Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cannot Learn buttons on Dish Network 6.3 IR/UHF Pro remote?  (Read 11705 times)

lorne17

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Cannot Learn buttons on Dish Network 6.3 IR/UHF Pro remote?
« on: January 03, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »

Hello there,

I have received the Nstinct remove and have loved it so far.  However I cannot seem to learn any buttons from my Dish Network remote. 

It is the 6.3 IR/UHF Pro remote  FCC ID: DKNFSK03 EchoStar Technologies Corporation 148787.

I have tried to learn, but everytime I try the Nstinct says it failed?  I have learned buttons from my LG TV and Samsung Bluray without fail.  Why can't it learn from this remote?  There is a switch in the battery case that says A and B.  I flipped it to B and it doesn't work.

Any advice would really help.

Thanks,

Lorne Bourdo

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Cannot Learn buttons on Dish Network 6.3 IR/UHF Pro remote?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »

If the Dish Network Remote is using the UHF RF signal for control. The NStinct will not work as it is IR only.
I looked at the FCC Database and the remotes with that ID do not have an A B switch on then but a configuration key that sets its method of operation.

Can you verify some way the unit is not using the RF control?
A good indication maybe the original remote can do changes in other rooms where a direct IR signal would not work.

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »

FYI:
...maybe stating the obvious but...
Dish remote number 1 is typically IR and is used in the same room as the Dish receiver.
Dish remote number 2 is typically RF and is used in a room other than that of the Dish receiver;
hence, the requirement of that little antenna on the back of the recevier.
So if you're trying to use Remote #2, Brian's correct, you won't meet with success.
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

Brandt

• Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »

You have to take the little gray token off the bottom and flip it around to the black side to get it to transmit IR...otherwise it is just sending UHF.

lorne17

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »

Good feedback.  I will try flipping the grey chip at the bottom tonight.  I'm hoping that works. 

BTW, I use it in the same room, it won't work if I'm not in direct line of site to the receiver so I assume that means UHF or RF.  But if the RF transmitter is on the bottom of the remove covered by the grey chip, then I am hoping that should work as easily as my other remotes did.  Because right now my Nstinct has no button to access the DVR.  Also the skip forward and back doesn't work either.  So I gotta learn some buttons to get it how I want it.  Otherwise this remote so far rocks!

Thanks,
Lorne

troll334

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »

Cool. If you have luck, I might get me one of those bad-boys. I've been sitting on the fence because I've got Dish.
In any event, if your Dish Remote #2 must be used in line-of-sight, either:
It's already set for IR OR
The sat receiver hasn't been configured to hear that RF remote OR
The RF signal from the remote #2 isn't making the trip from the remote location to the sat receiver

Let us know what you find; good luck.
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

lorne17

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »

Well I have a feeling the DVR receiver is setup for IR because the NStinct remote works fine for it, however I just need to add a few buttons to learn i.e. DVR and a couple others.  Otherwise the nstinct works fine for it.

So far, this remote is awesome and very easy to use.  Some people say its a brick but it's really not that much bigger than the rest of my remotes.  Also I plan on getting usb receiver for my HTPC and setting up this remote to control that.  If anyone has info on how to set that up it would be very helpful. 

Thanks,
Lorne

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.