Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multiple computers not seeing CM15A  (Read 8148 times)

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
Multiple computers not seeing CM15A
« on: December 09, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »

Just got my AHP CM15A yesterday. I already had the software installed. So I plugged in the cm15a and got the new hardware found and then a message saying my new device was installed and ready. So I opened AHP which was already installed and registered. The setup wizard started and found the cm15a.

That's when the problem started. I clicked next on the wizard, installed the lamp module on A1, tried to turn the light on and got an error message that AHP could not download to the module. Closed and reopened AHP, tried again and got the same message. So I figured I would uninstall AHP, reboot and reinstall.

This time I never got the message about finding new hardware and it was not listed in devices. So I tried it on a different computer. The first pc is Vista 32-bit. The next computer is Windows 7 32-bit. It never found the cm15a. I tried a different cable and usb port on the pc. Still never found it.

I went back to the vista box, tried a new cable, different port, different outlet, with and without batteries and it finally found the cm15a again. Started AHP and tried the wizard again. Got the same error about downloading to the cm15a. I canceled the wizard and just tried installing my security module. Yes, I have onalert. I added the console, got the message to add the remote. I added the remote and pressed a button. Instantly got the error communicating with the cm15a. In fact, I get it every time I tried to operate a module.

All this time I had the icon in the status bar showing it was downloading. I left it in this state over night and it was still downloading this morning. So I unplugged the cm15a and got a message that download was complete. Plugged it back in, the no device icon went away, tried to download the modules and timers and the downloading icon just ran and ran for the next hour while I got ready for work.

So I took the cm15a to work with me to try it on another pc. I can't get any pc at work to see the damn thing.

So you all think I've done enough? Anything else I can try? Or should I just call support and get an RMA for an exchange?

lviper

• PI Expert
Re: Multiple computers not seeing CM15A
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:02:02 PM »

By the way, this is such a wonderful error message I get.

Error:
An error has occurred while communicating with your ActiveHome USB Interface. To make sure that your timers and macros continue to run, click OK to download your settings to the interface.

Well, how the heck can it download the settings if it can't talk to the thing?

Anyway, at the moment the computer is recognizing the interface but nothing will download. That is the error I get continually while the interface is connected. And the downloading icon just sits there doing it's thing. But if I unplug the interface I see the progress bar appear and jump to about 90% and get a message that everything downloaded. But it didn't since I disconnected it.

I think I'm convinced I have a bad cm15a. Guess I'm hoping for something else so I don't have to wait another week to send it back and yet another week for a replacement to be sent.

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »

Close AHP.
Disconnect 'everything' on ALL USB buses except for the CM15A.
Disconnect any/all USB multi-port hubs.
Of course, leave the mouse and kbd connected.
Connect the CM15A directly to a USB port on the PC.
Stop and start the X10 service (services control panel/mmc).
Restart AHP.
Try the download again.
what happens?
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »

Try restarting the PC with the CM15A pluged in.
Then start AHP once windows has loaded.
Try clearing the interface first!
I know there shouldn't be anything on it! ::) :'
Purge delayed macros. Again, there shouldn't be any thing on it!
Then clear the interface again.
Now try to download to the cm15a.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »

Close AHP.
Disconnect 'everything' on ALL USB buses except for the CM15A.
Disconnect any/all USB multi-port hubs.
Of course, leave the mouse and kbd connected.
Connect the CM15A directly to a USB port on the PC.
Stop and start the X10 service (services control panel/mmc).
Restart AHP.
Try the download again.
what happens?

Thanks for replying troll

Did all that and still have the same problem. I even added a reboot just to be sure. The only things plugged in USB are the cm15a and the wireless dongle for my keyboard and mouse.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »

Try restarting the PC with the CM15A pluged in.
Then start AHP once windows has loaded.
Try clearing the interface first!
I know there shouldn't be anything on it! ::) :'
Purge delayed macros. Again, there shouldn't be any thing on it!
Then clear the interface again.
Now try to download to the cm15a.
 >!

Just tried this but I did a shutdown to make sure all memory was cleared.

As soon as I opened AHP I got the communication error message and the downloading icon was doing its thing. Tried clearing, purging and clearing but the error kept popping up every minute or so. Never do I see the progress bar until I disconnect the cm15a.

I've also tried different usb ports on both the front and back of the pc. All give the same bad results.

troll334

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 01:45:58 PM »

Sure does sound like a bad X10 driver or a bad CM15A. Know you don't wanna hear that but...
You might consider trying a different version of the X10 driver. I recently allowed Windows Update to poke in the
latest driver it found and I got grief. I rolled it back to get going again.
I'm on Vista X64. The version of X10nets.exe I'm running with appears to be 1.0.0.1 and is dated 11/12/2001.
I'm using AHP 3.236 (09/03/2008) and have all plug-ins.
Just thought of something else...
It's interesting that you unplug the CM15A and AHP starts/thinks it's downloading. Could it be a simple as a bad USB
connection to the CM15? Try a different cable if you've got one. As well, fully seat the USB connector into the CM15
then pull back on it slightly. Might be an intermittent connection. Heck, I'd p### on a sparkplug if I thought it would
help :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:00:02 PM by troll334 »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 02:02:27 PM »

There is no newer version of X10nets.exe.  I'm running 3.271 as a fresh install and my version is also 11/12/2001.  I suspect X10 has never updated it since AHP was first released.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

troll334

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 02:20:50 PM »

Thanks Dan. Sorry. I should have done the research.
It's the USB driver (x10ufx2.sys) that Windows updated and I had to roll back.
The file version I'm using now is 6.0.0.238. Didn't check the driver version that Windows Update plugged in but, suffice
it to say, it gave me trouble; so I rolled it back.
sorry guys

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »

Well, I was going to look at what driver version I had loaded but I'm back to the cm15a not being recognized when plugged in. During all the last testing I did, I was plugging and unplugging the thing several times and device manager always showed it. Now I'm back to nothing.

I've tried 5 different cables and every usb port on the computer. I quit. Guess I'll wait for support to send me my rma.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »

Ok, I know I said I quit, but got it to see it again.

Driver version 6.0.0.242
Date 5/19/09
File Version 6.0.0.238

troll334

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 03:35:56 PM »

So, you've tried several computers. Different flavors of Windows. Different hardware. Different cables.
I'm drawing a blank now. It's gotta be the CM15A. I'd hate to have you wait on a replacement only to get the
same results...but I can't think of anything else.
How 'bout UAC - a long shot but turn it off if it's not already; did I say a long shot :)
Can't imagine anti-virus packages being involved.
Hey, connect the thing. Launch a DOS prompt and get to:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\X10\Common
run
ahcmd sendplc A1 On
Oh, make sure the X10 device sitting on HC/UC A1 is good-2-go first.
See what happens.
An afterthought:
check your DEP (data execution prevention) settings in Windows. maybe...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:38:06 PM by troll334 »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »

As to x10ufx2.sys, mine has a file version of 3.0.0.187.   That was on a fresh install of AHP after a FULL uninstall of AHP and ALL folders it created so my install of AHP 3.271 was 100% pure.

Try that, a full uninstall and deletion of ALL folders AHP created. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 09:11:16 PM »

No luck.
UAC already off
Anti Virus off

Nothing from the DOS prompt

Already tried the full uninstall but my version is the newest version since I just bought it and that's all what is available for download.

The only thing I haven't tried is a plain XP pro computer. Too late tonight so maybe I'll try that tomorrow. I have a few freshly install XP pro computers at work I can try.

ErikP

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »

There is no newer version of X10nets.exe.  I'm running 3.271 as a fresh install and my version is also 11/12/2001.  I suspect X10 has never updated it since AHP was first released.

X10nets.exe is just a launcher for x10net.dll.  The launcher itself does very little, so has never needed to be updated.  The version and date of x10net.dll are the important value when checking this part of the driver.

The CM15A should at least appear in the device manager as an unrecognized device.  If it does not even show up as that, then this points a problem in the generic USB enumeration before the driver has a chance to affect anything.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.