Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AHP and CPU usage  (Read 9907 times)

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
AHP and CPU usage
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:00:21 AM »

AHP is using anywhere from 40% to 96% of my CPU availability at all times.  Huge fluctuations when I view system processes in task manager.  I'm seeing these levels even when no activity is occuring in AHP.

What's your normal AHP CPU usage when AHP is idle?  To me my AHP usage seems high. 

V3.296
XP P4 1.8mhz
1G RAM

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: AHP and CPU usage
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:16:11 AM »

What version of AHP are you running and what plug-ins if any?
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

peg-leg

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »

iwatch mobile pro (running 2 cameras, soon to be 6)
onalert mobile
Onalert
Smart Macros
Myhouse Online (installed but I don't use it anymore.)

3rd party:
X10 commander
BVC

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »

Ah running video is taxing on memory and the CPU.
XP min mem requirements is 1 meg.
Get out your mother board book and see what CPU it will handle and the max memory as well. then go to a Shop that deals with used computers and try to upgrade either your CPU, Memory or both.
Also look into getting the newest AHP (3.301) I believe 3.296 had a CPU issue reported by other users.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

peg-leg

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »

Tuicemen,

Thanks for the suggestions.  There's a lot of good deals on used higher power pcs out there.  I'll probably do an upgrade in the future.  Thanks for all the info and advice.

peg-leg

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »

I decided to re-visit this topic, because I'm still having trouble.  Many others on here have older systems than mine and don't seem to be having any issues.

Would some of you please tell me the CPU % when your PC is sitting idle, but with AHP open?  It seems to me that if AHP isn't performing any functions at a particular moment, my CPU usage shouldn't be around 70%.  However it's consistently runnning that high.  When I issue a voice command to BVC, the CPU usage % goes to 100% and I've noticed that BVC voice can get a little choppy at times when responding. 

Programs running are:  AHP, BVC, X10 Commander, and Logmein.  These are open, but not performing any functions at the moment. 

I have almost triple that number open my work PC and the CPU is only running around 5%.  Something else must be going on for my AHP pc to be hitting 70% consistently.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me.  Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »

I don't have any plug ins that may add to the CPU load.
AHP 3.305 with CM15A
XP SP3
Quad Core Q6600 2.40Ghz.
4 GB ram.

CPU usage 0% to 7%
Page File 560MB.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »

I run an old P3 648 MHz with 768MB of RAM
Xp home edition
AHP 3.228 with the entire suite (but not the newer phone apps)
My CPU seems to be running a about 7 percent with spikes up around 30 percent
I also run BVC and Weatheraloud. But I am not running any cameras through the PC at this time.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:33:14 PM »

This isn't going to be much help, but if i can share my story...

I have *one* Vista box, that after about four hours of normal operation - something happens and the CPU just pegs to 100%.

This will happen if the box is just booted and untouched.  Nuttin else running.
Wiped the disk clean and reloaded the OS - same thing.

My thoughts?
There's something in there, hardware wise or something that drives Windows crazy.
It's been a total bear for me to debug.

I sincerely *hope* your issue is a lot easier to find.
Have you run msconfig and checked to see what services are getting started?

It might not be all AHP.

peg-leg

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »

Thanks for your replies everyone.  It appears it's AHP.  I closed AHP and the CPU% went down to fluctuationg between 2% and 11%.  I just can't understand why AHP is using so much memory when no macros or other features are running.  I continually get the MTCCVD logging in the activity monitor so I disconnected the CM15A to see what would happen.   There was no change in the CPU%, it was still running aroud 55% to above 80%. 

I am running 4 cameras, but they aren't recording, I only use them for viewing when selected through Iwatchpro.  Also, I was having this issue before any cameras were added.

Anyone else have an idea as to what could be going on?

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 06:12:57 AM »

I custom built a low power consuming PC (SBC) for use with AHP and X10. The idea was to leave the machine on all the time drawing only 25 watts.
It is an Intel® 1.8 GHz Pentium M with 1 gig of Ram. I run XP SP3 on it. My oberservations have been:
1)Running AHP sans video it runs at about 15% and uses 378 megs of the Ram.
2)When I run it with the video including Ninja operating it jumps to 50% CPU usage.
3) If you try to access it remotely running video (using Logmein or Myhouse online ) it bogs the PC down with the remote access software and AHP evenly splitting 100% usage.
I run AHP on one of my other PC`s (Widows 7 on a Core 2 duo 2.8ghz with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1 gig video card with DDr3 Ram) and the difference is
understandable. AHP uses 3% of CPU time and 12% when running video. Problem is that machine is running at 4 times the power consumption of the SBC.
As mentioned above, PC horsepower is relatively cheap these days and an upgrade may be right for you if you are keen on performance.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »

I don't have any plug ins that may add to the CPU load.
AHP 3.305 with CM15A
XP SP3
Quad Core Q6600 2.40Ghz.
4 GB ram.

CPU usage 0% to 7%
Page File 560MB.

ditto.  win7 64bit.  quad.  0-5% -- unless broke - occassionally it brakes and pulls 25-40% cpu time - I kill it off task mgr and restart and it behaves again for the next month....  no constant video;  just video snapshots on motion every 5 sec for 30 sec at a crack due to x10 video motion codecs never working well enough to screw with so I stick to snapshots only.  I do have a hi res (1280-1600??) IP camera that runs all the time also and it takes about 12% cpu time.

JGM

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 08:58:11 PM »

I'm running current versions of AHP, myhouse, iwatch, and onalert.  The machine is an old AMD processor 950Mhz with 512Mb ram with PCI to USB 2.0 cards.  OS is XP Pro SP3.  AHP runs fine.  Myhouse runs fine with remote connection.  If I connect a VA12A, even without cameras connected, the computer comes to a crawl.  Attempts at rebooting with the VA12A connected fail and hang with a bootlog entry of unable to load BDA something which is one of the files called by the VA12A driver.  If I disconnect the VA12A then everything returns to normal.  I'm using the newer driver sets from x10 and am going to try using the older drivers to test.  I've tried the reloading of all software as per instructions, tried reloading with plugins first then AHP, even c: format and rebuild.  In my case, I think it is USB/driver related but have not definetly isolated to it yet.

peg-leg

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:27 PM »

It appears what I'm experiencing is normal when compared to similar desktops.  I thought I recalled my CPU% running high before adding the va12a.  I'll have to double check that now.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »

I think it may be best to say "va12 takes lots of cpu % - ON SOME MACHINES BUT BY NO MEANS ALL MACHINES."

Anyone using windows 7 with x10 video uses va-12 as the older (va-11?) has no drivers).  As some and i have reported, we have 0-lessthan10% cpu usage.  So I dont think it fair to say any va12 causes heavy cpu usage.

since u r on xp, have u tried to use the other video device to solve3 ur problem?  also, does it slow down in ALL usb ports?  u might have a mixture of 1.x and 2.0 ports and that may help?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.