Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camera images are very dark.  (Read 6716 times)

peg-leg

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Camera images are very dark.
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:51:08 PM »

I just received 6 cameras that were listed as new from an Ebay seller that had a very high rating.  They're all XC18A's.  They appeared to have never been opened.  I tested each one and the images are very dark compared to my other x10 cameras.  Switching the channels seemed to lighten the image a little, but not enough.  In daylight, I'm sure they would work fine, but indoors they're darker than what I'm used to.

Has anyone experienced dim or dark images with their cameras?  If so did you find a solution?

Thanks.

peg-leg

Re: Camera images are very dark.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »

I have found a possible solution to this issue.  The cameras I'm having problems with are xc18A's.   I removed the cover from the camera base.  On the circuit board there are 3 small dials.  Two are togther with one separate.  Using a very small flathead screwdriver I was able to turn the dial and brighten the image dramatically.  It's still isn't perfect but it's 100% better than what I had before.  I've only tested the adjustments indoors, and I suspect the results will be even better for outdoor viewing.

troll334

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »

Nice. Helpful !
Haven't cracked my cams open yet...might now tho.
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:22:07 PM »

You can find internal and external photos of the XC18A along with schematics on the FCC web site.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
B4S is the Grantee Code
XC18A is the Product Code.
Under the details tab.

Since the adjustment being turned made the picture stronger. I believe you turned the video level  VR200 to the RF Modulator. If you messed with the other two VR2 and VR3 . They adjust the VCO for the A and D switch setting for the channel frequency's. The channels could have gotten shifted. Unless they where off to start with.  :'

troll334

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:31:58 PM »

Brian !!
It certainly helps having someone on-board that knows RF, FCC, etc...
I think we're gonna start calling you 'The Man from M'  :)
I once thought I'd work there... a great place. They started laying off big-time.
I know a bunch of Ham operators down here at the Ft. Laud. shop. Been there forever.
Anyway, I digress...
'Helpful' by the way
c ya
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:12:11 AM »

You can find internal and external photos of the XC18A along with schematics on the FCC web site.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
B4S is the Grantee Code
XC18A is the Product Code.
Under the details tab.

Since the adjustment being turned made the picture stronger. I believe you turned the video level  VR200 to the RF Modulator. If you messed with the other two VR2 and VR3 . They adjust the VCO for the A and D switch setting for the channel frequency's. The channels could have gotten shifted. Unless they where off to start with.  :'

Hi Brian say what do you mean it made the picture stronger, are in increasing the reception ???  Thanks

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:05:31 AM »

No it does not look like it changes the transmitters power.
It just over modulates the video and it it may appear to be stronger.
Another thought is it was under modulated from the factory and now it is closer to normal. I doubt the final adjustments are done that close.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.