Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiple VA12A's?  (Read 15196 times)

Khris

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Multiple VA12A's?
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:40:58 PM »

Is it possible that either the Vanguard software, or iWatchout in AHP supports multiple VA12A's?

I've got two plugged into my system now, but Device Manager only shows one.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Multiple VA12A's?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:25:05 PM »

Is it possible that either the Vanguard software, or iWatchout in AHP supports multiple VA12A's?

I've got two plugged into my system now, but Device Manager only shows one.
Simple answer is No!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Khris

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »

Thanks.....even though it's not the answer I was hoping for.

I'm coming to the undeniable conclusion that the software provided by X10 is complete and utter CRAP!  Can someone suggest a 3rd party piece of software which will work for both home automation and camera viewing?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »

I'm not sure why you need 2  VA12A? ??? you can feed multiple cameras through one!
The fact that X10 software can't use 2 is a windows limitation not the X10 software.
As for other software try HomeDomination
Some have reported success with it but your main problem I think will be the VA12A!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Khris

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:19:23 PM »

Took a look at the Home Domination software and honestly it looks really rough around the edges.  :(

My main reason for wanting to have more than one VA12A connected is so that I can have one for use with AHP and another for streaming via a different piece of software.  If I run both AHP and the other software, the image is extremely choppy and unwatchable.

longbow22

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »

Tuiceman

I noticed a reply you gave asking the user why he needed more than 1 VA12A. Thats kinda what my post was about, without using multiple VA12A's how do you view multiple cameras in AHP, like I said in my post I have an x10 gadget that i can pluf 4 cameras into, but i only displays 1 at a time in AHP.
I thought I needed 1 VA12A for each camera in order to view all the cameras at the same time in AHP?

LB

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:00:44 PM »

I thought I needed 1 VA12A for each camera in order to view all the cameras at the same time in AHP?

No. AHP only accepts and uses one (1) Video Adapter (VA12A). X10 uses a unique system to view multiple cameras.

X10 cameras have a power supply that also reacts to X10 PowerLine Commands (PLC). The X10 signal turns on/off X10 devices... including cameras. Though a system called "groups of four" X10 cameras turn other cameras off as one is turned on. Generally a motion detector picks up motion and sends signal that cause the correct camera to come on and a recording is made, picture taken, email or text message sent.

I myself mix non-X10 cameras with my X10 cameras. I use appliance modules to turn the non-X10 cameras on/off. However the appliance module don't react as part of a group of four... so some slight exceptions need to be made.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:22:00 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

longbow22

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 08:48:36 AM »

Well hoot, so without using x10 cameras there really is no way to view more than 1 camera at a time using AHP, sorry for being dense..but i still dont quite get it, in AHP the option is there to view multiple cameras up to 16 I think. How is that accomplished?

I understand the single guy, thats where my x10 gadget (Xvideo10 Video Sequencer) I found comes to play, 4 sources in 1 source out.
http://www.tech-world.com/XVideo10/index.php

LB

Oh, Dave you guys still use the "Home Automation Chat" rooms most nights?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 09:59:51 AM »

The X10 cameras use addressable power supplies to turn them on and off. All on the same House Code and different Unit Codes. Unit codes in groups of four. 1-4,5-8;9-12 and 13-16. Turn one on the other three go off. If you have more than four cameras. The software has to issue a few extra offs to the other groups. So only one is on at a time.

The kit you linked to is interesting, but there is a BIG problem. The CM11A Active Home Interface has been out of production for a fairly long time.
It looks like it used the CM11A to switch between the video inputs. Using X10 on and off commands to the house and unit codes assigned to it at setup.
The four inputs where probably for use by wired cameras or each wireless camera with its own receiver.
Like an On to C1 {if House Code  C was set in the configuration menu} would switch input 1 to the output. An on to unit 5 would start the inputs scanning to the output. An off to unit 5 would turn off all video.

You can get standalone video multiplexers to switch between video sources, but with X10 wireless cameras only one can be on at a time or you get interference. X10 or other brand wired cameras can easily be switched by a video multiplexer into the VA12A. Using the multiplexers sequencing features. AHP would not control it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:34:32 AM by Brian H »

longbow22

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 11:12:16 AM »

I agree about the CM11A, but they are easily found on ebay. What I have works fine. I currently have a Y splitter that comes from the video switcher, 1 lead to the pc with AHP, the other to my projector with 109inch screen. I have a remote that is setup to switch the cameras, with 1 button to scan all the cameras, works like a champ.

LB

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »

Oh, Dave you guys still use the "Home Automation Chat" rooms most nights?

Most week nights.

And to build on what Brian H pointed out... you have unlimited options here.

There is a vast array of ways to capture, record, report and view camera images and video. Each way of using security cameras has both positive and negatives. It can be nice to view several live camera views at the same time. But the viewing area is 1/4 the size it could be. And how do you determine which view many have had recent movement.

However.... In many [but not all] cases... you can even use TWO methods. I purchased a multiplexer for my cameras early on... but have never found a good way of using it. Since your planning on using a Home Automation computer anyway... you could try a different video input device [and software]. Doing so may better allow you to accomplish what you want. The price has dropped on video input/software stuff.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.