Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Video range issue  (Read 12558 times)

vette66_00

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Video range issue
« on: October 28, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »

Ok I have searched and found not a whole lot about wireless video extending. I have a new system (equipment listed below) that I am trying to use from in the house (wood frame) to a Greenhouse (wood frame) about 70 feet away. I get the video but it is constantly flipping (almost like scanning but video looks ok in between the lines). Also figured the reason for my Pan and tilt is not working is because of range for sure.

I want to know if this is a issue with the distance or if it is a issue with interference? 

Here is a video of what I am getting as far as video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTGkXn87eik

VK74A Ninja Pan/Tilt Kit
CM19A Transceiver
VA12A USB Video
VR36A Tiny Wireless Video Receiver
XX16A Xcam2

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Video range issue
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:21:42 PM »

Ok I have searched and found not a whole lot about wireless video extending. I have a new system (equipment listed below) that I am trying to use from in the house (wood frame) to a Greenhouse (wood frame) about 70 feet away. I get the video but it is constantly flipping (almost like scanning but video looks ok in between the lines). Also figured the reason for my Pan and tilt is not working is because of range for sure.
IMHO this is probably interference.

X10 transmits analog composite video, not digital. Weak analog signal is usually marked with fuzzy, snowy image. This image appears fairly clear, so I cast my vote for interference. Do you have a wireless router or a 2.4 GHz cordless telephone.

Ninja P&T signals are transmitted at 310 MHz via the CM19A. Try moving the CM19A a bit. If you have a USB extension try and elevate it and see if Ninja responds
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

vette66_00

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »

Yes I have a wireless router but it was off during this time as well as all the computers that had wifi (I read about that issue before) I dont have a 2.4 phone they are all 6.0. Could it be a neighbor? So if it is such a problem how do I over come this issue?

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:21:39 PM »

Have you tried different channels for the cameras and receiver?  A, B, C, D?
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

vette66_00

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »

Yes the farther down the worse it got. D was almost unviewable.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »

The DECT 6.0 phones use 1.92GHz to 1.93GHz here in the Us and as you said should not be a problem, but you may want to eliminate the possibility by powering them down.

It does sound like interference from somewhere and going higher in frequency >D seems to make it worse.

You only have one camera in the setup?
More than one could be a problem if one was not turning off while another one turned on.

vette66_00

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:46:58 AM »

Only one Camera but hope to have several more soon. I have tried turning off everything in the house that uses RF in the 2.4 range. And I get the same results. I am figuring it is something to do with the area or one of my neighbors has something running on 2.4 close by.

So the question still remains what can I do from here? Return all my equipment to X10 or is there another way of going.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »

In the video I see horizontal retrace lines indicating loss of sync. This could be a weak signal probelm but I still lean towards interference OR a bad equipment.

Have you tried eliminating a CODEC problem in your computer?
1. Plug the video receiver directly into a TV. Still have interference?
2. Move video receiver closer to camera. Still have interference?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

vette66_00

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »

Ok with all of my wireless off I tested the system. Connected to the computer I brought the camera closer to the base. Stared working really good at about 30 feet but only if the antenna where facing each other (so no good if pan and tilt was running). At 20 feet and I could use pan and tilt without issue. Connected to my portable LCD 12" it did the same thing as the computer did as well as directly to my 46" LCD TV. So either I have defective equipment or there is a serious 2.4ghz signal hanging out at my place.

So with this info what do you guys think? Also increasing the antenna would that possibly help this issue or would it cause me to get more interference. At this point I do not want modifiy anything because of the 2 year warranty I have.

Also forgot to include these units are all "SAME AS NEW" units purchased from X10. If it is indeed a problem with the equipment it for sure was and has not been worth the $40 I saved.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 06:21:07 AM »

The antennas have to be pointed at each other as they are directional.
You are not the first person to report panning and tilting gave varied signals.
Some have replaced the antennas with a nondirectional one.

vette66_00

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 07:03:33 AM »

Can you send me in a direction to a decent non-directional antenna? Thinking about this I dont really want to wait around for a replacement and find out I have the same issue and heck it was not that $$ to begin with. I like soldering LOL

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 07:33:41 AM »

There are a few threads here on changing the antennas. Below is one I found fairly quickly.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=gnq87s857iar9me5hrqjguhf91&topic=21060.0

vette66_00

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »

I found that one also and a few others. Now its the wait game for my new parts to show. I will do a detailed HOW TO on installing the antenna and gains or losses I encounter as well as my original issue.

Kermdogg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 10:47:26 PM »

I know that this is way late but I had these lines on most of my cams XC22As expecially the one on the Ninja when panned extreme either way.  I modded my cams by distancing the transmitters from the cams and solved all problems.  Your Ninja control ... I don't know where the reciever is ... so I have no idea.

the mod and where it came from is here http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=21893.0

kermit

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.