Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vanguard with Multiple Cameras only showing one camera  (Read 7088 times)

blades87

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Vanguard with Multiple Cameras only showing one camera
« on: December 25, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »

Took a look through the threads and could't find any information pertaining to this issue, other that one post stating that I should run multiple receivers, which seems to contradict the functional benefits of the X10 system.

Running Windows 7 Pro and Vanguard 3.285, three XX20A cameras, VA12A USB adapter, TM751 transmitter, VR36A and CM19A transceiver

I have all  base station transmit channels set to C and I have the cameras set for frequencies A2, A3 and A4.

Vanguard will only ever display the video from one camera, regardless of the fact that I have three cameras running.  If I disconnect the power from one camera or block the RF signal, the video stream switches to another active camera, but never allows me to display the video from each source.  I have had it only work once where the system showed all three cameras.

Got to admit that the setup instructions and knowledge base for this product line is lacking in content.  I have been working on this system for six hours, fixing everything from rundll32 crashes to camera display issues and have to dig through websites to fix these issues.

ANy assistance would be greatly appreciated.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Vanguard with Multiple Cameras only showing one camera
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »

If you have only one wireless receiver, then you can receive video from ONLY one wireless camera at a time.  When you switch to a different camera, i.e. switching from A1 to A3, cameras A1, A2, and A4 are sent OFF signals over the powerline to the addressable camera power supplies. Thats the way it is.

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/cr12a-is.pdf
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/cr13a-is.pdf

Although not for the Vangard computer control system, these instructions explain how the X10 multiple wireless camera systems work.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 04:24:05 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »

Not to hijack this thread, but being new to X10, I'm interested. Is the only way to watch multiple cameras at the same time is to use a video receiver for each camera? So if I have 4 cameras and want to watch all 4 at the same time I need 4 receivers?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 11:28:25 AM »

Not to hijack this thread, but being new to X10, I'm interested. Is the only way to watch multiple cameras at the same time is to use a video receiver for each camera? So if I have 4 cameras and want to watch all 4 at the same time I need 4 receivers?
Yes, that is correct IF you are using wireless cameras. The receiver can only receive on one frequency at a time, and this is user set by a "Channel A, B, C, D" switch on the receiver. ALL cameras must be set to the same channel for the (single) receiver to pick them up. In any radio system, more than one transmitter transmitting on the same frequency, results in massive interference. Which is why the X10 instructions explains: when you select one camera, the other three are switched OFF.

The only way to have 2, 3, or 4 wireless cameras on at the same time is to dedicate a receiver, and a channel, to each camera.  Otherwise you have to use wired cameras with a multiple input video card in the computer or a "Quad Processor" if coupling directly to a video monitor.

If you scrutinize the X10 wireless camera ads you will note, nowhere do they claim you can receive multiple live images. They dance around it by showing four images on the Vangard screen, but three of those images are stored static images, after the camera is switched off.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »

I believe you would also need at least a video multiplexer to see all four cameras even with four wireless receivers.
Has anyone verified that one camera on A;B;C and D are OK with out bleeding into each other?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »

I know some poster on the forum is using two receivers, but not four. I was using four only as an example to explain the system, but think you are right in wondering if four cameras and four receivers all in operation at once, would not have their own interference issues. I bet they would.

blades87

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 07:26:05 PM »

Yeah, that certainly poses a quandary.  The X10 system was recommended to some friends and they bought it.  I was trying to help them set it up while visiting, so I had no part in evaluating the viability of the technology.  Funny thing that X10 doesn't multiplex its signals so that multiple cameras can transmit into one receiver.  Oh well.  My friend will have to figure out what to do with the system.

Thanks for the help, Dave.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »

Funny thing that X10 doesn't multiplex its signals so that multiple cameras can transmit into one receiver.  Oh well.  My friend will have to figure out what to do with the system.
The camera video is all analog, so multiplexing within a 2.4GHz main carrier frequency would require some sophistication in both transmitters and receiver. And I seriously doubt X10 would try and get type acceptance in the 5.8GHz band. That just ain't in the X10 business model which is KIS - KIC (keep it simple - keep it cheap).

If your friend absolutely needs four live feeds, a solution might be to convert the cameras to wired and use a quad processor or four input video board on the computer. There are postings on converting X10 wireless cams to wired on this forum.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.