Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Going to buy some 220V stuff: newbie questions  (Read 4623 times)

Ivan15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Going to buy some 220V stuff: newbie questions
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »

Hello everybody!

I need to set up some automation for a new house, 2 rooms in particular. I have ready a lot of docs/websites already, but there are still some questions left.

1. Most US sellers at ebay, here at x10.com etc sell the 110V gear, which I don't need. I have actually only found 2 places with 220V stuff: x10modules and the chinese x10-hk.com site (not advertizing them at all now, would be glad to find an alternative). The first one seems to sell the same gear as listed in all 110V sites and the second is selling some chinese equivalent, they call it X10^2. Did anyone try that? Are they compatible with normal X10? The prices are quite good.

2. One of the reasons I want X10 is the All lights off functionality. I want a simple wall switch to disable all lights (and some power outlets too) when I leave the house and then enable the outlets when I come back. How do I make a simple wall switch send that signal? Is that possible at all? Or do I need a PC controller for that?

3. I would also want a motion sensor for the corridor, that should switch the light on when someone approaches and switch it back off in a minute. But I also want a kind of override button here, to put the light on when you press it and switch it off ONLY when you press this switch off. This could probably be achieved by the classic non-X10 switch connected in parallel to the lamp module, but in that case you cannot force the light OFF. Other ideas here?

4. Also, are there wired motion sensors? I was not planning any RF transmitters/receivers.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Going to buy some 220V stuff: newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »

1. Are you in the US?   If not, you have to buy from X10 Europe or the Australian X10 source. If in the US, WHY do you need 220 Volt items?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »

We have had a few other threads where the X10^2 modules where mentioned, but we didn't have any information on them. Like do they work and follow the X10 protocol.

Just remember the overseas X10 units use a different RF frequency for their remotes. So you can not mix US and overseas RF devices.

Where are you located. We may have added web sites where 220 volt units are sold. I know the plug in ones can be gotten with varied power plugs to match the local outlets.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:18:21 PM by Brian H »

Ivan15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 02:37:20 PM »

Dan, you answered your own question. If I need 220V, I'm not in US obviously :) I'm in Russia.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:03:26 PM »

Dan, you answered your own question. If I need 220V, I'm not in US obviously :) I'm in Russia.

Not really, there are 220 volt X10 items (like controlling @220 volt Air Conditioners).  If X10 Europe has a website, you have to go there.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.