Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your own domain name record instead of using IP address  (Read 17441 times)

jarleifv

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Your own domain name record instead of using IP address
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »

For those of us using Active Phone from outside our private network, with port forwarding configured on our routers, Dynamic DNS is a good option instead of using an IP address that may or may not change at certain intervals.

Go to this URL: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/     to sign up for your own "domain name", (FREE!)

then go here  http://cdn.dyndns.com/windows/DynUpSetup.exe   to install the DDNS client.

This will install a little program on the AHP computer the updates the domain name record with your IP address, and the IP address can change all it wants, it won't complicate your life any more!

So instead of fat-fingering http://100.200.225.250:8777/ahp and changing the IP address every time your ISP gives you a new address,  you can use something like http://bobsx10.dyndns.org:8777/ahp

I'm a Network engineer and happy to help, so if you're having issues with IP addresses, port numbers, port forwarding or anything else internet/network related, chances are I can probably help..   :)

george536

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Your own domain name record instead of using IP address
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:11:39 AM »

thanks!

too bad im still not smart enough to do it probably  B:(

screen shot by screen shot of the process sure would help though  :'

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 01:17:07 AM »

@jarleifv:
I'm a computer tech myself, and I've been using DynDNS for yeeeaaarrrrs now. I completely forgot to mention this in the other thread. Good catch.
Good point on installing the updater client as well; I do it from my router (as most support DynDNS), but the client on the computer (which would already be on anyways) would be much easier for folks to set up.

Now for screenshots...
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

jarleifv

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:29:50 AM »

I could do a step-by-step with screenshots tonight after 7pm eastern time, unless you get to it first of course.. ;)

TJH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:07 PM »

Interesting.  That is exactly what our IT Tech was trying to tell me to do and I somehow couldn't quite it all figured out.  Today at lunch, he stayed here at work on my computer and I went home to my home PC and called him.  Using teamviewer, we worked together to get my dyndns domain name set up and my router properly configured.  We still can't access the activephone screen even though we've established communication.  We're stillworking out a few bugs though. ;-(  The good news is, I can RDP my home computer from work.  Evidently, my router at home won't support VPN.

Then, I came back to work here and went on this forum to look for answers, and discovered this thread that suggested the use of Dyndns and my own domain name, the same as I just worked through - with quite a bit of help from a knowledgeable tech.

mike1

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 03:38:27 PM »

Hi,

Just installed the d-link dir655, did the port forwarding. But it seems when I'm home within range of the router I'm fine. But won't connect when I'm in a different location ? What am I missing on this routers configuration  that won't allow me to connect. Worked great when I had an old linksys router.

thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:41:24 PM by mike1 »

mike1

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »

Hi,

Did the port forwarding on the d-link dir655 access is fine at home, but nothing once I go outside, to work. Any other configuration that I'm missing.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:03:46 PM by mike1 »

jarleifv

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »

you don't need the port forwarding when you're at home, since you're in the same network as the computer, ie. no need to forward anything in through the router from the internet, well, since you're not on the internet, you're connecting from your house...

now, when you're trying to access your computer from the internet, that's when port forwarding comes into effect.

what address are you trying to access when you're away?  if it's a 192.-something, or a 10.-something, or a 172.16-something you're still trying to connect as if you're at home, not away..

go to www.whatismyip.com, that's the address you need to go to when you're not home, ie. connected to the internet.

all the port forwarding does, is send traffic to the router on a certain port, to a specified device (your computer) on your home network, bridging the gap between the real live world and your own network at your home..

make sense?
 ???

mike1

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »

thanks but before the port forwarding I couldn't connect from my smartphone at home so that resolved that issue. But now when I'm out of the house or out of range of the wireless router it just hangs up. Again must be a firewall setting in the router because with my Linksys wired router everything worked fine. The address that I'm trying to access is the one that the invite cell phone from Active home sends to my smart phone. which is in the 192 range.

Appreciate your help.

mike1

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 05:24:51 PM »

you don't need the port forwarding when you're at home, since you're in the same network as the computer, ie. no need to forward anything in through the router from the internet, well, since you're not on the internet, you're connecting from your house...

now, when you're trying to access your computer from the internet, that's when port forwarding comes into effect.

what address are you trying to access when you're away?  if it's a 192.-something, or a 10.-something, or a 172.16-something you're still trying to connect as if you're at home, not away..

go to www.whatismyip.com, that's the address you need to go to when you're not home, ie. connected to the internet.

all the port forwarding does, is send traffic to the router on a certain port, to a specified device (your computer) on your home network, bridging the gap between the real live world and your own network at your home..

make sense?
 ???

Hi jarleifv

Did whatismyip. It gave me a 67....etc number. Now when I go to activephone and invite a cell it shows a 192.168 number which is that particular computer, so I gather I would have to edit the IP address on my smartphone to the 67 number and should work ?

thanks,

Edited by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) to separate response from quote.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:08:23 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 12:04:21 AM »

@mike1:
Correct. The 67 number is the "public to the world" IP address that goes to your modem at home.
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.