Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to make AHP start with Computer startup  (Read 4667 times)

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
How to make AHP start with Computer startup
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:42:01 AM »

In the event of a power failure, how could I make AHP start when my computer powers back up?

I have a remote program which I believe I can use to accomplish this, but I'd like for everything to restart automatically in the event I'm unable to access remotely.

I'm also running BVC and X10 Commander which would need to start as well.

Thanks in advance.  I'm no computer whiz, but I can follow directions.

anthonylavado

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
  • At a position relative to the observer.
    • anthonylavado.com
Re: How to make AHP start with Computer startup
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:45:51 AM »

Windows XP:
- Go to the Start Menu
- Go to "All Programs"
- Look for "Startup"
- Right click on "Startup" and select "Explore All Users"

Create shortcuts for the desired programs in this folder.

Windows Vista/7:
Same steps, but you'll have to disable User Account Control to have it run automatically without issue. Do so only when you understand any potential security risks. An example - it will no longer prompt you to approve program installations/updates or other important settings changes (anything that should require approval).

:)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:57:36 AM by anthonylavado »
Follow me on Twitter: @anthonylavado
Now making guest appearances in the Home Automation Chat Room

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »

This will only work if the PC logs in automatically after it reboots. If you need to log in, then these won't work.
There are solutions out there to do an automatic logon for you. You should be able to find the one for your OS using your favorite search engine.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:50:16 PM »

On my AHP PC with XP, I have added AHP and BVC to start up. Then  I use Powertools for windows/UI to automatically start both programs after power restore/reboot. Works every time. It should work with Windoe 7 as well.

IPS

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »

Just a little additional info.
Powertools for windows/tweek/UI.
In tweek check auto log on and that should restart after power restor/reboot, AHP or any other program that you have linked to startup

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »

Do you really want AHP to start when the PC boots?  Once everything is uploaded to the CM15A, timers and most macros run as scheduled.  The only macros that aren't uploaded are those that are run from the PC.   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:53:26 PM »

Dan Lawrence
If you used some of the plug-ins you would see the need to have AHP start up when Windows does.
Now I realize you may think you don't need them. But many users here use them and without AHP running macros created for them it would/could mean disaster!
True most time you don't need AHP running but if your away and have a power outage!
Who restarts your automation?
How do you log on to check things?
Rhetorical questions!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »

Tuiceman is absolutely correct, at least for my case.  I've got way too many macros that need the PC on to work.  Plus I now have X10 commander and Iwatch mobile running on my Iphone.  It would be frustrating to be away and not be able to access those features due to a power failure and restart.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »

I had pointed this out to one of the developers about two weeks ago, and asked if there were plans to allow the X10nets service to act as a "background" server for all of the functions that require AHP to be open. Since it starts when the system boots up, it would, in theory, always be available.
He told me that at this point, there are no plans to do that, since X10nets is so critical for the operation of the system in general, and they don't want to make radical changes to it that this function would require. He didn't, however, rule out the possibility of developing a SECOND service, specifically to handle all of the functions that require AHP to be running (run-from-PC macros, the mobile plugins, etc).
I'm all for that idea.
Perhaps if more members chime in requesting it, they might try to develop it (and I REALLY hope they don't make us pay extra for the "Background Service" plugin - this is something that should have been part of the software from Day 1!).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »

Do you really want AHP to start when the PC boots? 

Dan Lawrence
If you used some of the plug-ins you would see the need to have AHP start up when Windows does.
Now I realize you may think you don't need them. But many users here use them and without AHP running macros created for them it would/could mean disaster!

Yep! Nothing against Dan... it's easy to slip into a groove (I have to actively work at keeping my setup up-to-date). Not everyone feels compelled to have the additional smartness of computer control of their home. But I wouldn't want to be without it! This isn't the 80's. Computers aren't three months wages... old dust collecting PC's are everywhere... and many of those are MORE than enough for Home Automation. Running a HA PC can add tons of security and convenience at very, very little cost. Computer [software] controlled Home Automation... is the good stuff!

If a brief power outage causes me to drop power for a few seconds... that may be the only reboot I get in months. Thank goodness that DVD/BlueRay players don't have built in clocks [like the old VCRs], cable boxes update their own time (as do computers and phones) and the alarm clock has a battery backup. The only way we know a power outage occurred is because the microwave loses its clock.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 01:08:32 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ps653

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:48:36 PM »

What about putting AHP on a laptop or using a UPS.  That should handle most power outages.

But I agree there should be a service.

But heck, if they can't code a simple fix for their software to properly handle their own hardware (XS467s newer than 2008 - i.e. softstart) I wouldn't hold my breath. B:(

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 07:31:23 PM »

I just run with the user having no log-on password. Then I place AHP and such in the start up. So when booted (or rebooted) the computer just runs to setup.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.