Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: USB Ethernet Extender for CM15a  (Read 14683 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: USB Ethernet Extender for CM15a
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »

Some have also made the antenna in this article.
http://www.cocoontech.com/portal/articles/tutorials/home-automation/10-how-to-improve-your-x-10-rf-reception

Preamp from your last post:
http://www.tentec.com/index.php?id=59
Since this is an untuned wide band preamp. I am not too sure how it may also send close noise frequencies into the CM15A and how it may effect it. Though $11.00 isn't a large price to test it with.  ;) Even if you added the enclosure it is reasonable.

FYI. The CM15A schematic {from the FCC Database Web Site} indicates the receiver antenna is a total of 240mm. Made in China you get mm dimensions.  ;D About 9.449"

Measured the antenna I removed from my CM15A when I added the F connector. 4 3/4" from tip to the 90 degree elbow.
My early Date Code 04J41 unit had the remaining receiver antenna wire in a messy ball inside the case. A later Date Code had the remaining wire glued around the inside of the case.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:16:30 PM by Brian H »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 12:26:40 AM »

My apologies for reviving an old thread but the topic seems to come up rather often.

The eggbeater article cited was copied from my web page (without attribution). I've tested it with a wideband preamp and you can get reliable range of 300'+. There is absolutely no problem with the preamp amplifying noise, at least not with any X-10 receiver I've tested with (CM17A, MR26A) nor with several other superregenerative receivers. I did have a problem using a preamp with a wideband RF receiver made in China - but I think it was just a matter of the increased signal strength  overwhelming it - it did fine with just an eggbeater. I have even tested briefly using three preamps cascaded between antenna and one of the WenShing type receivers (see...http://davehouston.org/modules.htm)

I've seen several references to a turnstile antenna. Most of these were also based on a article on my page that I took down a few years ago because the eggbeater is much easier to construct and gives much better results. The same goes for the ground-plane antennas others have referenced. At one time I had an article on a Lindenblad which worked better than the turnstile or ground-plane but, again, was both more difficult to construct and less efficient than the eggbeater.

The eggbeater can be made using insulated, solid copper wire (e.g. 14AWG) and the circular shape is not critical. I constructed one using 14AWG with rectangular elements that, while not as efficient as the circular, copper-clad steel version, was still very good. One user reported that he used 75-ohm coax for the phasing line (instead of the 93-ohm recommended) without any problem. 
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »

The eggbeater article cited was copied from my web page (without attribution).

Dave, that file came from you back when you had me sell off the remainder of your BX24-AHT PCBs on eBay.  It was originally hosted on Worldnet, but I ported everthing over to Bluehost when AT&T discontinued personal web pages.  I will remove it if you want.

I believe I always have said it is your design whenever I posted a link to your eggbeater antenna.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 02:02:08 PM »

Dave, that file came from you back when you had me sell off the remainder of your BX24-AHT PCBs on eBay.  It was originally hosted on Worldnet, but I ported everthing over to Bluehost when AT&T discontinued personal web pages.  I will remove it if you want.
Jeff,

That's OK. I just don't remember making it into a PDF file. If I did that, I should have put a link to my web site in the PDF.

I wasn't upset by your offering it. The lack of attribution just makes it a bit harder to establish my bona fides when responding to questions about it. I don't particularly like beating my own drum although I frequently >*< If I can find some time, maybe I'll just write another article giving the history from turnstile to Lindenblad to eggbeater
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:41:38 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 03:58:47 PM »

So I was looking in to some usb over ethernet extenders. Can anyone recommend one? I've seen them priced as low as $9 and as high as $75 so I was wondering what people here use.

I reluctantly bought a $10 usb over ethernet extender on ebay fearing it would not work but it works great with my CM15A.
It's a "Monoprice" brand. Can't remember the seller.

Monoprice themselves sells these for about $13.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »

I had horrible luck with USB-over-CAT5 extenders. I tried several, two of which were VERY expensive high-end ones. None of them could maintain a constant connection, but kept resetting any time there was any sort of electrical noise in the house. No amount of shielding or filters helped.
But that was just my experience. Others have reported no problems, but they may have shorter runs, and/or are not keeping the PC on 24/7 with live apps.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »

The eggbeater article cited was copied from my web page (without attribution).

Dave, that file came from you back when you had me sell off the remainder of your BX24-AHT PCBs on eBay.
Jeff,

I have updated the file with a brief background about the turnstile and Lindenblad antennas and with a link, for the benefit of those temped to try to mod the antenna on the RR501 or TM751, to an article about how little current is required to cause ventricular fibrillation. It's now a PDF file on my web page. I'd appreciate it if you would replace the older one on your website with this one.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 01:53:49 PM »

I'd appreciate it if you would replace the older one on your website with this one.
http://davehouston.org/eggbeater.pdf

Done.

FYI:  The original PDF came from your eggbeater1.zip file dated 2/2/2006.  That is not on my website.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »

That's too far back for my ancient brain to recall. I lost a network drive about 8-9 months back which had my notes and data from things like this so I'm forced to rely on memory which isn't what I remember it was. :'(
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.