Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't swtich cameras  (Read 11339 times)

Wings06J

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can't swtich cameras
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »

After installing 2 of my 4 cameras and  trying to get any sort of video from them with no success I was about ready to return the whole lot. I bought the "like new" stuff set so no instruction manuals. Thankfully after searching the forum I now have those two cameras giving me a good image. The problem is I can only receive the image from the closer camera. It seems the close camera refuses to turn off to let the other cameras signal get through. I haven't started messing with the motion sensors yet. i wanted to get the camera's in position first. The cameras are J2 & J3. I also tried putting a J1 into Vanguard to try and get it to shut off both cameras but that didn't help.

My equipment:
1   Certified Like New: Wireless PC Transceiver   CM19ASD
4   Certified Like New: EagleEye Motion Sensor   MS14ASD
1   Certified Like New: Wireless Transceiver   TM751SD
1   Certified Like New: USB Video Capture Adapter   VA12ASD
4   Certified Like New: Ninja Pan/Tilt Kit   VK74ASD
1   Certified Like New: Tiny Wireless Video Receiver   VR36ASD
1   Small Video receiver WITH audio   VR42A
2   Scratch-n-Dent Xcam2 Wireless WideEye Camera   XX17SD
2   Certified Like New: Wireless NightWatch Camera   XX20ASD

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Can't swtich cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »

The camera power supplies are controlled by power line signals.
I believe you have the unit code group of four covered with a common house code.
It very well could be the power line signals are not reaching either camera as both didn't go off with the J1 On signal.
Make sure the TM751 is set to J as it is what is taking the RF command from the CM19A and putting it on the power line.
You may want to move the TM751 around to a few outlets and see if one may control one or both of the cameras.
Here are a few threads on troubleshooting X10 problems.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=fia4somvt646m1f9ar60hogk94&topic=7951.0
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:58:23 PM by Brian H »

Wings06J

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

I've moved the TM751 to about 6 different outlets, including putting it in the same outlet pair and other outlets on the same breaker as the nearest camera that I can't get to shut off. It still wont turn off that camera. It's also set to the J house code.

troll334

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:17:01 PM »

Let's try to eliminate bad equipment...
Plug both cams and the TM751 in the same outlet (use a good multi-outlet extension cord (not a filtered surge
suppressor)). Now try to switch back-n-forth between the cams; check the images.
If it's all good, start moving one of the cams farther away; trying to keep it plugged in to an outlet on the same
phase (leg) of your breaker panel. Continue to switch back-n-forth...review the images (keep the paddle antenna
on the cams pointed toward the receiver at all times).
What happens?
I suspect Brian's already hot on the trail...
You've likely got some noise on the powerline.
AHP 3.236. CM15A. XTB-IIR. XTBM. Hauppauge 950Q.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:10:31 AM »

Try the tests troll334 suggested and let us know the results.
You may want to look at the CM19A when changing the camera being turned on. The RED LED should flash.

Wings06J

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »

Tried plugging both cameras and the TM751 into one extension cord. Vanguard still wouldn't switch which camera I could see. The red LED does flash on the CM19A when I select different cameras both from vanguard and from the CR14A remote.

I have a UPS power supply on my desktop. I heard those can cause interference so I unplugged it and ran the software off my laptop with the same results.

What's next?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »

Tried plugging both cameras and the TM751 into one extension cord. Vanguard still wouldn't switch which camera I could see. The red LED does flash on the CM19A when I select different cameras both from vanguard and from the CR14A remote.
What's next?
Is the RF signal from the CM19 getting to the TM751? Did the CR14A get the cameras to switch when they and TM751 were plugged in to same outlet? The camera power supplies Unit Codes must be addressed as 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5,6,7,8 etc (sequentially in groups of four starting with 1. ( i.e  4, 5, 6, 7 will not work).

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Wings06J

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »

What's next?
Is the RF signal from the CM19 getting to the TM751? Did the CR14A get the cameras to switch when they and TM751 were plugged in to same outlet? The camera power supplies Unit Codes must be addressed as 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5,6,7,8 etc (sequentially in groups of four starting with 1. ( i.e  4, 5, 6, 7 will not work).

I tested it with the TM751 and CM19 in line of sight of each other. The signal should be getting there. As said in my first post the cameras are addressed J2 & J3. The TM751 is set to the J house code. The camera's did not switch when plugged into the same outlet.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »

I tested it with the TM751 and CM19 in line of sight of each other. The signal should be getting there.

As said in my first post the cameras are addressed J2 & J3.

Sorry I missed the J2 J3 addressing. I think your testing has narrowed it to a camera power supply not turning off. I would contact X10 for an exchange.

edited by tuicemen to fix quote
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:32:03 PM by Tuicemen »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 06:29:01 PM »

Since both the CM19A and the CR14A don't control them It also could be the TM751 not processing the RF signals.
Try rotating all the dials around a few times. In case the switches are intermittent.

Wings06J

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »

Spun the dials on the camera power supplies and the TM751. Still no change. I guess monday I need to call to get a replacement... unless there's any other suggestions?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »

Since you have other cameras that came with your order have you tried to swap them?  ???
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Wings06J

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:48 AM »

I've used 3 of the 4 cameras and 5 different power supplies (I have 4 pan & tilt bases, only one of which is hooked up to a camera).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.