Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Thinking of taking the dive in to AHP.  (Read 11038 times)

Outlander

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Thinking of taking the dive in to AHP.
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »

Hello folks,
I have been searching the forum and looking up what is the best route to go, i.e. soft/hard ware to get my house to preform things while I’m away.

I would like to be able to control lights, my home ac unit, control the x10 cameras, and make it look like there is someone home when I'm not and be able to check on things from my iphone or computer.

I'm looking for wall outlets not plug-ins and HAVC controller. What is the best route to go?

Thanks

Oh ya, the x10 cameras I have not had any joy with >*<, so that system is not up and running yet. Im hoping the new USB ActiveHome Pro Computer Interface controller will be better then what came with the cameras.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Thinking of taking the dive in to AHP.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »

The AHP usb cm15a is the unit to get not the cm19a.
Get the full AHP software package, it usualy is the best deal.
It will work better then the interface that came with your cams.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Outlander

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »

Great thanks for the heads up on that. Now I need to look into something that will turn on tv with the system.

Outlander

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »

Have more questions

Is it possible to have the AHP send a signal to the x10 5-in-1 HD Universal Remote and have it turn on the TV via CM15a, or does x10 have a device that will do this. because the tv only comes one if the remote is activated. Its a 55" LED samsung.

Does the SignaLinc™ Plug-In Phase Coupler work or do I need to preform the hardwire device install to the braker box.

More to come as I think of them. Trying to decide what I need to order.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »

Does the SignaLinc™ Plug-In Phase Coupler work or do I need to preform the hardwire device install to the braker box.
FWIW suggestion.

I wouldn't mess with passive couplers. They couple the X10 signal from one phase to the other, but with no amplification. Because of noise issues the X10 signal has a hard enough time doing what it is supposed to. I would go for an active repeater.
IMHO here is the ranking order of common X10 signal repeaters:
1. XTBIIR from JV Digital Engineering. It is normally wired in to breaker panel.
2. CR234 from HomePro/ACT.   It also is normally wired in to breaker panel. However I wired mine into our dryer, but you need to put some in-line fuses (5 AMP)  in the lines to the repeater if you do this. The dryer's 50 amp breakers will offer no safety/fire protection in the event an electrical problem develops in the repeater.
3. SignaLinc Plug-in Coupler-Repeater from Smarthome.com. Plugs in to dryer outlet. You need to determine if your dryer hook-up is three pin or four pin.
4. Either X10 or Leviton Repeater. Both are normally wired in to the breaker panel.
http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=X10 repeater
BTW by code, the wire in repeaters should be on their own breakers (not shared).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Outlander

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »

Thanks for the insight, so this is the one I'm looking to install using two 15amp brakers. "XPCR Home Automation Coupler Repeater Booster"

Is there an X10 item to turn on a tv via AHP using a remote of some sort. Has anyone been able to perform this task with AHP.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »

Thanks for the insight, so this is the one I'm looking to install using two 15amp brakers. "XPCR Home Automation Coupler Repeater Booster"
Great value for the money, especially if you get from ebay ($18). Mine tended to periodically lock-up for no appearent reason other than to make me nuts. Cycling the breakers always fixed the problem.
http://www.smarthome.com/1623/X10-to-IR-Linc-X10-X-10-Signals-Control-Infrared-IR-Equipment/p.aspx

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 06:34:15 PM »

Unfortunately the X10 to IR Linc was discontinued by Smarthome.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »

Is there an X10 item to turn on a tv via AHP using a remote of some sort. Has anyone been able to perform this task with AHP.

What's the electrical draw of the TV?   X10 may make a module that could handle a TV, but you need to post the power draw of it so we can see what Appliance Module could handle it.  I've never tried to control a TV by X10 since virtually all have a remote of it's own.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Outlander

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 09:36:10 AM »

Its a 55" LED samsung "smart tv", Getting power to the tv is kind of a small issue compaired to getting it turned on. It can only be activated by the remote. I was wondering if one of the x10 remotes can be accessed via AHP and CM15a to tell it to flash tv on , then stay on for an hour then send another signal to turn off. But that will be in the macro if it can be done.

Stand-by Power Consumption: < 0.2 W
AC 110-120 60hz 220w

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »

I was wondering if one of the x10 remotes can be accessed via AHP and CM15a to tell it to flash tv on , then stay on for an hour then send another signal to turn off. 0w
No, none of the X10 remote controls can "receive", which would be needed to do what you want.
I am confused, why don't you use a X10 remote that can also send RF X10 signals (Nstinct, etc.) You could build a macro in the remote to turn on the TV then send an RF command to AHP which would call your lighting macro?

Outlander

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »

Well i guess I could just have the remote do it. It was sort of a program I was thinking of when I was away from the house.
Like maybe turn on and off a few different lights and maybe the tv for a hour or two. then say around 9 oclock turn everything off, not including cameras running.

Just something Im working/thinking of

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »

How about a module to supply power to the TV, then getcha a VCR Commander II, which can be controlled by AHP, to
send the IR ON/OFF signals to the TV. You could embed everything in a single, timed macro.
I just deployed the VCR Comm II to send Zoom Out signals to an old camcorder. Thought it would never be able to learn
that old remote code but it did just fine. The single macro disables four X10 cams (via their addressable power cubes),
sends the command to turn on an AM466, to which One Hitachi camcorder and One video sender are attached...the
macro then continues by sending my 'Zoom out' scam via the VCR Comm II, then finally turns on a few lights in the room
to ensure the camcorder has good lighting with which to record potential bad-guys that might be inside. And this all
works! The thing even sends me an email to advise of activity in the room so I can 'tune-in' and watch live. Oh, you ask
why a video sender on the camcorder? I do not record using the tape in the camcorder. I send its video output to X10's
video sender unit which is set to the same channel on which the receiver listens. The receiver pipes the video into a
Hauppauge 950Q adapter which talks to the WinTV application on my PC. That's what records the high-res video.
My only tiny issue is that, I think, the VCR Comm II sends a standard quick pulse of IR out. My camcorder needs
a bit longer IR transmission pulse to keep zooming out to max view. But that's not something you'll have to worry about.
mike
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »

I believe the VCR Commander and Commander-II automatically send an off after five minutes if not reset by a motion sensor or signal from AHP.

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 11:47:01 AM »

Ahhh, yes sir I believe you are correct. I recall not having to worry about that since I only record for a few minutes.
I suppose he could put some delays in the macro for the hour planned to have the TV on and making noise.
If timers aren't stable enough, he could trigger on a motion sensor during that timeframe...where the motion sensor
would be placed in a high traffic area or near a tree or bushes that are constantly moving. Yeah, I know, that might
not be stable/reliable either but... I had to move some MS14's outside to prevent moving bushes from tripping them.
AHP's flexible enough to make this work.
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.