Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New DS700/ PS561 Zone Indicator Issue -- HELP PLEASE  (Read 12480 times)

WildBill47

• Helpful Post Rating: 18
New DS700/ PS561 Zone Indicator Issue -- HELP PLEASE
« on: April 14, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »

I have a DS7000 that is several years old and it works perfectly, I decided to get another one and set it up and noticed that when dis-armed and a motion is tripped the zone on the DS7000 console does not light. I checked my old one and any time a motion (MS10A) is triggered the Zone Light for that motion detector goes on until the motion detector resets.

I called Tech Support a couple of weeks ago and they had me return it, I did and got the new one today and it is acting the exact same way, I suspect either a bad production run, bad luck on my part, or a material change in the way the DS7000 works.

I will go through the steps I used to set it up, perhaps someone here can see where I might be going wrong, or let me know if they have the same issue(feature). I will also quote from page 20 of the X-10 DS7000 Manual that suggests to me that this is perhaps a bad run of the units.

1. Plug in DS7000 to 110VAC Power and Install Battery
2. Put the Run 1/2/Install Switch in Install
3. Register a SH624 Security Remote Control (Hear a Ding)
4. Move the Run Switch to Run 1
5. Test the remote by pressing Arm and the Armed Light comes on the DS7000 with one Ding
6. Test the remote by pressing DisArm and the Armed Light Goes Out with 2 Dings
7. Put 4 fresh "AA" batteries in a MS10A, Press the Code Button to give it a new random code
8. Put the Run Switch in Install
9. Press the Test Button on the MS10A, Zone 1 Light Comes on and one Ding
10. Put the Run Switch back to Run 1
11. Press the Arm Away on the Remote (SH624), Get One Ding, Armed Light On
12. Move to trigger the Motion Detector Installed on Zone 1
13. Alarm Goes off, Zone 1 Light comes on Solid, Armed Light Flashes
14. Press DisArm on the Remote
15. Zone One Light Still on, Armed Light Flashing, Noise Stops, 2 Dings
16. Press Lights Off on the Remote, Armed Light Goes off, Zone 1 Light Goes Off

So far so good....

Now in DisArmed mode I trigger motion, No Zone Light at all, on my other DS7000 that Zone for the Motion Triggered comes on in Disarm mode until the motion detector resets, but of course does not set off the alarm since it is not armed. The is an essential feature to find a "stuck" motion zone that happens once in a while, too often to have to guess at which motion is stuck, I use 6 motions in my Security system, 2 on each floor of the house.

Last time I called this in to X-10 Tech Support, they said, no problem, it is broken, the gave me a RMA and I returned it, then the replacement came today and has the exact same problem. (BTW -- Neither had the issue with Door/Window Sensors)

So the bottom line is, that everything seems to work right except the zone light for a MS10A Security Motion does not come the newer DS7000's at least the 2 I have got so far. (Run 1 or Run 2 makes no difference in the problem)

Other Notes:
1. I tested it with several MS10A's, old ones from my older system and new ones, same result, not zone light in DisArm.
2. I tested a new MS10A with my old DS7000  (Installed in Zone 7) and it worked perfectly, when the old DS7000 was DisArmed and I triggered that new MS10A, the Zone 7 LED came on until the motion detector reset.
3. Door/Window Sensors do light the zone light even when disarmed, in Run 1 just the zone light comes on, in Run 2 you get the chime"

Finally, from Page 20 of the "Supervised Security System, Model DS7000" Manual ID: DS7000_h11498b_031106, Page 20
"Testing the Motion Sensor" -- Quoted exactly:
"To Test A motion Sensor
  • Set the Slide Switch to RUN1 or RUN2.
  • Press the TEST button on the back of the Motion Sensor. TheConole's zone indicator for the Motion Sensor blinks on to acknowledge.

This does not happen on the 2 DS7000's I got recently, but it does happen on my older one.

I am hoping someone reading this forum might have some "juice" with X-10", this is the first time I have ever had a problem with them where it does look like I will get any help, they are trying to tell me this is how it is supposed to work now, last time (2 weeks ago it was broken and now it is a "feature"... )

Basically the help I am asking forum members for is for anyone anyone with a DS7000 with MS10A motions to try this and see if their Zone Lights comes on when their motion is tripped while the DS7000 is not armed and post their results

I know I am not crazy since it works on my older one, but it could be X-10 has changed the DS7000 so if you get no light in disarmed, plese post the approx date you got your DS7000, if you do get a zone light like I do, again please post about the date (MO/YR) you got your DS7000.

Thanks for your help!  ???

Last request, if you don'y care about this "feature" and  have a DS7000 that works, I will gladly buy you a new one and trade you for the one that shows zone lights like my old one does. (I'll even pay the shipping)

Thanks,
WildBill

[/list][/list]

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
Re: New DS700/ PS561 Zone Indicator Issue -- HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »

WildBill47,

I have a newer DS7000 and I don't show any light when motion is detected on my MS10A and system DISARMED... So I'm thinking it might be a change in the system....

:'  But I do have a older one coming in the mail and I will check it when it get here's and let you know the out come......
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

WildBill47

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:51:17 PM »

WildBill47,

I have a newer DS7000 and I don't show any light when motion is detected on my MS10A and system DISARMED... So I'm thinking it might be a change in the system....

:'  But I do have a older one coming in the mail and I will check it when it get here's and let you know the out come......

That is what I am afraid of even though the manual still says it is supposed to work that way, to me it would never be worht it to use one that worked that way, I would have to go hunting all over the house to see what zone was stuck when on got stuck...

Looks like if that is the case my best best will be to find someone willing to sell me an older model.

Thanks

ultradianguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »

Mine does not come on either - recently purchased.  I'm glad you posted, because I couldn't understand why I wasn't seeing what was in the manual.

WildBill47

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 09:25:15 PM »

Mine does not come on either - recently purchased.  I'm glad you posted, because I couldn't understand why I wasn't seeing what was in the manual.

This is how they work now, I finally verified beyond doubt. My only chance to get one like the one I already have is if I can find someone willing to trade an old one for a new one or find an old one on the net, but so far no luck on that. I did send a suggestion to suggestions@x10.com but I suspect it will happen anytime soon if at all.

myroon

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »

Hi, Thanks for your post I was afraid that I was doing something wrong.  Now I wish that was the problem.

What a shame!!! This is a very important feature to have lost in this device.  I have the same issue of the zone LED not turning on with a new PS561 system I bought with 10 door sensors and two motion sensors

I feel like returning the whole system.  If enough of us would do this this it might be the only thing that gets X10's attention. 

WildBill47

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 11:29:50 PM »

Hi, Thanks for your post I was afraid that I was doing something wrong.  Now I wish that was the problem.

What a shame!!! This is a very important feature to have lost in this device.  I have the same issue of the zone LED not turning on with a new PS561 system I bought with 10 door sensors and two motion sensors

I feel like returning the whole system.  If enough of us would do this this it might be the only thing that gets X10's attention. 

With mine the door sensors still light up the zone light even in dis-arm, perhaps there is yet another change they took away, it just seem nuts to take away a core and key feature. While it is a pain, one thing you can do is try to arm the system, then the stuck zone will flash.

I would encourage everyone who does not like this change to email suggestions@x10.com that was the "wonderful" answer I gor from tech support, and complain about the malfunctioning units.

Personally I think they had a bad run of units and messed up the function and failed to catch it in QA, since the updated manual clearly states that it should work. Perhaps when this run is sold out the new one will worker properly again.

I got lucky and found someone to sell me an older unit.

dwp

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

i noticed that only the first 8 zones light up the zone leds 9 - 16 do not . mine has zone 8 flashing slowly but the sensor's are working properly.
if i reset and re-install all, zones leds go off but a half a day later one zone flashes slowly. even though all sensors set off the alarm and chim. any-one have the same problem?

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »

i noticed that only the first 8 zones light up the zone leds 9 - 16 do not . mine has zone 8 flashing slowly but the sensor's are working properly.
if i reset and re-install all, zones leds go off but a half a day later one zone flashes slowly. even though all sensors set off the alarm and chim. any-one have the same problem?

Zone 9 through 16 will light if you press the by pass button while in run 2

Tom j.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 09:34:41 AM »

bad feature?  I dont think so...  I have 3 ds7000s, all have worked this way too.  i think it is the right way to behave!  open a door and it dingdongs (run2,  my normal mode) and lites lite solid if left open in either run1 or 2.  yes, important to test system.

motion sensors dont lite led AND SO DONT DINGDONG EITHER.  run 2 position would be useless if motion sensors dingdonged every time you walked past one - it is bad enough to have 10 ds10s on doors and switches and hearing dingdong on the hour from each open, but acceptable as the occasional dingdong tells me the systems are working .  if motion sensor dingdonged too i would not use run2.  I have mutliple sonalerts paralleled on the ds7000 set in different buildings to be able to hear the dingdong around the homestead.

it did not seem a disadvantage to me at all;  if i felt I had a ms10 issue, i just arm, walk in room and it goes off.  job done. verified it works. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.