Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: iwatchpro and portforwarding. how i got it to work.  (Read 11805 times)

geeforce

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
iwatchpro and portforwarding. how i got it to work.
« on: December 18, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »

I have a cisco/linksys E1000 router. I have been trying to get my laptop, connected wirelessly, to access my camera program. This is what i did to finally get it to work. If you are running a laptop you'll need it's ip address. go to start, run and type in cmd. The window will go black. Type in IPconfig/ALL. Write down all the info and type exit to get out.

1) i contacted cisco and they walked my through the portforwarding. It was very simple. I'm running cisco connect software to configure my router. I clicked on advanced to get to the router page and went to applications and gaming tab then on the single portforwarding tab i inputted the port info. Internal (8777) and external (8775). I also opened a free account with DYNDNS. http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/?via=topnav. Once done you may want to play around with the DDNS tab on the setup tab on your router page after setting up an account. It's a direct connection to DYNDNS. I almost forgot, on the setup tab you need to exclude the laptops ip address from being assigned to anything else. I think this takes the place of creating a static address since thats the point of a static address. so it can't be reassigned to something else.

2) i contacted the modem manufacture and they walked me through performing a bridge. The DSL modem has firewalls in it. When you bridge you will be giving your devices free access to the web.

3) Since I'm running on a laptop. I had to configure my firewall program to allow communication through the programs required ports.

I just got the thing to work. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm bypassing DYNDNS or if it is because of the service that i got it to work. I think i can use a web address to get access to the cameras it's still a work in progress. I was able to get to AHP by inputting my internet ip address:port/iwatchpro. you can get all info you need on setting it up from here. The web site has a lot of useful info. http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/dyndns.html. They even have a tool to test if the ports are open or not for use. feel free to use the forum. Hope this helps you.
 P.S. the refresh rate is very slow but it is working. I can see my cameras anywhere anytime on my Palm Pre', but i still can't use a another computer to see the house. YET.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:08:35 PM by geeforce »

ErikP

Re: iwatchpro and portforwarding. how i got it to work.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm bypassing DYNDNS or if it is because of the service that i got it to work. I think i can use a web address to get access to the cameras it's still a work in progress. I was able to get to AHP by inputting my internet ip address:port/iwatchpro.

Yes, you are bypassing DynDns.  The main thing DynDns does is associate your IP address with a name like mydomain.dyndns.com.  The other thing it does is simply to update that name IP association if/when your IP changes.  This mean any time you type your IP directly you are bypassing the DynDns.

If you are using DynDns and port forwarding is set up correctly you should be using something like mydomain.dyndns.com:port/iwatchpro to access your cameras.  If this isn't working I would log into DynDns and double check that your account is currently associated with the IP address which is working for you when you access your cameras.  It is possible your router isn't properly updating the DynDns account to the current address.

Hope that helps :)

geeforce

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »

Thanks ErikP for your reply. I'm not sure what the reason is, but when i use myhostname.dyndns.com:8777/iwatchpro on a desktop it doesn't work but it does work with my cell. Any suggestion. >!

ErikP

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:05:31 PM »

My first guess would be maybe your desktop or your router has DNS caching enabled, and has an old (now invalid) IP address cached for that DNS name.  Here is a link to how to flush the DNS cache from a desktop http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-flush-dns.html.  Most routers now days also have their own DNS caches that they use to act as a sort of central cache for your home network.  You will have to look up your router's instructions again to find if you have one and how to flush it.

Its possible the cache is working the other way around too.  Maybe DynDns was setup correctly before, but then broke.  If you connected your phone to your cameras while it was working it might have cached the good IP address.  any desktops of other systems to try and look up the name after that would get the new bad IP value.

On the upside either way, if I'm right, it was or is correctly setup for DynDns.  We just have to figure out why its only talking to some of your systems :)

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:56:07 PM »

Quick question here, not trying to hijack this thread.  I'm using a static ip address now that I created using the DNS site.  I use this on the pc that's running AHP, and it's used to run X10 commander over the web.   I have iwatchmobile pro running on my iphone4.  Is it possible to bypass x10's reflector server and connect directly to my pc using the static ip and DNS host I created to view my cameras?

Thanks!

ErikP

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 02:14:19 PM »

Yes, it is possible to bypass the reflector server and access your mobile applications directly.  See this thread http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=21436.15 for a whole discussion on setting this up.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.