Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XTB-IIR cause interference with sensitive equipment?  (Read 10407 times)

Crusty

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XTB-IIR cause interference with sensitive equipment?
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »

Considering Jeff's XTB-IIR to fix increasing problems with X10 signals, particularly from Stargate to lamp modules during Christmas.  We have a fair bit of pro audio and video equipment for when we work at home.  Is anyone aware of the higher voltage or anything else with the XTB-IIR causing problems for equipment like this?  Some of our equipment is behind a voltage regulated EPS, but not all.  The rest are just on surge suppressors (not sure if these would filter out any problems or not).

Thanks,
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:13:53 PM by Crusty »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: XTB-IIR cause interference with sensitive equipment?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »

I'm not speaking for Jeff or specifically about the XTBIIR repeater.

But the answer is No.
A X10 signal repeater/coupler does not raise voltage. It only amplifies a 120KHz pulse occurring at the zero cross point of the 120V AC sine wave. To any electronic equipment this pulse appears to be nothing more than typical, low level, electrical noise on the line. Since all electronic equipment operates on DC internally, the pulse is automatically filtered out as the 120V AC is converted to lower voltage DC internally by the equipments power supply. It's inconsequential.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:59:10 PM »

In my house we have some high end audio equipment on a power line conditioner, and not even the XTB-IIR was able to over come it. Definitely use x10 filters on all your computer and A/V equipment. This will prevent x10 signals from coming and going on the connected device(s)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:00:48 PM by Brandt »

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »

I believe I answered an email from this fellow directly.

The XTB-IIR transmits a very powerful 120KHz signal.  The fundamental and any harmonics are well above the audio range.  And as Dave W said, the 120KHz signal should be filtered out by the power supply in the audio equipment.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Crusty

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Jeff did provide a good detailed reply as well.

Two more questions:

I have no breaker space on the sub panel in my mech room where Stargate is.  I was planning to piggyback on breakers for a couple of PCS LM4's but Jeff correctly pointed out that the XTB-IIR s/b on a 2-pole breaker.  Ain't gonna happen on this sub panel.  I have a 2-pole in my main panel but it is a good 70' run away from mech room.  Best to put the XTB-IIR nearer stargate with 70' of romex to the main panel, or put it next to the main panel and try to drive the X10 signal from Stargate 70' to the XTB-IIR?

Short-term, until I have time to do the above or similar, if I stick a standard AC cord on it for single phase in place of my TW523, will it help signals on the other phase (via a Leviton HCA02 phase coupler) or will the other phase still be getting the same signal as currently?

Thanks,

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »

Or you could stick a dryer plug on it

Crusty

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »

Well, hopefully solved that problem.  Just because the panel is full of breakers doesn't mean they're all used.  Opened her up and 2 breakers don't have anything on them and they're only 1 breaker apart so easy enough to move one occupied breaker and stick in a 2-pole.

Thanks all!

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:52:56 PM »

I guess the problem was solved while I was typing.  But here is my answer in case anyone else has the same question:

You have several options to deal with the lack of breaker space.

First, to avoid the possibility of command ping-pong you should not use the XTB-IIR with another repeater.  So, simply replace the HCA02 with the XTB-IIR.  (The XTB-IIR does have a mode option to break the ping-pong loop if for some reason you want both in the circuit.)

Some panels accept skinny breakers that allow twice as many circuits in the same space.  There are also quad breakers that use the space of two standard breakers, but provide two independent 120V circuits and a 240V circuit.  That is what I used here.

Or, you can swap two adjacent full size breakers for a 240V breaker, and then add a junction box external to the panel for the XTB-IIR before those two circuits branch off independently.  Most kitchens today have at least two circuits, so that is a candidate for running through a shared breaker.

You can certainly run the XTB-IIR off just a single phase, but you would have to install a good passive coupler at the panel to propagate its strong signal over to the opposite phase.  So, you would have to replace the HCA02 with something like the X10 XPCP.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.