Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nstinct problem?  (Read 34776 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Nstinct problem?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »

FWIW:

Most of the high end audio equipment I own runs both voltages.  There's a selector switch on the back.  (yes, my amps have remote controls)
Good point, and this is common for commercial equipment. Certainly buttresses the idea that there is no differentiation between 120V and 220V IR codes. Knight can you use your Icon to control your amps?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:19:32 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 06:20:25 PM »

Only all the time!  I carry the ICON with me most of the time (even to bed), much to the chagrin of Mrs. Knight.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »

I shouldn't have asked.   

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 10:53:41 PM »

...  I carry the ICON with me most of the time (even to bed), much to the chagrin of Mrs. Knight.

Power went out last night.  No flashlight in range.  Thank heaven for a bright Nstinct backlit screen!   :)%
 >!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:17:24 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Odex

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 01:57:37 AM »

I'm starting to think I may have bought a dud, but on the other hand what are the chances of both my brother and I getting faulty remotes?

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »

not sure if this is where i should post this or not.  I also have the remote. I have been using it for about a month now. I do like most of the features, but there is a problem i have noticed.  I seems to have a limited range on IR sending, or you have to have the angle just right for it to work, yet the original remotes work even by bouncing the IR off a wall.  So then it was time to investigate. I use the camera in my cellphone to see IR light. Just aim the remote at the camera of the cellphone with it active and press the button on the remote. You will see the light blink or light up. So i did this with the original and the nstinct. I noticed that the original was much brighter of a light. So now it was time to open the nstinct and see its insides.  Upon opening i noticed that the L.E.D's for signal are the blueish colored ones, and the original is the clear lens ones.  So I had a nightvision camera that was broke just laying around in the parts bucket. I removed 2 of the IR LED's from the camera and replaced the blue LED's with the clear camera ones. Then checked with the cellphone again and now they were really bright like the original. I reassembled the remote and presto: I now get great response from the remote, even bouncing the IR off a wall.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

Wohoo!
Yet another story of consumers making X10 products more usable.  :'

Waynemor

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »

Hi Tom J,
I MAY have an answer for you. I had a similar problem when I bought my Icon a couple of years ago.
After using it for some time I was seeing the same type of problem, but after watching what it was doing for awhile I realized (in my case) it was only doing this for keys that I had "taught" it. This gave me an idea.
I am a big person with big hands and a lot of those original remotes that I had programed from had small keys.
When I had done the original programing I was careful to make sure that I did a good keypress for the Icon to learn. I think now it was too good. I reprogrammed all the learned keys with much quicker presses on the originals and the problem went away.
I think I was holding the keys down too long and the Icon was interpreting this as some kind of a two part keypress. This is only guesswork on my part, but the re-programing did work and now that I have an Nstinct I have been careful to use quick keypresses for programing it as well.
Hope this helps,

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 10:34:20 PM »

thanks for that response, it is something i will check and see if it helps.  I have had a good response from the replaced LED's. The other thing i did think of was that maybe there is some sort of delay after selecting which device you want.  If you learned say 20 buttons for the TV functions, and then you were on dvd, and decide to switch to TV, I was thinking that there was a delay before all the buttons would actually function. Of course i dont know the first thing about the programming of this remote, so who knows. 

All I know is the new LED's did help me a lot.  Havent had any problems since, so I doubt there is a delay.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.