Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cam vs receiver for upgrade of antenna  (Read 4693 times)

erniejt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Cam vs receiver for upgrade of antenna
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:11:31 AM »

Hi all,
I've seen a few articles dealing with replacing the antenna on the cam or receiver in order to improve performance. I believe most articles refered to replacing the antenna on the camera, but I was wondering if it makes a differance whether it's the camera or the receiver getting a better antenna.
Also, does an improved antenna help fight interference or does it just amplify that with the signal?
Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Cam vs receiver for upgrade of antenna
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:17:23 AM »

I am sure you will get varied answers.

The antennas on both the cameras and receiver are directional. So if you had cameras in two different directions from the receiver. One maybe received poorly. In that case the receiver maybe the best one to do.

Also only one camera can be on at a time and are switched by addressable power supplies. Common House Code and Unit Codes in groups of four. 1-4;5-8;9-12 or 13-16. Turn one on the other three go off. If you had more than four. Then you need software or the remote that can do more than four cameras.
So sometimes power line communications have to considered.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Cam vs receiver for upgrade of antenna
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:51:51 AM »

but I was wondering if it makes a differance whether it's the camera or the receiver getting a better antenna.
Also, does an improved antenna help fight interference or does it just amplify that with the signal?

I agree with Brian, I would try the receiver first.

Switching to an Omni (receives or transmits in all directions) antenna will not have any effect on in-band (2.4GHz) interference. The Omni really does not produce any gain when compared to the gain of directional antenna. Actually the directional paddle antenna would probably have higher "gain" BUT in specific directions. And if that direction is not in line between the transmitting and receiving antennas is when the "gain" of the directional antenna is useless. Why X10 put directional antennas on a camera mounted to a P&T unit is a mystery to me. Probably the initial camera design was set before Ninja was a thought.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.