info on therefore no nothing bout this lense other than my cam saw nothin in dark but now sees really well with out any help from light sourse and has really clear view.the cam is color but with this lense it stays mostly bl n white.Bright sunny day is really to bright to usi it.no matter what i do with it,the leaves never look green.more like glow white.

J.B.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: new lense sees green as white?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:48:53 PM »

The lens may not have an infrared filter.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »

what would cause the leaves on the trees to show up white as snow on monitor?
Over exposure. Or as J.B points out, no infrared filtering. Any Aperture control?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

DWOLF

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »

i dont no what apenture control is,1st time hearing of this.as far as IR filter,wouldnt having it cause problem seeing in the dark as it is,it sees better than anything i've ever seen in the dark without any light source other than the neighborhood street lights in the distance.i realize there is an over exposure problem,is an IR filter the only way coirrecting this?what exactly is an IR filter?would it be the tiny slightly tinted piece of glass found behind some lense housings when removed?i've noticed some of my cams have this,others do not.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »

i dont no what apenture control is,1st time hearing of this.as far as IR filter,wouldnt having it cause problem seeing in the dark as it is,it sees better than anything i've ever seen in the dark without any light source other than the neighborhood street lights in the distance.i realize there is an over exposure problem,is an IR filter the only way coirrecting this?what exactly is an IR filter?would it be the tiny slightly tinted piece of glass found behind some lense housings when removed?i've noticed some of my cams have this,others do not.
IR, Infra-Red, Infrared, etc.
Nearly invisable, long wave length light. Google it.
Yes an IR filter could be behind the lens, could also be attached to front of lens, etc. As a test you could alway buy a cheap IR filter from camera store and put in front of your "white leaf" camera to see if it improves the view.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:52:57 PM »

In board cameras, the IR filter is a pinkish tinted piece of glass or plastic that sits between the front of the lens and the picture sensor.  They are sometimes held on the inside of the lens, simetimes attached to the photo sensor, and sometimes, like in X10 cameras, between lenses.  You have to dis-assemble the lens to remove the filter.  That is why you may not see them in all cameras.

I've removed them to use IR light sources and make my X10 cameras have better night vision.  It does present the negative symptom you describe in bright sunlight, and the positive experience in low light.  Theoretically, a night-vision camera may not have one, but I never took one of those apart....
>!

DWOLF

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 06:29:10 PM »

I WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE THE CAM SEE IN LO LIGHT AS WELL AS THIS ONE DOES AND DEAL WITH THE BRIGHTNESS IN DAY LIGHT.I'VE VIEWED S LOT OF SECURITY CAMS,THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST NIGHT VIEWING CAM I EVER SEEN.IT SEES IN THE DARK BETTER THAN ANY CAM I'VE SEEN THAT WAS VIEWING DAYLIGHT.THIS CAM DOES NOT HAVE ANY LIGHTING HELPING IT OUT EITHER.I CAN SEE OBJECTS A BLOCK AWAY PLAIN AS CAN BE.THIS CAM WAS THE WIRELESS BACKUP CAM ON MY EXPLORER,UNTILL I CHANGED LENSE,IT COULDN'T SEE ATHING AFTER LATE EVENING BEFOR DARK.I MOUNTED IT ON A NINJA PAN N TILT,MADE THE BEST WIRELESS SET UP ONE COULD ASK FOR.THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE REPLIED,YOU CONFIRMED WHAT I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE INFRARED PART.I JUST DIDNT NO IT WOULD BE THIS TINY TINTED GLASS THAT MADE ALL THAT DIFFERENCE.REMOVING IT OUT DOES ANYTHING USING IR LIGHTING TO SEE IN THE DARK.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »

DWOLF; Please use mixed case characters. All Caps is like souting and not polite.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.