Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Version 3.301 Out standing Bugs! +?  (Read 10321 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Version 3.301 Out standing Bugs! +?
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »

With the newest update to AHP I had hoped a long standing bug would have been fixed.
NOT!
This bug was first discovered by Puck using AHP to trigger sounds events from X10WavPlayer (Now PcCompanion)
On: April 07, 2008, 12:58:07 PM
I started a Topic: Problem with Batch files executing?  (Read 18077 times)    to address this issue.
To Date we still have to use the work around posted about in that thread!  B:(
I hope this is the only outstanding bug I find in this release. ::) :'
But with all the new phone app plug-ins I no longer have all plug-ins.
I'm sure others can add Bugs found to this thread.
 >!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:50:29 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Version 3.301 Out standing Bugs!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »

I would like to see every bug fixed, too, but I think we need to give the developers at least some credit.
They may not have gotten every bug out yet, but they did turn around quite quickly on some of them, and release fixes, especially with new bugs introduced by some of the newer features and plugins.

The way I understand it (from my many conversations with the development team over the past few months), it seems that most (if not ALL) of the developers are relatively new to X10, and the team that originally wrote AHP is no longer there.
This new team has the huge task of going through what was left for them, most of it poorly documented, to figure it all out. They are bound to make mistakes. There are probably some of here who know more about certain parts of the program than some of them do. That comes with experience, and day-in-day-out working with it.

I think it would certainly help if there were some sort of "Bug Tracker," where users could post bugs they find, and others could add information about their symptoms, workarounds, clues (how to re-create it, what might be causing it).
The Developers could then post some sort of status update (Identified/In Progress/Testing/Fixed), and the users would be able to report back if they still have the problem.

At the same time, a parallel "Suggestion Tracker" might be helpful, especially for those "can you add this option" of "Change this wording to make it clearer" type of requests.

I don't know if these forums are the best place for a bug tracker, since someone would need to maintain the list, and make sure that duplicate reports of the same bug get consolidated, etc.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »

I would like to see every bug fixed, too, but I think we need to give the developers at least some credit.
True, the new team is doing a great job I only hope they stick around longer then the others did.
I think it would certainly help if there were some sort of "Bug Tracker," where users could post bugs they find, and others could add information about their symptoms, workarounds, clues (how to re-create it, what might be causing it).
The Developers could then post some sort of status update (Identified/In Progress/Testing/Fixed), and the users would be able to report back if they still have the problem.
It is the reason I try to start a sticky for each new release so All bugs get placed in one thread.
However many users fail to read what is already posted!
And things get posted multiple times!
Each new release should have a thread like this one so any bugs still not addressed need to be put to the top of the list for the next update.
True some Bugs will superseed old ones like this latest build addressed.
I do believe that this latest batch of Programmers X10 has will get most of the bugs out (hopefully all) ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Version 3.301 Out standing Bugs! +?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:56:37 AM »

A bug tracker would be nice.
3.301 still does not send any dim commands when used with a CM19A.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47:44 PM »

It is the reason I try to start a sticky for each new release so All bugs get placed in one thread.

That only helps if everyone reads every post, including those for older revisions where a bug may have been introduced.

ErikP

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »

I am still looking into this bug.  The bad news is, so far it works fine on my test systems.  I made a macro to call a test batch file, and it is successfully called so far no matter how many times I save my ahx files and restart ActiveHome PRO.  Calling a batch file from a macro after saving and restarting ActiveHome PRO is the bug you are seeing correct?

Have you tried testing this with a new macro?  If the bug was in the code to save the macro information, then the bug would persist in your ahx save file even if it was fixed in ActiveHome PRO.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »

I don't have any macros calling batch files, so I haven't experienced this myself. However, I wonder if the problem might be dependent on the file path to the macro (might non-alpha characters be an issue with saving?), or if there are multiple macros calling batch files, etc.

Is there a way to look at the AHX file itself (outside of AHP), and see the command that is calling the batch file, and where it thinks that file is?
Maybe there is something with the length of the path or something?

Just throwing out ideas here.

ErikP

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »

Note: I don't recommend you mess with any of this unless you are an advanced user.  I know Noam and Tuicemen qualify for this, but just a warning for anyone else watching this thread :)

The ahx file is just your ActiveHome PRO setup written as XML.  Any text browser should be able to view the data in it.  Also the same restrictions special characters as normal XML apply to the file paths.  The code which reads and writes the XML should perform automatic conversion of protected characters to their safe format.  "&" to "&" for example.

The macros are contained in \xml\ahp\macros as <macro> elements.  Each macro element contains some number of <el> elements which represent the individual commands of the macro.  Without getting into too much detail, this is the run batch file command from my macro...
Code: [Select]
<el cmd="19" cmdval="1" cmdtype="1" data="16" transmit="0" level="0" area="9" target="-1" uelem="101" reqpc="1" />The file path is uelem="101".  This means the file path is stored in the user data as entry #101.  User data is stored in \xml\ahp\userdata.  Here is my batch file batch user data element.
Code: [Select]
<el id="101" usage="Location" t="C:\Test.cmd" />
XML is given using XPath notation.  See http://www.w3schools.com/xpath if you need help understanding my XML paths.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 05:26:02 PM »

I believe the bug is; if you have a batch file in any folder OTHER than AHP then when you save  and exit and then reopen AHP, AHP will only see the batch files in the AHP folder.  Don't quote me on this but I think that is what is happening.  In other words, it shouldn't matter where the batch files are AHP should fire them.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

Man the forum is slow tonight!
All exe commands now work ! i had to rebuild the macros.
I think Ive found the issue with Batch files.
You need to have the full path "CD.. " doesn't work if the file is a subfolder of the root folder for the exe.
I haven't tested to see if just the command would work if the batch file is in the same folder.

The Good New They Now Work!
Just not like they should!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
Re: Version 3.301 Out standing Bugs! or new ones?
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »

Found a couple more!
    • Installing a new plugin or old one stops AHP from working reinstalling AHP fixes.
    • Not sure if this one was apparent in last version but Va12a only works with AHP can't even utilize it with windows movie maker.
      Windows sees the device but I only get a black screen.
    • AHP still sends multiple M 1socialite (security address) from security module tripps & resets  this is viewable with the SDK only if AHP is Running
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:10:59 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.