Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Installing Active X Control Crashes IE8  (Read 101205 times)

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
Installing Active X Control Crashes IE8
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »

WHile I wait for a replacement cm15a I was playing with the MyHouse Online plugin. I tried to remotely connect but when the active x control loads my IE8 crashes. I tried this on both a vista 32 and win 7 64 system. I also tried the suggestion of running IE as admin and adding the site to trusted sites. That didn't help.

I did get it to work using xp-mode on my win 7 system so I don't think it's a firewall, anti spyware/virus issue, but I could be wrong. Anyone else having a problem getting it to work in IE8 on vista or win 7?

ErikP

Re: Installing Active X Control Crashes IE8
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »

The ActiveX client installed fine during testing on Vista both on x64 and x86.

What other software do you have installed?  There is a known issue after the X10 Net Service was upgraded to the latest run time libraries.  Your ActiveX object needs to be based on the same run time libraries, as your currently installed services, or it will crash.  The cab file which installs the ActiveX object if no client is previously installed on your system is now based on the latest runtimes.  Installing an older version of ActiveHome PRO will install the ActiveX client for that release, and the webpage will use that client rather than installing the one from the cab file.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »

I do have the latest AHP installed on both computers. I can remove it from the Win 7 pc since I only installed it to test my know known bad cm15a. I'll try that.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »

Just wanted to followup. I removed AHP from the Win7x64 PC and now the active X installed and works fine with IE8.

danmanx10

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:24:58 AM »

I'm having the same problem. Running XP-SP3 w/ IE8 on my laptop. I can't have AHP installed AND download/install the MyHouse plug-in from myhouse.x10.com - IE crashes every time. Uninstall AHP and the plug-in works fine. Reinstall AHP and IE crashes again. What is the correct sequence of events to get AHP and the plug-in to function correctly on the same machine?

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 08:57:24 AM »

Honestly I didn't care about the activeX control working on the same PC that I have AHP installed on. The myhouse plugin is actually for remote computers to access AHP. So why would I want to access AHP through the internet from a computer that was already running AHP.

On the other hand, I guess if you only have one PC at home, then installing it on the same PC would be a way to test it. Maybe you have a laptop also to test it with? Or maybe a friend who can test it for you?

danmanx10

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 09:49:26 PM »

lviper:

I have the capability to test this with another computer. Question is: is this a requirement? Seems to me, form an earlier post that there is/was a known issue with AHP vs. plugin version compatibility. Like you, I have the latest version of each (as far as I know) and still get the IE8 crash. Looks like a bug to me - unexpected behavior. If not, if you can't have both AHP and the plugin functional on the same PC, this should be documented by X10.

I appreciate your post - always saves a lot of time to find someone who has experienced the same problem and has taken the time to share w/ the rest of us.

cheers

cary

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:57:41 AM »

I experienced a similar problem beginning about the middle of January. The difference in my case is that it doesn't matter whether I have AHP loaded on the computer(s) or not.

My primary MyHouse computer is running XP (SP3). IE8 has been loaded since the latter part of 2010. AHP has also been loaded on that machine. Beginning around the middle of January I suddenly could no longer connect to an AHP system located on another computer at a remote site. I received notification that the Windows 'Data Execution Prevention' function was preventing execution of my request.
After about a week of exclusively using the iWatch and other remote apps with my smartphone I began checking more into my computer. When checking the add-ons for IE8 I saw that the x10 add on (antx) version 3.0.0.305 had been updated on January 19, 2011 about when I began experiencing the problem.

Today after I read thru this post I tried removing AHP from my computer, rebooted and attempted to connect again. No luck. I also removed and reinstalled the add-on. Again no luck.

I then tried on another computer which has never had AHP installed. It is a XP (SP3) running IE8. I experience the same problem with the Windows DEP preventing execution of MyHouse.

Perhaps I've missed something on other posts. I will continue searching the forum.

Thanks for any guidance or tips anyone might have!

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:29:42 PM »

Cary,
If memory serves, you can turn DEP off or, if you like, add custom app entries so DEP 'allows' execution.
Check into that when you get a moment.
Next, and extreme, you might consider whacking IE8 and rolling back to IE7. We run enterprise-class software
at work...the vendor of that software indicated NO compatibility with IE8 until mid 2011 so we told our end-user
community NOT to upgrade. Well, they did  B:(
So our only solution was to remove IE8 completely (which included douching the registry) and re-installing IE7.
This got rid of the plug-ins and extensions as well; a good thing in our case.
I believe MS still makes the IE7 installer available to download. It's small but when it kicks off, it starts downloading
the full installation media.
Just an idea...
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

cary

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 01:55:27 PM »

Thanks Troll334 - I'd previously played some with the DEP settings and just broadened the set of programs supposedly not covered by DEP. That did not do the trick.

I'll pursue your suggestion on falling back to IE7 a bit later.

I appreciate your quick response!

ErikP

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »

Are you using the 305 or later build of AHP?  The software on the web servers was updated in mid January, and an update to AHP was rolled out at the same time to fix incompatibility issues between the latest releases of AHP and the files downloaded by the web.  Unfortunately, this does now mean that the web version is compatible with the new AHP but not the old AHP builds.

cary

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »

Thanks EricP
The computer running my automation system has version 3.2.9.0 AHP.
Remote computers attempting to access my AHP system with MyHouse Online do not currently have AHP loaded. (One of the remote computers previously had AHP loaded but that was uninstalled).

Perhaps I should simply update all of my automation system files files to the most recent versions even though I'm at a level greater than 3.0.5?

delibaker

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »

Being trying to use the MyHouse plugin since last October and had given up as a waste of money, then just saw this reply and thought what the heck, I'll give it one more try.  HOLY CRAP!! the activex control finally downloaded and installed into IE8 and I have the remote client :)% .  But wait, will AHP connect to MyHouse???  Again to my surprise AHP connected to MyHouse Service on first try and waiting for remote useres!!!  Held my breath and tried the remote connection and once again I was floored, connection succeeded and I could see my layout  >!

But that's where the joy in Mudville ended!!  The layout showed all the correct module names in each room but the graphics for all the older LM465 non soft start modules only have the name and the status light - no address, no on/off switch, no brightness level slider.  The LM15A Socket Rockets showed properly and I was able to control them as well as 1 XC19A camera.  The appliance modules AM486 showed correctly as well as my DS7000 security modules, but before I could try them out I lost connection and have not been able to reconnect again- DAMN!!!

Will keep trying and see what happens,

HTH,

DeliBaker

Forgot to mention that both AHP and IE8 are being tested on the same computer running XP SP3

AHP 3.305 plus all plugins except MyGarage
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:46:28 PM by delibaker »

ErikP

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »

The computer running my automation system has version 3.2.9.0 AHP.
Remote computers attempting to access my AHP system with MyHouse Online do not currently have AHP loaded. (One of the remote computers previously had AHP loaded but that was uninstalled).

Perhaps I should simply update all of my automation system files files to the most recent versions even though I'm at a level greater than 3.0.5?

Sounds like you already figured this out, but 305 is just the build number portion of the version number, and for the foreseeable future the only number likely to change.  I believe if you look at it in the window where u got 3.2.9.0 it will show up as 3.3.0.5, so this is a more recent version.

The layout showed all the correct module names in each room but the graphics for all the older LM465 non soft start modules only have the name and the status light - no address, no on/off switch, no brightness level slider.
Soon as I get some time away from my current project I will see if I can reproduce this on the test systems here.

cary

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:08:58 PM »

Thanks ErikP,
Hopefully I can upgrade my AHP system soon and give it a shot. I'm not clear as to why the upgrade on my automation system (computer 1) would affect the operation on my remote MyHouse Online (computer 2). These computers have to negotiate with x10 servers and such so in that regard I see them as independent. I guess there could be some interworking. . .
Thanks again for your insights.

Delibaker
Yours is an odd situation which I haven't experienced. Sounds like you are on the cusp of success. Hopefully ErikP can replicate and help you out. I've had MyHouse Online working well with my remote AHP system for five or more years . . . until my latest hiccup! All along I have been able to access my AHP system with my smartphone and the mobile app plug ins.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.